Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When best to earn status + Tier Point Calculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When best to earn status + Tier Point Calculation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich
Lightbulb When best to earn status + Tier Point Calculation

Hi All, I have 2 questions and would be grateful for a response/tips on the following:

When best to earn/renew status?
I am currently a Silver member with a TP collection year end on 8 March 2023. I am 300+ TP short from reaching the sufficient TP to renew Silver before 8 March. I have a few trips lined up starting mid of this year and will definitely be able to hit 600 TP (and may even aim for Gold at 1,500TP) by end of 2023. I do not mind not having Silver status for a couple of months since I will be able re-gain Silver later this year in July, and might schedule trips to try and earn enough for Gold.

Q: Is it more beneficial to earn the required TP to renew Silver before 8 March 2023, or to wait and earn the necessary TP (and re-gain Silver/Gold) after 9 March 2023?
____

Calculation of Tier Points
Cathay Pacific offers tickets from Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Taipei (TPE) via a mandatory stop-over in Hong Kong (HKG). When calculating the estimated TP for flights, I know generally one would break it down to individual flights (e.g. KUL - HKG - TPE). However, I was able to get a TP calculation when I selected KUL to TPE direct for Cathay Pacific. The ticket issued by Cathay will include 4 flight sectors (KUL - HKG / HKG - TPE / TPE - HKG / HKG - KUL).

If it is KUL - HKG plus HKG - TPE on Business, the total TP is 80 one way (40 for KUL - HKG; and another 40 for HKG to TPE).
However, if it is KUL - TPE in Business, the total TP is 140 one way.

Q: If I book the Cathay flight from KUL to TPE (4 sectors altogether) in Business, will I earn 80 or 140 TP one way?

Thank you!
__PRESENT
Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the ideal world, you would go down to Bronze on 9 March, then earn 600 TPs on 2 April 2023 so you would be Silver until end April 2025.

That through KUL-TPE sector exists for codeshares only, as mentioned by the Calculator itself, you always do sector by sector, with HKG either featuring as your arrival or as your departure location. Broadly speaking if you leave an aircraft and end up using a second boarding pass then that's 2 sectors not one. Some exceptions exist, but that's the 99% position.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Your Silver benefits remain for a month after your TP year ends. Retaining Silver is useful if you value the ability to select your seat at time of booking - you may find that seat selections for upcoming trips disappear if you drop to bronze (I don't know for sure but something to bear in mind, others may be able to confirm either way).

The earlier in your TP year you can gain status, the longer you get to enjoy it for as it will last for the remainder of your current year and the next.

Regarding the TP awarded - do you change aircraft at each stop, or stay on board? It sounds like you change from your description. In that case, you would add it up as four separate trips.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich
Thanks Both for the prompt response - very helpful and now I know how to plan my flights for the year. Cheers!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
KUL - TPE direct on MH is 140 in J.

I have done it a few times. Once DPS-KUL -TPE on MH got completely messed up and I ended up on Royal Brunei via BWN. ORC of 180 got credited pretty quickly.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by charlie1092
Thanks Both for the prompt response - very helpful and now I know how to plan my flights for the year. Cheers!
Just do not forget required four BA marketed or operated/ IB marketed and operated flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.