Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA put me on a non-OW flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Will BA put me on a non-OW flight?

Due to bad weather and a strike in BRU, BA rebooked me with a 36 delay returning home. But Delta have a direct flight to BRU tonight. Is it worth asking BA to get me on that?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by mjack99
Due to bad weather and a strike in BRU, BA rebooked me with a 36 delay returning home. But Delta have a direct flight to BRU tonight. Is it worth asking BA to get me on that?
You can ask, but they will try and fob you off with something along the lines of we don't have an account with that carrier yada yada. { They run from a policy sheet that doesn't always conform to various passenger rights legislations. }

At which point you need to read them the EU261 riot act, and they should refer to a supervisor.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
If the delta flight has availability, yes.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by The Geek
You can ask, but they will try and fob you off with something along the lines of we don't have an account with that carrier yada yada. { They run from a policy sheet that doesn't always conform to various passenger rights legislations. }

At which point you need to read them the EU261 riot act, and they should refer to a supervisor.
If the cancellation happens within 24hrs of travel you shouldn't have this issue as long as it's an airline that BA can rebook you to (so no Easyjet, Ryanair etc) . Delta should be fine. If calling the call centre and they push back then escalate to supervisor or HUACA
orbitmic and Anonba like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by The Geek
At no point would BA say they don’t have an agreement with DL, because they do. As long as you meet the conditions for the IATA disruption standard (principally on-the-day only), you can be rebooked on them. Check-in may have to call ARC if they don’t have anyone trained to do it (as is likely).

It’s LCCs where they can (legitimately) use the ‘no agreement’ excuse - principally because the LCCs have chosen to opt out of the international standards for airlines working together.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great advice. So I rang the GGL line, told the customer service person that I wanted to get on a DL flight and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put through fairly promptly, and the supervisor said "didn't the customer service person offer you a DL flight?" which I said they didn't and he said, "they should have and I will book you on the JFK>BRU direct flight immediately". Which he did. So, a very painless experience once I knew it was possible.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:57 am

So I rang the GGL line, told the customer service person that I wanted to get on a DL flight and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was put through fairly promptly, and the supervisor said "didn't the customer service person offer you a DL flight?" which I said they didn't and he said, "they should have and I will book you on the JFK>BRU direct flight immediately". Which he did. So, a very painless experience once I knew it was possible.
Did you even give a chance to the customer service person to offer the DL flight?
etiene likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:23 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I hope the customer service person didn't end up in a meeting without biscuits as a result.
etiene and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
There are some more regular airlines like SK that BA will not deal with - always claim which could be correct that SK will not take their rebooking, which led me to a rebooking on BA connecting with Ethiapian on a fifth freedom OSL/ARN.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
There are some more regular airlines like SK that BA will not deal with - always claim which could be correct that SK will not take their rebooking, which led me to a rebooking on BA connecting with Ethiapian on a fifth freedom OSL/ARN.
Yes its only airlines that BA have ticketing agreements with even when in 24 hours so there are some airlines that you cant be rebooked to.
Koru Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Did you even give a chance to the customer service person to offer the DL flight?
In a previous call I spent an hour with them looking at all airports on the Eastern Seaboard over 2 days on BA and AA. Not once did they offer anything non-OW. Hence my question to the wise folks here.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:56 am

In a previous call I spent an hour with them looking at all airports on the Eastern Seaboard over 2 days on BA and AA. Not once did they offer anything non-OW. Hence my question to the wise folks here.
The option to rebook non oneworld carriers is only available if your flight is cancelled within 24 hours of departure.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Was rebooked on SQ at T-24, that said emails to GGL/priority line (in flight) did nothing proactive, but airport had me rebooked on QF (missed that option) and SQ. Annoyingly staff meeting at the gate could offer nothing but t say to go to transfer....
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
depends in the disruption, I think it has to be short notice (less than 48 hours). However, when I flew to Athens earlier this year my partner (BA blue) was moved onto an aegean flight midday flight, i was moved to the 0730 departure with BA. They consolidated the cancelled 0630 into the 0730, put a 777 on for the 0730. I can only assume he didnt make the cut because of passenger numbers / demographics

separate bookings because this was a city break when we were dating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.