Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Another one bites the dust

Luggage tags just don’t cut it, do they?

The end of another tag. I do keep my Goldie Ones in a safe though, only silver and bronze exposed to real conditions.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Greenpen

The end of another tag. I do keep my Goldie Ones in a safe though, only silver and bronze exposed to real conditions.
Recently requested 2 new Gold tags as they 'vanished' during the 6 days it took for my bag to make it back from LAX a month ago.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
My brand new GGL tag came back LITERALLY folded in half along the long edge, my TSA compliant lock missing and the contents of my bag strewn randomly around the interior (including taking apart a key ring capsule containing an emergency £20 note) on delayed baggage LHR PHL yesterday. Gosh, strewn is a good word.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Given that BA don't issue silver or bronze ones anymore, I'd have thought they'd be more valuable nowadays!
Greenpen and bafan like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I had Diamond club tag that had survived on one of my bags until recently. I took it off as it was becoming too valuable to lose...
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
My brand new GGL tag came back LITERALLY folded in half along the long edge, my TSA compliant lock missing and the contents of my bag strewn randomly around the interior (including taking apart a key ring capsule containing an emergency £20 note) on delayed baggage LHR PHL yesterday. Gosh, strewn is a good word.
Thats worrying - I mean luggage delays in/out/via LHR (or any other UK airport) are par for the course at present but to have ones case ransacked so thoroughly is horrible. Was it an ‘expensive’ looking case that perhaps singled it out?
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
I’ve given up with locks, TSA or not. I now use cable ties instead.
SxMan, T8191, mnhusker and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Recently requested 2 new Gold tags as they 'vanished' during the 6 days it took for my bag to make it back from LAX a month ago.
Seriously, does putting a Gold tag on the bag make any difference at all? I never bothered. I find these days that baggage handlers mostly ignore the 'priority tags'. Bags just come out randomly now.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Seriously, does putting a Gold tag on the bag make any difference at all? I never bothered. I find these days that baggage handlers mostly ignore the 'priority tags'. Bags just come out randomly now.
I just use them as luggage tags, to identify my case. Absolutely no expectation they make any difference - because I know they don’t.
Silver Fox, firstlight and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:50 am

Any truth to the suggestion that not only do shiny tags not work to speed up baggage handling, they risk actually slowing it down on the basis the more external protuberances you have the more likely it is to catch in the baggage system?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I put them on my hand luggage but never on checked. As mentioned, BA don't prioritise priority tags and might just make the bag a target for thieves?
On hand luggage they're for 1) DYKWIA reasons and 2) if there gets to a situation where crew are threatening to check bags as the overhead bins are full - hopefully would be used as a tie-breaker.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by SteveF
I’ve given up with locks, TSA or not. I now use cable ties instead.
Cables ties are great, because while they are not tamper proof, they are tamper evident.
A malicious third party looking to liberate a few valuables from a piece of luggage might think twice and rather go for a different piece of luggage.
Aliexpress has *numbered* plastic security ties/seals that are a few cents per piece.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Thats worrying - I mean luggage delays in/out/via LHR (or any other UK airport) are par for the course at present but to have ones case ransacked so thoroughly is horrible. Was it an ‘expensive’ looking case that perhaps singled it out?
just a standard TSA inspection they added a card inside the luggage for. TBH it was the most slapdash inspection I’ve ever had. Slightly aggrieved about them nicking the lock though.
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Cables ties are great, because while they are not tamper proof, they are tamper evident.
A malicious third party looking to liberate a few valuables from a piece of luggage might think twice and rather go for a different piece of luggage.
I go even simpler and often use keyrings. You can't open them immediately which makes my bag less inviting for a quick grab. Same idea as with bike locks. No bike lock is tamper proof, but they all pose a time delay to a malicious third party.

Also the key rings are reusable unlike cable ties.
LCSinTexas, AJA_, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by Jyrsa
Also the key rings are reusable unlike cable ties.
This is where the unique numbers on the cable ties come in. If there's a unique number on them it would be hard for a person to replace it with the same tie, even when there might be additional cable ties with other numbers in the luggage.
Given the time I could open your luggage, grab something and use the key ring to 'lock' it up and from the outside you had no idea that I went through your luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.