Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Point Year - maths quiz

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Tier Point Year - maths quiz

To some of you offline this question may look familiar, but with conflicting views I thought I’d take to the forum:

My tier point year ended 8 Nov 2022.
Card ends 31 Dec 2022.
I didn’t do enough to retain Gold in 2022 so I assume from 9 Nov 2022 to 8 Nov 2023 I soft-landed to Silver (but card still runs Gold until end of 31 Dec 2022).

To benefit from the lower threshold of 1125 for gold, you may remember (!) I did a number of runs to SOF & got some points from a recent work trip…. I just hit 1140 points.

Would this mean I go up to Gold for the reminder of my Silver year + 1 additional year, so I’m Gold until 8 Nov 2024 (card end 31 Dec 2024), or do I just get it for 1 year as it matters about the card & not the tier collection year, so only 12 months with the Gold year ending 8 Nov 2023 (card end 31 Dec 2023)?

TIA

🧮➕🟰🤔
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TPRun
To benefit from the lower threshold of 1125 for gold, you may remember (!) I did a number of runs to SOF & got some points from a recent work trip…. I just hit 1140 points.
There's a whole thread and wiki devoted to this very subject! The key question here is have you earned 1140 TPs from 9 November 2022 to 31 December 2022? Or are you adding in TPs from travel before 9 Novmber.

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's a whole thread and wiki devoted to this very subject! The key question here is have you earned 1140 TPs from 9 November 2022 to 31 December 2022? Or are you adding in TPs from travel before 9 Novmber.

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
I still think BA might be ex-gratia extending a few people here who are getting a lot of TP's between their end of year and card expiry. These folk are trying to get reduced to silver so they qualify as new golds rather than retaining gold. The fact they haven't got a letter saying they have dropped to silver may mean when they get gold they are just retaining it and not getting the 2 years someone going from silver to gold will. We will see come the new year I guess.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Thank you for the link! I earned 1140 only between 9 Nov - 9 Dec 2022.

Originally Posted by firstlight
I still think BA might be ex-gratia extending a few people here who are getting a lot of TP's between their end of year and card expiry. These folk are trying to get reduced to silver so they qualify as new golds rather than retaining gold. The fact they haven't got a letter saying they have dropped to silver may mean when they get gold they are just retaining it and not getting the 2 years someone going from silver to gold will. We will see come the new year I guess.
This is certainly one of the views I have recently heard too. Others say I would qualify for the 2 years. Back to Sofia in 12 months otherwise 😂
Old Dec 10, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Since someone should always ask: if you have to do the whole thing back and forth to Sofia, what use are you actually making of Gold…?
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
Since someone should always ask: if you have to do the whole thing back and forth to Sofia, what use are you actually making of Gold…?
I can usually only travel economy for work… but fear not, i can drink most of the expenditure back in GF 🥃😄
Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Surely, the rules are that your TP collection starts from the 9th Nov, so getting to 1140tp after that & before 31 Dec will give you Gold for your current year and the next year. No different from any other year. Not sure why it would work any different just because they've reduced the tp requirements until December.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IJG2
Surely, the rules are that your TP collection starts from the 9th Nov, so getting to 1140tp after that & before 31 Dec will give you Gold for your current year and the next year. No different from any other year. Not sure why it would work any different just because they've reduced the tp requirements until December.
that’s what I was hoping. I just got an email saying it’s been renewed rather than working through the tiers :

As a heads up, we wanted to let you know your Executive Club Gold membership has been renewed for another year. We’re happy to have you onboard.

Would it be somethingto ask BA or just accept it?

ps Mods please can you move this into the thread CWS shared? Many thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As you collected the 1140TPs within the first four weeks of your new membership year there is the possibility that you’ll have Gold only for the current year, ie until 8 Dec 2023. This used to come up from time to time pre-covid exposing an oddity in the way tier promotions are hard coded in the BAEC system
Old Dec 11, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The reduced tier point level of 1125 for Gold is valid until 31st December. So regardless of whether BA ex-gratia extended OP or not, he has retained Gold for another year. So, his membership year 2022-2023 has requalified for Gold whether he had temporarily dropped to silver or not. In my opinion, OP now has Gold until 2024.
Cymro likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by firstlight
These folk are trying to get reduced to silver so they qualify as new golds rather than retaining gold. The fact they haven't got a letter saying they have dropped to silver may mean when they get gold they are just retaining it and not getting the 2 years someone going from silver to gold will. We will see come the new year I guess.
Huh?

I can say from first hand experience that collecting 1500 TPs in the weeks between 9th XXX and 31st YYY gets you Gold for the rest of that year and all of the next. (obviously the thresholds are lowered during 2022)

BA doesn't go back and pretend that you extended status before 8th XXX and then take away TPs earned after 9th XXX.

(XXX being TP collection month and YYY being card expiry month)

The only potential issue is if BA has programmed the TP threshold reductions wrong...
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Huh?

I can say from first hand experience that collecting 1500 TPs in the weeks between 9th XXX and 31st YYY gets you Gold for the rest of that year and all of the next. (obviously the thresholds are lowered during 2022)

BA doesn't go back and pretend that you extended status before 8th XXX and then take away TPs earned after 9th XXX.

(XXX being TP collection month and YYY being card expiry month)

The only potential issue is if BA has programmed the TP threshold reductions wrong...
This is the view I'm hearing more often too...but who do I even discuss it with at BA? There is no email either, right?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
I think the prudent thing would be to look at booking in SOF TP runs for next years renewal.
TedToToe and danmushman like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
I think the prudent thing would be to look at booking in SOF TP runs for next years renewal.
I'll try a different city this time... 6 B2Bs + 1 long weekend. Any recommendations?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TPRun
I'll try a different city this time... 6 B2Bs + 1 long weekend. Any recommendations?
SOF, I do not know any other 80TP route with such a fool proof B2B process. Considering you do not leave the airport, who cares where you are going. For the long weekend, I like Athens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.