Search

Denied Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Denied Boarding

Hi All.

wondering if I can make a claim for denied boarding. It’s a bit of a weird situation however.

I had a flight ex Spain cancelled during the snow in the UK last week. I called up BA and was re routed on Iberia the same day.

Fast forward, I get to check in, all good. Get boarding pass, check bags in. As I am getting my boarding pass checked at the gate I am pulled to the side and told I am not able to travel as ‘BA have not paid’. Never experienced that before.

I assume i can make a claim for this? I mean, I was literally denied boarding and I have the physical boarding pass. For what it’s worth I was eventually re routed back to London on BA the following day.

Thanks for any info!
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think technically you can’t- you haven’t presented a valid ticket since it hasn’t been paid, and also denied boarding is against the operating carrier (although of course who knows who is at fault here- certainly IAG) but I’d suggest this would make you in scope for EC261/04 despite the original cause being due to the weather as due to the issue you weren’t rerouted appropriately. I suspect someone with more experience in this area will hopefully give more advice to confirm.

Good luck.
Atlantic 101 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Atlantic 101
I assume i can make a claim for this? I mean, I was literally denied boarding and I have the physical boarding pass. For what it’s worth I was eventually re routed back to London on BA the following day.
Tricky this one, since technically it's Iberia who denied you boarding and this liable for compensation. The fact they were not being paid, despite being the same company, isn't part of the regulation, so your boarding pass is evidence that you were ticketed. However Iberia have a habit of making it as difficult as possible to extract EC261 out of them.

So I'd suggest you just do a simple delay compensation claim to BA, noting that the Iberia reservation was ticketed but not invoiced due to mistakes by the Contact Centre. You also get the Right to Care costs. Keep your IB boarding pass safe or take a photo.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
While I appreciate they are different companies, they are companies wholly within the same group. This would have been easy for them to sort out later. Really disappointing that someone chose to take a "computer says no" attitude instead of taking ownership of the situation to find a positive resolution for the customer.

Go after them for every penny you can get - they deserve it.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 7:37 am

Maybe the ticket wasn't reissued correctly? Though typically that should prevent you from checking-in. BA should be able to tell.
Atlantic 101 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Can I ask one question? Do you have your boarding pass, still? Does it have a ticket number on it?

Something like this almost happened to us a few years ago. BA flight back to London cancelled, and rerouted via Madrid with Iberia and Iberia Express. I couldn't do seat selection or check-in online but called IB the day before and was actually offered seat selection over the phone and assurances that everything was fine with the booking. At the airport, the agent printed boarding passes for all of us and we were about to leave the counter when she actually called us back to say... that this booking wasn't actually ticketed!

Thankfully we were at the airport early enough to go to the customer services desk (this was in Nice) who took control of the situation, told us that BA hadn't actually paid for the booking (same situation as you) and even though it took about 45 minutes and numerous phonecalls to their colleagues (and possibly BA), they got us new boarding passes and sent us on our way just in time for boarding. A stressful day, but up until that day I wouldn't have thought that a boarding pass can be issued without a ticket number.

Turns out.. it can.
bzado and Radiation Station like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
You can’t check in without valid eticket. The fact you checked in and had BP in your hands shows ticket existed and was ‘OPEN’ status.

Anything beyond that is completely outside your control - Iberia couldn’t possibly expect you to know about what settlement method or invoicing happened between BA and IB
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Agree, it's a still a BA problem and thus a BA delay (albeit a very long one). Totally on them to fix, unfortunately.
Silver Fox and Atlantic 101 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If there was no valid ticket (because BA failed to reissue) this is not denied boarding which would be against IB (there is nothing to blame IB; one can't expect IB to accept a pax without valid ticket). You need to take this up with BA but again it is not denied boarding as BA is not the operator of the flight.
Atlantic 101 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If there was no valid ticket (because BA failed to reissue) this is not denied boarding which would be against IB (there is nothing to blame IB; one can't expect IB to accept a pax without valid ticket). You need to take this up with BA but again it is not denied boarding as BA is not the operator of the flight.
OP had a boarding pass, so it had to be ticketed. I believe you can't get a BP without one?
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
OP had a boarding pass, so it had to be ticketed. I believe you can't get a BP without one?
IIRC Iberia let you print out your boarding pass well in advance of T-24 hours. Naturally you could cancel your ticket before boarding and the airline systems would need to be aware of this.

Of course it makes little sense that the OP had a valid e-ticket at the time of BP issuance, but that somebody cancelled that ticket before the flight.
Atlantic 101 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Ticketing is not necessary to issue a boarding pass. Before etickets, the ticket coupon was a separate document that was collected separately from the boarding pass. Paper ticket coupons are rare these days (typically only used for FIMs), but the systems are still set up to support that edge case.
Atlantic 101 and stifle like this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
What a lot of FTers forget is that airlines moved away from paper tickets years ago and in the process, saved quite some £££. Moving to a dematerialised ticketing process has lots of benefits but would always result in a small number of cases just like this one - the OP reasonably believed that they were on their merry way, having a BP in hand and all.

I would treat this as a separate EU261 claim. IB could go claim that compensation money from BA, for all I care.

It is unreasonable to expect the average passenger to know about ticket numbers, whether the tickets would have been issued or not and IB was wrong in providing a boarding pass to the passenger if they were not going to fly them. This ended up severely limiting their options; had OP been alerted for the ticketing issue at the time they attempted to check in, maybe something could have been done. By informing the passenger as they were at that gate, IB removed that option.

I would be prepared to MCOL all of this, etc. - which is something that if the OP is not prepared to do, then there's no point in complaining as IB won't pay out without being forced to do so.

Last edited by mario; Dec 23, 2022 at 1:44 am
Old Dec 23, 2022, 2:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You can’t check in without valid eticket. The fact you checked in and had BP in your hands shows ticket existed and was ‘OPEN’ status.
Sometimes the systems play catch-up. So sometimes even when an airline pushes out a boarding pass against a ticketed booking where a ticket may or may not be out of sync with the booking’s confirmed flights, it’s possible that the boarding pass later is found out of sync with a booking or even gets invalidated for purposes of boarding (or even proceeding to and through airport security in some places). Had such a thing happen to me at ARN just last month that just made my day longer than it should have been. Will be putting in for EC 261/2004 — but that’s because even after the tickets were reissued properly and landed in sync with the confirmed flights, the delay was long enough that the delay compensation claim gets triggered (and seems like an easier fight to win than a denied boarding claim).
Atlantic 101 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 2022 at 3:02 am
Old Dec 23, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Could you remind me what the other ticket statuses are? I think I had my ticket unmatched by BA ticketing and then had a status that was something like 'MISMATCH,' which caused me to miss my flight.
Atlantic 101 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.