Wiki Posts
Search

BA App becoming more useless!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
BA App becoming more useless!

It has long been noted that since BA’s app IT resources were shipping to a 3rd party, the functionality and general stability of the app has gotten worse, but today I have noted a significant issue with the latest release. When you go into the details of a flight, it no longer states the expected departure and arrival time of the flight. That is now only shown on the home screen, so if you are on a connecting flight I am not sure it will allow you to see how that flight is doing schedule wise vs the current flight you are on, as that needs to clear down from your Home Screen to enable the next flight display its details!

Sample screen shot show below of the ‘upgrade’ 🙄

Is it an issue with my iPhone or are other passengers seeing this as well?

P.S. - I didn’t blank out my seat number, another joy of the app is the ability for it to just blank out useful information!

Pilot37
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I suggest you use an app such as Flighty (other options are available).
trolleymusic and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by golfmad
I suggest you use an app such as Flighty (other options are available).
Sums up our resignation with all things BA these days that the first suggestion is to use a 3rd party app vs assuming the app of the airline you are flying would provide the most detail of your itinerary!

Pilot37
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
Sums up our resignation with all things BA these days that the first suggestion is to use a 3rd party app vs assuming the app of the airline you are flying would provide the most detail of your itinerary!

Pilot37
That's true and I can't argue with that for simple connecting flights on the same airline.

However, Flighty (and other apps) do a lot more. They work well across airlines and also across flights that are on separate tickets. I don't think we could expect BA or any other airline to offer those features.

Last edited by golfmad; Dec 23, 2022 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 23, 2022, 11:52 am

I like the fact that when I use the iOS BA app to check-in, it puts a message across the top suggesting I use the iOS BA app to check-in.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As I understand it, the app remains in-house, it's one of the few bits of IT that the IAG overlords permit to be done locally. I've no doubt that it uses plenty of outsourced hooks of various sorts, and it certainly doesn't excuse making it so unhelpful during boarding. Hopefully a one-off glitch.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
The BA app.....

Do I know how to get a mobile BP on the app?
Yes.
Can I explain to anyone how I managed to get a mobile BP on the app?
No.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Well, after completing gutting the iPad app it was surely only a matter of time before they got around to the iPhone version…
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by golfmad
That's true and I can't argue with that for simple connecting flights on the same airline.

However, Flighty (and other apps) do a lot more. They work well across airlines and also across flights that are on separate tickets. I don't think we could expect BA or any other airline to offer those features.
Are you aware of a similar app which works on android?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lioneye
Nope, I am not. Just had a quick look and I can't find anything similar.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
BA’s app is rubbish; dare I say United airlines is industry leading - can see incoming flights, rebook immediately natively within the app, change seats POST check-in, miles post the moment you pull up to the gate etc etc.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Lioneye
I don't know Flighty, but a quick look suggests it's similar to App in the Air which I use and whose praises I can't sing enough. It's sometimes like having a personal assistant on call updating me on my flight status, gates, etc. - often before they're updated on airport screens.

Note: I'm in no way financially associated with App in the Air or friends with anyone who is.
Lioneye, golfmad and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:47 am

The BA app is so disappointing; the only thing I tend to use it for is the mobile boarding pass (although I'll try to get a cardstock one when I can, perhaps I'm old fashioned!).

I was perhaps spoiled as I lived in the US for many years until recently and was a UA loyalist; as someone else noted on this thread their app really packs a punch.

I discovered Flighty recently, really love the functionality alongside the data you can see about all your past flights.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I don't know Flighty, but a quick look suggests it's similar to App in the Air which I use and whose praises I can't sing enough. It's sometimes like having a personal assistant on call updating me on my flight status, gates, etc. - often before they're updated on airport screens.

Note: I'm in no way financially associated with App in the Air or friends with anyone who is.
I would be interested in trying that. Is it free or does it come with some sort of subscription?
The Lufthansa one is no better and I deleted it literally years ago with no intention of ever reinstating it. The SWISS one seems a bit better, but I will delete it once the current trip is completed. These apps take up too much space on the phone. The only one I do use regularly which seems to work ok is the Air France one.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Concerto
I would be interested in trying that. Is it free or does it come with some sort of subscription?
I recently tried both of them. Both let you track your first flight for free, after which you have to subscribe.

I would rate flighty as having better notifications, but app in the air has a “lifetime” subscription that will work out cheaper if you are looking at total cost over more than one year.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.