Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day trip ideas - Companion Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Day trip ideas - Companion Voucher

Companion voucher to use before April. Any ideas best place to go for the day? Interesting flight, good lunch somewhere, home same day is the plan if anyone has a good idea?

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:41 am

What a great idea! I tend to let mine expire. I will look for something similar as mine expires in April. Shame BA doesn’t run the flights from Southampton in winter.
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by ba0028
Companion voucher to use before April. Any ideas best place to go for the day? Interesting flight, good lunch somewhere, home same day is the plan if anyone has a good idea?

Thanks
I guess somewhere with multiple flights per day, otherwise you'll just find yourself turned around again without a decent lunch. And somewhere where the airport is in easy reach of restaurants.

Where are you flying from? Barcelona comes to mind in terms of transport into the city (fast and regular public transport), plenty of good restaurants, and a decent choice of flights. The weather should be nice too. Or Amsterdam, which has shorter flights so you'll get more time at your destination?
RockyRobin, becks1, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttama
I guess somewhere with multiple flights per day, otherwise you'll just find yourself turned around again without a decent lunch. And somewhere where the airport is in easy reach of restaurants.

Where are you flying from? Barcelona comes to mind in terms of transport into the city (fast and regular public transport), plenty of good restaurants, and a decent choice of flights. The weather should be nice too. Or Amsterdam, which has shorter flights so you'll get more time at your destination?
Plan was to fly from LHR.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm going to look this thread up with interest. I have a voucher expiring on 23rd March, a day trip idea would be awesome...
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Interesting thought. I have 2 vouchers currently. I will keep an eye on this thread.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:20 am

Bordeaux might be worth looking at for a nice long lunch - the wine is pretty good too!
tcdtcd and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ba0028
Plan was to fly from LHR.
If you use Reward Flight Finder it should give you a list of destinations that have reward availability in the month you want to travel. If something looks interesting, check out the flight times to see if they suit you. Maybe see if the lounge is decent, if you want to maximise the value. A longer flight will give you more time to enjoy the in-flight food/drink, a shorter flight may give you more time at your destination.

You may want go somewhere you're familiar with, so as to make the most of your time at the destination. Or maybe you want to be more adventurous

I was asked by a friend recently whether I'd consider planning travel for other people, as there are places where I've lived or worked that I'm pretty familiar with, and I love planning trips there. I said no - everyone has a different idea of what a good trip looks like. What's your idea of a good trip?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:28 am

Bologna.
jmd, dnajockey, Skipcool3 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Edinburgh? Easy access to city centre, loads of good restaurants.

Weather might be an issue though.... it doesn't go much above freezing until July.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:36 am

Edinburgh is a good shout - short hop to the city centre and some good restaurants.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Nice is easy (and nice...)
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by ENTP
Nice is easy (and nice...)
Cross the road and you're on the beach
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I did an Edinburgh to City day return to use up one of my old style vouchers 4/5 years ago.

City was convenient for the short hop to the, well, City for a trip to lift up a gold bar in the Bank of England and drinks in the Shard amongst other sightseeing.

No need for splashing out for Club Europe on a 190 (although we did). Personally I’d look for the first flights from there and a late return.
RockyRobin and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
I was looking at doing this to Amsterdam but apparently the airport is still not quite right. Being stuck in queues take up valuable time although it is quite a quick train ride into the centre. Might try it to Rotterdam although that will be from city, otherwise I like the idea of Bordeaux and back from Gatwick. LIN is also a possibility.
ttama and AnaTravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.