Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA not selling a "route" (AA do, with BA Metal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

AA are selling seats: LHR-LAX-BNE, MEL-DFW/LAX-LHR. The LHR-LAX leg can be done on BA metal. (The US-AUS legs are done on Qantas)
I would prefer to book this via BA if possible, for disruption protection and possibility of doing double TP on a holiday booking.

However, BA only seem to route eastwards to BNE and MEL. Is this because of deals they have in place with Qatar and Qantas? or would BA sell me a ticket on this route if I called up?
I presume there are no BA flight numbers for LAX-BNE and MEL-DFW, so these would be excluded from the double TP offer anyway.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
AA are selling seats: LHR-LAX-BNE, MEL-DFW/LAX-LHR. The LHR-LAX leg can be done on BA metal. (The US-AUS legs are done on Qantas)
I would prefer to book this via BA if possible, for disruption protection and possibility of doing double TP on a holiday booking.

However, BA only seem to route eastwards to BNE and MEL. Is this because of deals they have in place with Qatar and Qantas? or would BA sell me a ticket on this route if I called up?
I presume there are no BA flight numbers for LAX-BNE and MEL-DFW, so these would be excluded from the double TP offer anyway.
instead of doing a return have you tried the multi-routing on BA? That should then allow you to look at the flights you need.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:37 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by perbinder
instead of doing a return have you tried the multi-routing on BA? That should then allow you to look at the flights you need.
Will this work on a BA Holidays booking? The OP is clearly being very FT in trying to get as many TPs as humanly (or inhumanely) possible.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Yes, used the multi-booking.

I also searched for LAX-BNE, MEL-DFW on BA.com- it does sell them, but back via LHR. eg- LAX-LHR-DOH-BNE!!

Interestingly, google flights finds my original routing, but ITA Matrix doesn't, unless I specify X:LAX in the advanced routing. Either way, BA don't show as a marketing airline, so I'm doubting it's possible.

The TPs are a very secondary consideration as travelling Economy, so not really much to chase, the price is the main attraction. Although the overall flight time is longer, there is still only 1 stop involved.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I would prefer to book this via BA if possible, for disruption protection.
If you are talking about UK261, you will only be afforded that on the outward journey from the UK (and it will apply no matter the airline) and on the return only on any legs flown by BA. If this really is what you are trying to do, the only way to have the entire journey covered by UK 261 would be to take the BA flights from Sydney, instead of trying to fly from BNE or MEL.
trolleymusic and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
If you are talking about UK261, you will only be afforded that on the outward journey from the UK (and it will apply no matter the airline) and on the return only on any legs flown by BA. If this really is what you are trying to do, the only way to have the entire journey covered by UK 261 would be to take the BA flights from Sydney, instead of trying to fly from BNE or MEL.
Thanks for that clarification. The tickets AA are selling are marketed as flexible, so it sounds like I'm best sticking with these.

Was also curious as why BA don't sell this route and wondered if the commercial agreement with QR affected it.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
BA does not publish through fares LHR-BNE which allow a routing via the western hemisphere. Fares are available but require routing via SIN, HKG or DOH.

BA can of course issue an AA fare, except LHR-BNE explicitly states it must be issued on AA or QF stock.

The only way I can think of having the BA plated is if you plan your whole journey either east or west any buy a BA issued round-the-world ticket. This, however, would be significantly more expensive that the AA/QF fares I am seeing which start at only GBP 308 plus taxes, fees and charges. An absolute bargain if you can stand 26 hours in an AA Eco seat.
RJD1983 and FamilyOf6 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I booked a similar fare for my brother and his gf who are now in BNE.
This is an AA fare that must be issued on AA stock, you cannot get it through BA.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
no it won’t - Ba multi city will return an error when one/some of the legs do not involve Ba flights.

ba fares to Australia typically won’t allow those routings anyway - only via the east and connections normally via sin, hkg (pre Covid at least), Kul (when Ba were flying there) and doh so even calling won’t be much help here.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
OP, considering the 2 transfers in the US, ESTA cost, hauling your luggage through US airports, and 2x 13hours+ legs in economy, is it really that much cheaper compared to CX or LH+SQ?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deckter
OP, considering the 2 transfers in the US, ESTA cost, hauling your luggage through US airports, and 2x 13hours+ legs in economy, is it really that much cheaper compared to CX or LH+SQ?
1 Transfer in the US each way... would assume luggage through-checked by AA as on one ticket, but if not, that's a valid consideration. By the way, I've flown this way before (also with stops in AKL and HNL!) on standby- it stressed my mum, but more because of the uncertainty than anything else.

CX / LH + SQ look competitive for dates next NH Autumn - so I'll keep it under review once my dates come on sale.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
1 Transfer in the US each way... would assume luggage through-checked by AA as on one ticket, but if not, that's a valid consideration.
Doesn't the US have a ban on through checking from an international arrival unless precleared?
camdentown and Deckter like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
Doesn't the US have a ban on through checking from an international arrival unless precleared?
It’s not a ban per se, but you do have to collect your bags at your first port of entry, take them through customs, and then drop them off at the bag drop which is usually right outside customs. They will likely be tagged onward, but you do physically have to move them a bit.
trooper and camdentown like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: UA
Some US airports, like IAH, do not require you to collect your bags if you are doing an I -> I connection.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by angetenar
Some US airports, like IAH, do not require you to collect your bags if you are doing an I -> I connection.
Of AA hubs that includes DFW and MIA (you still have to clear immigration and reclear security), but LAX, which the OP specifically mentions is not included, so would require clearing immigration, collecting bags, and then going back through security.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.