Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at LHR two days before coronation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Transit at LHR two days before coronation?

I’m looking at a BA itinerary YVR - CAI, which involves a transit at LHR two days before the coronation. Is this a good idea, or can I expect quasi-normal operations?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can expect normal operational conditions. On the day of the Coronation I would expect some disruption in the afternoon, as there was for her late Majesty's funeral.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I’m looking at a BA itinerary YVR - CAI, which involves a transit at LHR two days before the coronation. Is this a good idea, or can I expect quasi-normal operations?

im not getting the “or” - wouldn’t quasi normal operations what would make it a good idea?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by orbitmic
im not getting the “or” - wouldn’t quasi normal operations what would make it a good idea?
You’re right about the grammar. But my experience transiting at LHR has never been good, just less bad on some occasions.

In any event, my concern was more about mass arrivals and ensuing chaos just ahead of the coronation.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'd expect normality. Possibly some increased inbound passenger numbers, and a few people heading abroad due to the extra bank holiday, but nothing the airport shouldn't be able to handle and most of any increase would be originating or terminating there, so not hitting transfer lines.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Sopwith
You’re right about the grammar. But my experience transiting at LHR has never been good, just less bad on some occasions.

In any event, my concern was more about mass arrivals and ensuing chaos just ahead of the coronation.
I departed from LHR on the day of the (formerly) dream wedding of H&M and it was absolutely business as usual and the far bigger event compared to the coronation. If there is an issue more likely around the Friday before given some my use the bank holiday for an extended weekend abroad (departures).
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by drwook
I'd expect normality. Possibly some increased inbound passenger numbers, and a few people heading abroad due to the extra bank holiday, but nothing the airport shouldn't be able to handle and most of any increase would be originating or terminating there, so not hitting transfer lines.
If fares on Friday the 5th are any guide I'd say there is a bit of an exodus from the UK allowing our American cousins and other tourists plenty of room to "enjoy" it all.

As for a transit of LHR. Set your expectations low and it will all be fine.
drwook likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I guess most of us have never done a coronation so it is difficult to be certain what the mood in the country will be towards it. But, I doubt it will be bigger or more disruptive than HMQ's funeral.
tgsh2006 and AsiaTraveler like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.