Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row Luggage Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Exit Row Luggage Policy

Has there been a recent change in baggage policy for emergency exits (on Short Haul in this instance)? I've been on a couple of A320s in the past week where the aisle passenger in the emergency exit row has put a small bag under the seat in front of them. I was waiting for CC to ask them to store securely prior to taxi and takeoff but they either didn't notice - unlikely - or were content with it being there.

I'd always assumed that you cannot put anything other than your feet in the seat in front of you in an emergency row or indeed bulkhead. Am I mistaken or has this changed recently? And while I'm on, what is the policy on having hand bags on your lap for taxi/takeoff and are you allowed to put your main cabin bag under the seat in front of you for the duration of the flight apart from takeoff and landing?
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No change in policy, no bags in the exit rows, or the seat in front of an exit row, nor at the bulkheads, during taxi, take off and landing. In your lap you are only allowed smaller items that you can fully secure, such as a mobile phone or a book, but not laptops, coats and other clothing. During the flight is fine, unless there is a bad turbulence event coming up, when it's back to full securisation. Usually BA crew are pretty good at spotting those dark handbags hidden down the side of the front seat, but once in a while the crew may not notice or not realise they are passing the exit row. One failed capture is not necessarily the end of the world, mostly aircraft don't crash on the whole, but it shouldn't happen.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No change, nothing under the seat in front.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Had an exit row on FRA-LCY (Cityflyer) and LHR-FRA last week and was asked to put everything up both times.
The same applied to the person in the aisle seat, so I don't think there has been a change in policy.
I was even asked to put up ny coat rather than having it on my lab, which I haven't seen before (but is totally valid of course).
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:59 am

On the topic of crew missing things before takeoff/landing. In a CS last month, my first time, I didn’t use the shoulder strap as I didn’t realise it was there.

Are these compulsory for takeoff/landing as I didn’t use it and the crew didn’t pick up on it, but I definitely felt like I was sliding around a bit.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jamestg
On the topic of crew missing things before takeoff/landing. In a CS last month, my first time, I didn’t use the shoulder strap as I didn’t realise it was there.

Are these compulsory for takeoff/landing as I didn’t use it and the crew didn’t pick up on it, but I definitely felt like I was sliding around a bit.
It's been a while since my last CS flight, but I'm pretty sure they are mandatory.
That would be consistent with how other airlines treat them.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you. They were both small bags so easily missed not least because one of the individuals had put their feet over the bag when CC did final checks. A bit naughty as I expect they knew fine well that what they were doing was wrong. Anyway, as CWS says it's not the end of the world but helpful to know no changes.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Has there been a recent change in baggage policy for emergency exits (on Short Haul in this instance)? I've been on a couple of A320s in the past week where the aisle passenger in the emergency exit row has put a small bag under the seat in front of them. I was waiting for CC to ask them to store securely prior to taxi and takeoff but they either didn't notice - unlikely - or were content with it being there.

I'd always assumed that you cannot put anything other than your feet in the seat in front of you in an emergency row or indeed bulkhead. Am I mistaken or has this changed recently? And while I'm on, what is the policy on having hand bags on your lap for taxi/takeoff and are you allowed to put your main cabin bag under the seat in front of you for the duration of the flight apart from takeoff and landing?
As a habitual exit row passenger I have to admit discreetly pointing out an errant bag below another exit row seat a couple of times as it is a mandatory issue: there are two classes of passengers here; those who really don’t know the rules; often people placed in the middle seat next to me when the TS block fails. The other category is someone who knows the rules but makes an effort to hide their small bag away from the crew.

I don't like being cast as the exit seat monitor but since everyone's job is to contribute to aircraft safety I can live with the approbation I'll probably get from this post.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
this is BA ploicy - but not all airlines have this policy.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by firstlight
As a habitual exit row passenger I have to admit discreetly pointing out an errant bag below another exit row seat a couple of times as it is a mandatory issue: there are two classes of passengers here; those who really don’t know the rules; often people placed in the middle seat next to me when the TS block fails. The other category is someone who knows the rules but makes an effort to hide their small bag away from the crew.
In the first category would be people who may not realise the rules can differ between airlines and countries. Bags are allowed (and encouraged) to be placed under seats in exit rows in the US, for example.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 3:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
this is BA ploicy - but not all airlines have this policy.
That’s right. I find it staggering that AA permit bags under the seat in front at an exit row. I had a flight in economy recently (shock horror) and chose an exit row so witnessed it first hand. The cabin crew saw it and ignored it. In the event of an emergency it would no doubt get messy with people tripping over stuff.
KARFA, wanderingjock and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 4:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by golfmad
That’s right. I find it staggering that AA permit bags under the seat in front at an exit row. I had a flight in economy recently (shock horror) and chose an exit row so witnessed it first hand. The cabin crew saw it and ignored it. In the event of an emergency it would no doubt get messy with people tripping over stuff.
Similarly, a LH FA refilled my glass proactively with a glass of sparkling whilst we started our descent into LHR - when I asked if I should get a plastic cup for landing she said 'we are not doing that, that would be against my standards'.

So another thing where BA differs from other airlines.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 4:08 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I've been on several BA flights where the cabin crew didn't check very thoroughly and missed the bags, and also where the passengers assured the CC they would put the bags up before takeoff but the CC forgot to come back and "remind" them.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
It's been a while since my last CS flight, but I'm pretty sure they are mandatory.
That would be consistent with how other airlines treat them.
Mandatory on all my recent flights, crew checked them and assisted passengers, as needed.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 7:29 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Slightly off topic, but I wonder about the abilities of some passengers in exit rows. I have been on flights where fellow exit row occupiers have been (a) inebriated to the point of stupor, (b) so weak and confused as to need help standing, and most recently (c) significantly visually impaired (this only became clear when we had to disembark via steps on a remote stand). I realise that there is a tick box on the web site, but this has seemed each time against safe practice. I have never had the courage/inclination to mention it to the crew.
Fatdickie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.