Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID requirement for domestic flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
ID requirement for domestic flight

I was travelling to NCL with hand baggage. At the gate I was told rather brusquely that I needed ID to board. Is this normal because I am sure that all my previous flights without hold baggage I didn’t need to show anything. And it was only by chance that I had my provisional driving licence on me.

have I missed something?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Not aware of any change in policy - BA doesn’t usually require ID for domestic travel (unless checking in a bag). Formal guidance on BA website is:

If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Thanks. That is not as precise as it should be, as it is couched as advice not a requirement.

I will complain in order to try to get a better answer - and about the rather rude response of the person guarding the gate.
Silver Fox and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
At LHR? Did you not board using the automatic gates where you just scan your bp? Where were you asked for ID exactly during boarding?

Btw I have done two CTA flights today departing LHR and no ID needed - just as normal - so definitely no change.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
A new start , previously worked for Ryanair !
Bluekjp likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
BA doesn't systematically require ID to board domestic flights (nor in my experience LHR-DUB, which might get them into trouble with INIS some day), but I believe there is verbiage on the website stating they're entitled to ask for it.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by stifle
, but I believe there is verbiage on the website stating they're entitled to ask for it.
But are they "entitled" to refuse boarding if you don't provide an ID?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Yes, see (for example) section 7a33 of the BA Conditions of Carriage.
RJD1983 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
At LHR? Did you not board using the automatic gates where you just scan your bp? Where were you asked for ID exactly during boarding?

Btw I have done two CTA flights today departing LHR and no ID needed - just as normal - so definitely no change.
It was at LHR. There was a rather rude person at the beginning of the line leading to the automatic gates insisting everyone produced ID.
KARFA likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by hsmall
It was at LHR. There was a rather rude person at the beginning of the line leading to the automatic gates insisting everyone produced ID.
sounds very much like they were making up their own rules.
Radiation Station and bzado like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Rather academic since they don’t ask - unless you get an idiot as in this case, and unfortunately you can’t write rules for idiots.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Were they accepting passport cards?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by KARFA

TWO? Did you have to go home because you forgot your swimming trunks? You are a man of mystery for sure Karfa!
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
I was asked for ID when checking in a bag to Glasgow in September. Was a bit of a shock, but luckily I had my driving licence with me…
Old Feb 3, 2023, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by bafan
I was asked for ID when checking in a bag to Glasgow in September. Was a bit of a shock, but luckily I had my driving licence with me…
Checking in a bag requires ID even on a domestic.

Travelling hand baggage only on a domestic doesn't require photo ID on BA and I have done this countless times. It's the purpose of biometrics at LHR too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.