Wiki Posts
Search

How long before masks reintroduced?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
How long before masks reintroduced?

Just seen a report that the WHO(not the group!) are recommending masks should be worn on long haul flights. Any bets on how long it will be before BA pick this up and run with it??
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No no no!! Please go to OMNI or Coronavirus and travel - FlyerTalk Forums for this kind of chat !

Life is all rosey
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
Just seen a report that the WHO(not the group!) are recommending masks should be worn on long haul flights. Any bets on how long it will be before BA pick this up and run with it??
I flew to LGW on Iberia Express from Madrid a few weeks back (just before Christmas) and they (IBX) still require you to wear masks ??? Could not believe it but they told me that's the way it is as they handed me one of those disposal masks that I hadn't worn in ages - quite bizarre
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC
BA will follow any laws (not recommendations) made by the jurisdictions they fly to and from. I would be utterly staggered if they (or any airline) imposed a mandate through choice, as it's bad for business and bad for staff relations.

I'll save my thoughts on the WHO for another time and place.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:01 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Any bets on how long it will be before BA pick this up and run with it??
I'd bet on never. Doesn't seem to be any political will for anything of the sort.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
BA won’t do it without a government making them. It would be bad for business to unilaterally impose a requirement, as many people would prefer to fly without masks and accept a greater risk of acquiring a respiratory tract infection. You can argue the ethics, science or practicality of mask use on planes in OMNI, but I can’t see this making sense from a business perspective.
RNdouble likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I’m fine with “We recommend that you keep your seatbelt fastened and visible even when the seatbelt signs are switched off. The World Health Organisation recommend that masks should be worn on longhaul flights. Thank you.”
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I flew to LGW on Iberia Express from Madrid a few weeks back (just before Christmas) and they (IBX) still require you to wear masks ??? Could not believe it but they told me that's the way it is as they handed me one of those disposal masks that I hadn't worn in ages - quite bizarre
Much how I felt when being told to wear one on the Aerobus from/to BCN recently. Turns out that masking is still mandatory on public transport in Spain. Goes to show how quickly BA forgot the line about masks still being required to destinations where they are still mandatory. Thankfully.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Varies
I shall continue to wear a mask on board whether or not it's mandatory. I agree with others that it's down to personal choice. But hopefully, anyone with any common sense will wear one if they think they may be infectious. I appreciate the debates about how effective they are, but I go with the swiss cheese model.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone know what prompted the WHO to make this recommendation? I thought that things were pretty much under control (other than China).

Looking at the UK infection rates they look to be falling by 20 - 30% a week - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deta...tive-map/cases
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ttama
I shall continue to wear a mask on board whether or not it's mandatory. I agree with others that it's down to personal choice. But hopefully, anyone with any common sense will wear one if they think they may be infectious. I appreciate the debates about how effective they are, but I go with the swiss cheese model.
Please don’t self proclaim yourself the depositary of common sense. My common sense says otherwise. Thats what personal choice is. Thank you
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ttama
If you think you may be infectious and you are in public you’re selfish, not exercising common sense.
Scots_Al, mikeyfly, etiene and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
Please don’t self proclaim yourself the depositary of common sense. My common sense says otherwise. Thats what personal choice is. Thank you
I believe he is speaking about someone who believes they are infectious!
etiene likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:07 pm

Setting aside your biased assessment of your own 'common sense' for a moment, it seems your attentiveness to detail could use some improvement. Instead of jumping to conclusions, you might have realized the other poster merely suggested it is a sound and practical choice (i.e. common sense) to wear a mask if you believe you might be infectious. And no, "common sense" is not equivalent to personal choice. In fact, it's often the opposite.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Who needs common sense... 8) When we can have Science!!! FACTS are FACTS!

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoLockdownsNoMasks/
1Aturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.