Search

BA Singapore Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR
BA Singapore Check-in

Hey there,

My elderly parents are shortly travelling PER-SIN on QF arriving into SIN at approx 17:00. They're travelling onwards to LHR the same evening on BA in F at 23:00ish, but on a seperate ticket.
As they will need to collect and re-check their baggage at SIN, normally at BA outstations check-in opens up at -3hrs prior to departure and so they'll need to hang around landside.

I've heard that the BA check-in desks are open for the BA15 SIN-SYD from 16:00-19:00 and that some individuals have had success dropping their bags for the LHR flight during this window.

Can anybody confirm if they've done this recently? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I see BA aren't part of the early-checkin lounge programme at SIN.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Yes, you can check in for the later flight when the desks open for the earlier flight. I did this in May with no issue.
pennineuk likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Did the same more recently in August.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:40 am

The issue will be whether they are traveling with checked baggage and, if so, whether both flights on the same ticket and contained within the same PNR, or if the QF flight an award flight.

1. If they have no checked baggage, then no issue. Checkin online and download your boarding passes. QF might do it manually but are not obliged; otherwise they can get from the transfer desk airside.

2. If they have checked baggage and the flights are as above, then no issue as QF will through check.

3. If they have checked baggage and the tickets are separate, then it is likely they will need to collect their bags and recheck land side as QF do not through check for OW on separate tickets (they only do this for QF and/or EK). See: http://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect/...d-baggage.html They were really strict about that when I recently travelled on a domestic leg and connected with BA in Syd. Having said that, they might make an exception as BA has done in the past - depends on the agent I guess.

As a heads-up, the QF First lounge is better than BA (even better than BA’s First/GGL only bar area) and I would use that (it is also usually closer to the gate so more lounge time).
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:42 am

Sorry after I typed that I just re-read and saw you wanted to do it while the landside desks were open for the flight down to Syd. Shouldn’t be an issue but suspect it depends if they have opened the SIN-LHR flight on the systems.
Genius1 likes this.

Last edited by NateOz; Dec 29, 2022 at 7:48 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The QF F lounge is better for food - really good quality actually - but a poor lounge to relax in. So normally we eat there then head over to the BA lounge and the F bunker area.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR
Thanks eveyone for your replies and info - it's really much appreciated! HNY!
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by GSTBA
Thanks eveyone for your replies and info - it's really much appreciated! HNY!
I was at the SIN airport (checked out the Jewel) and as I'm going to fly on BA12 I asked at checkin what is the earliest I can drop my bag and the lady at First checkin said 17:10. When I was there at around 18:00 all counters were open, etc.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by GSTBA
Hey there,

My elderly parents are shortly travelling PER-SIN on QF arriving into SIN at approx 17:00. They're travelling onwards to LHR the same evening on BA in F at 23:00ish, but on a seperate ticket.
As they will need to collect and re-check their baggage at SIN, normally at BA outstations check-in opens up at -3hrs prior to departure and so they'll need to hang around landside.

I've heard that the BA check-in desks are open for the BA15 SIN-SYD from 16:00-19:00 and that some individuals have had success dropping their bags for the LHR flight during this window.

Can anybody confirm if they've done this recently? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I see BA aren't part of the early-checkin lounge programme at SIN.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure if BA is one of the airlines that does this at SIN, but on separate tickets you can still go to the airside transfer desks to get your onward BPs and the airline staff will find and re-tag your bags for you (hence there's no need to go through immigration/customs and re-check): Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi. Since on arrival at SIN everyone is decanted into the departures area it wouldn't hurt to stop at the transfer counter and see if this can be done, and if not then clear immigration/customs as usual
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Did the same more recently in August.
Did the same in November. Shouldn't be an issue.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I recently had an SQ to BA on separate tickets. But was hand luggage. I got the distinct impression from the person in the transfer centre for BA that they would actually track the bags and re tag. As she kept on asking for bag tags, and then checked the SQ reservation to make sure there were no bags. So may be worth stopping by transfer B to check. For some funky reason of the four of us, my BP was not available for OCI.

on lounges, QF has good food, but it is mainly a school cafeteria as they have enough tables set up for the A380s and all the QF connections. The dishes also are preprepared and come out rapidly. I was quite disappointed at the sit down and relax aspect as they are very few couches.

my lounge vote goes to Qatar, which you can enter on a J or F ticket, not status. They will not call flights though. Great food, relaxing lounge, good showers, WiFi, attentive service.

KF
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I recently had an SQ to BA on separate tickets. But was hand luggage. I got the distinct impression from the person in the transfer centre for BA that they would actually track the bags and re tag. As she kept on asking for bag tags, and then checked the SQ reservation to make sure there were no bags. So may be worth stopping by transfer B to check.
Agreed, this is absolutely the way to do it, SIN is one of the best places in the world for making connections easy. Although usually SQ will through-check on request onto BA at point of origin so it’s not necessary.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
I was going to suggest the transfer desk to the OP as a much easier and stress free way for their parents to change flights / retag bags. In 2019 I flew into SIN on QR and was flying out on KLM on 2 separate tickets with a lay-over time of 50 mins (I had a flexible KLM ticket, but still knew it was a risk). QR wouldn’t tag the bags onto KLM (naturally), but the SIngapore transfer desk retagged them in the system and they made the flight (which ended up being a 40 min layover due to a late arrival on QR!)

Pilot37
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
my lounge vote goes to Qatar, which you can enter on a J or F ticket, not status. They will not call flights though. Great food, relaxing lounge, good showers, WiFi, attentive service. KF
I agree - was there at the end of November - really excellent! Quite a contrast with the dreadful ARN lounge we were in a few hours later, while waiting for our BA flight back to LHR!
Old May 23, 2023, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird676
Did the same in November. Shouldn't be an issue.
May I ask how early you checked the bags for the BA12 flight?

As the flight is so late at night we originally planned for a long stay in the airport and relaxing in the different OW lounges and explore the airport with our daughter. But was told by BA agent that bag drop only opens two hours prior to departure? Appreciate your input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.