Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA193 delays and DFW connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
BA193 delays and DFW connections

I’m flying HAM-LHR-DFW-CUN on Friday with family.

Was just looking at BA193 flights for the past few months and it seems they are, without exception, one to five hours late every day. We only have a 1.40 connection (AA) at DFW and there is only one later flight that day.

A few questions as this seems pretty impossible given the lack of on-time flights.

1. How fast is DFW at the moment on a Friday afternoon connecting int to int.?
2. Does BA use any fast track cards when a flight has a late arrival?
3. Is the rebooking process smooth/automatic if we miss the flight?
4. Who handles hotel bookings in Dallas if needed?
5. Do we need to pick up baggage or can it go directly to the onwards flight? If so will they have the relevant bag tags at HAM?
6. Anything I should be aware of or that I can do to prevent too much hassle? Traveling with three kids…

Thanks.

(My status is with *A and SkyTeam so not OW status if that makes a difference).
Old Jan 30, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Last time i flew into Dallas on a Friday night it was slow due to only 2 lanes being open. If with 3 kids and on a tight connection, I'd plead with someone around the queue area to get you towards the front of a queue. It's a tight connection indeed, especially with kids in tow and the poor timekeeping on the route, but it can be done. If you're going to miss then it should auto rebook you but I guess you'd go to flight connections and they'll advice. Just be sure to have both AA and BA apps to be able to view everything in the app
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by SASegments
Was just looking at BA193 flights for the past few months and it seems they are, without exception, one to five hours late every day.
Not sure where you're getting your information from?

According to FlightRadar, in the last 90 days it has only been more than an hour late on 20 occasions. Now, that's still not a great record but it doesn't tally with your remark above. By contrast, in that time period it's been on time or early on 30 days. That leaves 40 days when it's been somewhere between around 10 and 60 minutes late. A connection of 1h 40m with children in tow would not fill me with optimism but if you're lucky enough to catch one of the 33% of days when it's on time or early you have a fighting chance.

Good luck and please report back and let us know how you get on.
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:54 pm

5) when checking in at HAM, they will tag your bags through to CUN. upon arrival at DFW after immigration, you will need to claim your bags, go through customs and hand them back off to AA.

It's possible that when you recheck your bags, there might be an AA representative. Don't ever recall any type of 'fastrack'. Any issues once you are in DFW will be AA. IIRC, there are service centers throughout the airport. I'd pull up a map of the transport at DFW to make sure you know which gate you are going to and the best way to get there.

Are you flying Business or Coach?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by sdfamily
5) when checking in at HAM, they will tag your bags through to CUN. upon arrival at DFW after immigration, you will need to claim your bags, go through customs and hand them back off to AA.

It's possible that when you recheck your bags, there might be an AA representative. Don't ever recall any type of 'fastrack'. Any issues once you are in DFW will be AA. IIRC, there are service centers throughout the airport. I'd pull up a map of the transport at DFW to make sure you know which gate you are going to and the best way to get there.

Are you sure, I thought DFW was an ITI airport and hence the bags would bypass the requirement to reclaim.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Are you sure, I thought DFW was an ITI airport and hence the bags would bypass the requirement to reclaim.
OP would need to make sure they get the ITI sticker put on their bags at the initial point of departure, which might not be an option in HAM.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
1hr 40 mins? Racy and definitely not something I’d book.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
I’m flying HAM-LHR-DFW-CUN on Friday with family.

Was just looking at BA193 flights for the past few months and it seems they are, without exception, one to five hours late every day. We only have a 1.40 connection (AA) at DFW and there is only one later flight that day.

A few questions as this seems pretty impossible given the lack of on-time flights.

1. How fast is DFW at the moment on a Friday afternoon connecting int to int.?
2. Does BA use any fast track cards when a flight has a late arrival?
3. Is the rebooking process smooth/automatic if we miss the flight?
4. Who handles hotel bookings in Dallas if needed?
5. Do we need to pick up baggage or can it go directly to the onwards flight? If so will they have the relevant bag tags at HAM?
6. Anything I should be aware of or that I can do to prevent too much hassle? Traveling with three kids…

Thanks.

(My status is with *A and SkyTeam so not OW status if that makes a difference).
DFW local here.

1.I have global entry which takes no longer than 5 minutes, although Fri. afternoon for non-GE could be 15-45 minutes?
2. No.
3. There are many flights a day from DFW-CUN (I think like 6-8) so probably yes.
4. Have no idea. There is a Grand Hyatt and a Hyatt Regency on property and every hotel name under the sun off airport property.
5. Usually you'll pick up your bag and then drop it off at the bag drop after customs before you go out of immigration and before to go back through security. I've never had it where it transfers through when you have to clear US immigration buy maybe someone else has an idea.
6. Hopefully your CUN flight is out of Terminal D, where you'll clear immigration. Otherwise, go immediately to the Skylink train to ride over to whichever terminal (A, B, C) you're going out on.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Not sure where you're getting your information from?

According to FlightRadar, in the last 90 days it has only been more than an hour late on 20 occasions. Now, that's still not a great record but it doesn't tally with your remark above. By contrast, in that time period it's been on time or early on 30 days. That leaves 40 days when it's been somewhere between around 10 and 60 minutes late. A connection of 1h 40m with children in tow would not fill me with optimism but if you're lucky enough to catch one of the 33% of days when it's on time or early you have a fighting chance.

Good luck and please report back and let us know how you get on.
FlightRadar. Maybe you looked more throughly but looking down the list of departure times they are pretty consistently late. Sorry for the inaccuracy.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdfamily

Coach unfortunately...
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
1hr 40 mins? Racy and definitely not something I’d book.
The price difference between this option and all other options on ba.com was very significant so with five tickets we decided to take the chance even if we would have preferred to have more time. Also, there are quite a few flights from DFW to CUN every day so rebooking seems possible without missing a lot of time in Mexico.

We did two stops in ATL a year ago that was similar. They were tight but we made both. Apart from that we have tried to avoid US connections so not a lot of recent experience.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
OP would need to make sure they get the ITI sticker put on their bags at the initial point of departure, which might not be an option in HAM.
Yes, that was what I thought also. Also I don't know if the check in agent will even know what it is.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
DFW local here.

1.I have global entry which takes no longer than 5 minutes, although Fri. afternoon for non-GE could be 15-45 minutes?
2. No.
3. There are many flights a day from DFW-CUN (I think like 6-8) so probably yes.
4. Have no idea. There is a Grand Hyatt and a Hyatt Regency on property and every hotel name under the sun off airport property.
5. Usually you'll pick up your bag and then drop it off at the bag drop after customs before you go out of immigration and before to go back through security. I've never had it where it transfers through when you have to clear US immigration buy maybe someone else has an idea.
6. Hopefully your CUN flight is out of Terminal D, where you'll clear immigration. Otherwise, go immediately to the Skylink train to ride over to whichever terminal (A, B, C) you're going out on.
Thank you very much! Very helpful.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
FlightRadar. Maybe you looked more throughly but looking down the list of departure times they are pretty consistently late. Sorry for the inaccuracy.
I checked arrival times not departure times. It’s the former that matters to you and your chances of making the connection.
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I checked arrival times not departure times. It’s the former that matters to you and your chances of making the connection.
I very much agree with that but when on a tight connection it’s preferable to have an on time departure I guess :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.