Wiki Posts
Search

Should I brave a 787 in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Should I brave a 787 in Y?

Hi all,

I’m planning a trip which may involve travelling on a 787 in Y. I’m bigger (wider) than I’d like to be and am wondering if I should avoid the 787 as the seats may be noticeably narrower than other aircraft in the same category.

I may not have a choice about the cabin due to my travelling companion but there may be a choice on the aircraft (dependant on schedule changes, obviously).

Thoughts?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve done once and it is tough / uncomfortable going. I’m smaller build and still had to sit with one shoulder angled out.

Which route ? As you might get it over and done with on a 6hr, but certainly not a 10+ hour journey
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Friends of mine (short, slim & used to lots of Y travel) recently did it and described it as uncomfortable. I think there was also a trip report from cws a few years ago that didn't leave a positive impression.

I would avoid it if I could...
becks1 and mnhusker like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:49 am

I do... and I'm 6'2 (186cm) and not slim . It's doable, although you do spend a lot of time praying for an empty seat next to you!
(Annoyingly it's typically for work who are willing to fork out $2,500 TATL on a semi-flexible ticket in Y...).
oceanscape and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Anything that was meant to have 9 seats across that has 10... Only if I was a toddler again!
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Anything that was meant to have 9 seats across that has 10... Only if I was a toddler again!
787 was meant for 8 across but is 9….
orbitmic and etiene like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I take a size 40 suit jacket and my shoulders are wider than the seat. I did Y for an 8 hours trans atlantic and I swore never again. You'll be very intimate with your neighbours whether you want to be or not.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:01 am

Flew Economy on 787s on BA, LATAM, Air France. Frankly, it's OK. If you think you'll be uncomfortable, or if you think you might make others uncomfortable, book Premium Economy.

The one thing that sets BA's 787s behind are the IFE box and the fact that the Recaro seats have armrests that don't go all the way up. The 781s don't have that problem.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BAAMEXPP
Hi all,

I’m planning a trip which may involve travelling on a 787 in Y. I’m bigger (wider) than I’d like to be and am wondering if I should avoid the 787 as the seats may be noticeably narrower than other aircraft in the same category.

I may not have a choice about the cabin due to my travelling companion but there may be a choice on the aircraft (dependant on schedule changes, obviously).

Thoughts?
Have you considered taking one of the "pair" seats at the back of the cabin? On the 788 I think it's row 39, on the 789 it's 43 and on the 781 it's rows 46-48. There's never a guarantee that you won't get someone sitting next to you, but I think it would be a much lower chance if you were a solo traveller in one of those - and if you get the window seat, then you'll have some additional space to the side as well.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
In my opinion, Y in a BA 787 is fine if:

1) It is a relative short long haul sector (i.,e. USA East Coast); and
2) You and the person next to you are not that wide/fat.

As for 2, if you have a larger person wedged in the middle seat, then it becomes very uncomfortable.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Last did it back in 2018 and hope I don't have to again, but I was 10kg heavier then than now. Still, I'd try aim for WTP if you can.
drwook likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'll second TTmex - I'm bigger than I once was, and it's just about doable but no fun based on a flight a few years ago; I made it but zero rest and the day of arrival was a virtual write off. WTP isn't exactly the height of luxury but that bit more space makes it a lot more endurable.
becks1 and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
For your health and sanity please don’t do it. I have and it’s not a pleasant experience. Your body will thank you.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CKBA
I do... and I'm 6'2 (186cm) and not slim . It's doable, although you do spend a lot of time praying for an empty seat next to you!
(Annoyingly it's typically for work who are willing to fork out $2,500 TATL on a semi-flexible ticket in Y...).
This only makes sense if the flexible part of the ticket is frequently being utilised, otherwise it’s crazy when you can get a business class ticket for less.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by drwook
I'll second TTmex - I'm bigger than I once was, and it's just about doable but no fun based on a flight a few years ago; I made it but zero rest and the day of arrival was a virtual write off. WTP isn't exactly the height of luxury but that bit more space makes it a lot more endurable.
Yep, WTP doesn't do the luxury bit, but in general the seats are comfortable and make the whole flight bearable. You can also get a decent amount of recline to get some rest. I've managed 6 hours straight of sleep in WTP.
drwook likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.