Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare rules - options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Fare rules - options

Morning And thanks for the help in advance. I know for certain this question has been asked but I cant seem to find the right search phrase to find it...please feel free to point me to an old post if easier. We are potentially looking at making the most of the Dublin - Mexico sale, with the Mexico element departing and arriving into Gatwick There are then options of flights to Dublin from either Gatwick or Heathrow. What would happen if we chose to fly from Heathrow and missed the flight (3.5hrs between the two does make it a realistic chance if the m25 is up to its usual morning fun as assume will need to bag drop etc at Heathrow). Would Ba automatically book us onto a later flight or could we choose to forego the connection and say we'll make our own arenagements? Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Saeagle
Morning And thanks for the help in advance. I know for certain this question has been asked but I cant seem to find the right search phrase to find it...please feel free to point me to an old post if easier. We are potentially looking at making the most of the Dublin - Mexico sale, with the Mexico element departing and arriving into Gatwick There are then options of flights to Dublin from either Gatwick or Heathrow. What would happen if we chose to fly from Heathrow and missed the flight (3.5hrs between the two does make it a realistic chance if the m25 is up to its usual morning fun as assume will need to bag drop etc at Heathrow). Would Ba automatically book us onto a later flight or could we choose to forego the connection and say we'll make our own arenagements? Thanks.
You are talking about when you arrive back from Mexico? If you miss the flight due to some fault of BA (i.e. a late incoming flight) then they will re-book you no problem.
You could also just not use the last LON-DUB leg and that won't be an issue either (don't make a habit of it etc.).
If you are going CUN-LGW/LHR-DUB then you will have to collect your bags in LGW and then take them to LHR.
Is that what you were asking or have I gone off-piste??

Last edited by crazy8534; Jan 21, 2023 at 2:08 am
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for coming back. We only live 20 minutes from Gatwick and so the thought of going back to dublin to come back is not over appealing, but would do if necessary. I just wondered what would happen if we missed the last leg, especially if it was from another airport. I appreciate to miss it from Gatwick, when flying into Gatwick would be a harder excuse.

would ba try and claim the difference in any fares?

thanks
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
If you do it occasionally, and book directly through BA, then you are vanishingly unlikely to run into problems.

BA have in the past gone after at least one travel agent because a lot of their customers were skipping the last leg, hence my advice to book directly.

As you say, traffic/breakdowns/sudden illness happens, so an occasional missed flight won't be noticed. If you're doing it every week, BA might start to pay attention.

(just in case anyone subsequently reading this is unaware, missing the first flight will inevitably lead to your whole itinerary being cancelled - you have to start in DUB or wherever your ticket starts in)
Saeagle likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
No, BA wouldn't claim back any fare difference - this is discussed in a lot of threads around skipping last legs. They can theoretically sanction travel agents but they won't go after individuals.

It's essentially no risk. Your bags will be checked through to Gatwick regardless. You might possibly be routed onto EI from LGW if there was a delay, but you would still have to recheck bags. As that would also imply irrops there's a chance of being able to move the LGW to DUB to another date and have it as part of a day trip.
Saeagle likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information and help. I assume we would not be checked in for the last leg if the flight was departing from Lhr. I appreciate bags would need to be collected regardless.

Thanks again for your help
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
You would be "checked in" but moving your bags is your responsibility. Then you will just be a no show on the last leg. If you missed the connection due to it being BA's fault then you might be able to move that last leg. Circumstances change. Unless there is a clear pattern then it's not an issue.
Saeagle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.