Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fare with American but first flight operated by BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

Hi all,

I am looking at a trip from ARN to ORD via LHR on aa.com. The first flight from ARN to LHR is operated by BA and as a BA Silver (Oneworld sapphire) I have been able to get one free piece of checked baggage previously on flights where I booked on aa.com and the first flight was operated by AA. The first flight from ARN to LHR is operated by BA and so would they allow me to check in one bag for free or does the free bag only apply when I am checking in at an AA desk? Same applies on the way back although the first flight from ORD to LHR will be operated by AA.

My preference is to book on aa.com due to getting Main cabin extra seat selection (and of course the free checked bag if that applies in the above case).

Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I suspect that would be a no, since it will look like a BA booking at ARN, and Basic fares don't have a free checked bag allowance. Moreover you can't realistically argue about it in ARN if you are declined. You would be able to pay for that bag, in advance or at the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I suspect that would be a no, since it will look like a BA booking at ARN, and Basic fares don't have a free checked bag allowance. Moreover you can't realistically argue about it in ARN if you are declined. You would be able to pay for that bag, in advance or at the airport.
Thanks. So I could pay for the ARN to LHR leg on ba.com (even though I booked on aa.com) and re-check it in for free at LHR with AA?

Edit: I checked my previous aa.com booking confirmation email and it states baggage allowance as 23kg and 2 checked bags allowed - this was a basic economy booking (which normally excludes a checked bag) and so it must have automatically added the baggage after the system recognised my BAEC number / status. I wonder if it would do the same again for the above itinerary. Clearly I could show it to the check in staff at ARN.

Last edited by Saint4805; Feb 3, 2023 at 4:20 pm
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Thanks. So I could pay for the ARN to LHR leg on ba.com (even though I booked on aa.com) and re-check it in for free at LHR with AA? Do you know approx how much it would be to pay to check in the bag for the first flight? £20-£30?
It's SEK 450 for the shorthaul, if done in advance, or SEK 850 for all the way to the USA. I'm not sure they would allow just a shorthaul baggage booking, and even if they did it would mean recovering the bag and going landside at LHR.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks. So I could pay for the ARN to LHR leg on ba.com (even though I booked on aa.com) and re-check it in for free at LHR with AA? Do you know approx how much it would be to pay to check in the bag for the first flight? £20-£30?
Are you traveling on separate tickets? If not, I expect that BA will charge you the checked-bag fee for a trans-Atlantic journey, and your bag will be checked through to ORD. I would be surprised if BA were to permit you to short-check your bag to LHR, and just pay the intra-European baggage fee.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you traveling on separate tickets? If not, I expect that BA will charge you the checked-bag fee for a trans-Atlantic journey, and your bag will be checked through to ORD. I would be surprised if BA were to permit you to short-check your bag to LHR, and just pay the intra-European baggage fee.
I haven't booked yet but the plan was to travel on one ticket. Thanks for your input. I'll have a look at some other options.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:25 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

My preference is to book on aa.com due to getting Main cabin extra seat selection (and of course the free checked bag if that applies in the above case).
I don't believe you need to book on aa.com to get Main Cabin Extra – you should get that as a BA Silver wherever you book the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.