Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why do BA sell flights with tight connections?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do BA sell flights with tight connections?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:05 am

For many domestic to long-haul routes that pass through LHR, BA offers several options for the domestic leg, with tight connections typically a little more expensive than longer ones. It is up to the customer to choose between the relative certainty of making the long connection and the reduced overall journey time (and earlier arrival) of the tight one.

Revenue Management probably set the difference so that it works to BA's advantage, taking into account the compensation and subsistence costs of missed connections, perhaps even considering the cost of extra time spent in lounges by passengers with long (voluntary or involuntary) times between flights.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is MCT set by the airline or the airport?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Agent69
Is MCT set by the airline or the airport?
Airline. Some airports have a dialogue with airlines about it though.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
I personally, enjoy the drama of short connections within T5....T5B or T5C to T5 (when satellite security not available) and return to T5B or T5C, using the tunnel under the train for a jogging workout in each direction, and even fitting in a coffee and a pastry in the T5B lounge from time to time depending on T5 security.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
That being said, when I'm booking a connection from Edi to a long haul destination, I like to come down to Heathrow the night before.
Apparently, we have something in common...
Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:07 pm

One thing I feel very comfortable saying is that BA will absolutely have considered this when setting MCT. Like a lot of things it’s a trade-off… but they’ve clearly decided on balance that the risk of occasional misconnect+compensation is worth it for the additional sales opportunities it allows. There are plenty of itineraries that wouldn’t be possible (or would require an overnight) if MCT were longer. Indeed they’re sophisticated enough to plan which flights go to T3 on the basis of connecting flows.

MCT will be set on the basis that X percentile will make it. To some extent there’s an observation bias on FT, where we only ever see those who are worried (and occasionally some of the 100-X where it did go wrong). No one ever comes here to share that they made a short connection just fine.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm actually quite happy to be compensated with a hotel room and cash for a misconnect, I don't value my time much and I'm always travelling for leisure. I booked a 50 minute connection on the last flight of the night at ARN and ended up with a night in the airport hotel which was nice by my standards and like 400 euro or something which SAS made totally painless to claim. I was happy

I have a small BA credit to use ($400 CAD) if anyone has a routing they'd recommend to get a compensated misconnect, let me know
Old Jan 14, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
VIE is now 30min for most OS-OS flights --> and it usually is enough time for lounge ;-)

It's an incredibly efficient airport, my home
25 mins too and I have done it many times. They usually pick me up with a car and drive me all the way to the other flight can’t complain
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:24 am

Why is the MCT not longer?

Because BA never start boarding on time anyway

I'm being facetious, but I think the number of missed connections would be higher, if BA was better at commencing boarding on time, and therefore always closing the gate at T-20.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm actually quite happy to be compensated with a hotel room and cash for a misconnect, I don't value my time much and I'm always travelling for leisure. I booked a 50 minute connection on the last flight of the night at ARN and ended up with a night in the airport hotel which was nice by my standards and like 400 euro or something which SAS made totally painless to claim. I was happy

I have a small BA credit to use ($400 CAD) if anyone has a routing they'd recommend to get a compensated misconnect, let me know
I only travel for leisure and try for a connection of around 2hrs (time for a cup of tea in the lounge).However, I've often wondered about booking the shortest connection possible to maximise the chance of compo. I'm certain there must be a living to be made out of it if you book the correct flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.