Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

F to Washington IAD (A380) or C to Miami MIA (A380) for Miami Cruise ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2022, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M

Booked a surprise cruise for the better half next year (14 July) out of Miami, never cruised before and I've always refused as I don't have any "cruise miles" and love to walk but thought happy wife equals happy life.

Never been in any of these cities before.

For the connecting flights though I'm confused as to what is the best option.
I need some advice here please to see if my reasoning is correct.

My logic always tells me when paying the BA "taxes" (£1,800) to always fly F where possible but there are no F flights available to MIA.
C flights to MIA are around £1800 too, Avios similar, around 140k with a 2-4-1.

For the IAD flight I'd leave a day earlier, burn some points for a hotel at IAD and spend around £800 for connecting return flights down to MIA the next day.

One good thing about the IAD flight against the MIA flight is that it leaves in the evening so I could fly down in the morning and have a day in the CCR.
Quite like having some breakfast, relax, shop, lunch then some refreshments.

I could even do the IAD flight on the way out in F and the MIA flight on the way back in C but would have to call for this one.

From what I recall last time I was on the A380 in F these were a bit dated compared to other aircraft though.
Is it really worth the hassle and another £800 for this though is what is hurting my head.

Other logic tells me not to burn 140k Avios and £1,800 for a C return award when I can bob over to DUB and get a paid flight for around £3,000 for both of us.

What does the collective wisdom here think, burn Avios for F, C or buy a C ticket from DUB (or other place)?
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd do it in F - the A380 cabin is one I like and I don't remember it being worse than other BA aircraft.

I don't know if there are club suites to Miami, these are good and as seats very comfortable, but service levels aren't so good as F and if leaning into a cruise you might as well lord it up. I'd consider F one way to Dulles and then J back from Miami or something like that, generally I want less faff at the tail end of a trip.

I'm a big fan of Washington DC and I might insert an extra day there.
Markie, pmcg, bafan and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
There will be a range of views, the A380 (Prime) F is probably still the best in the fleet in my humble opinion.
I very much like the new 777-300 F with doors, but I don't think any of the other F products are quite as spacious as the A380.
All relative of course, F in any BA plane is a decent hard product.

I'd be tempted to avoid the A380 in CW just because of the older seats and I don't sleep brilliantly but then if you get the upper deck with a window it is very reasonable.
pmcg, bisonrav and subsonic001 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:28 am

Club World in the 380 is the old style seats not club suites, with that in mind F will probably be a much better option.
pmcg likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
normally for a cruise I would avoid unnecessary connections, but your plan sounds like an excellent one - I agree that F thru IAD is the way to go.

I would add that if you can get to Miami the day before the cruise, that will give you an additional level of "padding" as you don't want to miss the ship (or have to worry about it!)
ijgordon, pmcg, ATLCDG and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I have no doubt F is a better experience in every aspect. But is it really worth the connection hassle, risk of missing the connection, post custom bag recheck, delight of domestic F? I’d go on the non-stop, irrespective of aircraft or seat type.
pmcg, orbitmic, BA6501 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
As you like "slow" travel - why not consider taking the train from Washington down to Miami - it takes a day and more interesting than flying. You can get a cabin for not so much and it will get you in the mood!
pmcg likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by LCY8737
I have no doubt F is a better experience in every aspect. But is it really worth the connection hassle, risk of missing the connection, post custom bag recheck, delight of domestic F? I’d go on the non-stop, irrespective of aircraft or seat type.
Agreed. Connections significantly increase the risk of bags going astray which is a pain at the best of times but a potential logistical nightmare for a cruise. I’d be minded to keep it simple and slum it for 9 hours.
pmcg, orbitmic, JessicaB and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Once the bags are over the pond, the chances of them going astray on the domestics is minimal, and there's a ton of ways of getting to Miami from IAD (or DCA probably) including rail. So I think the risk element is overegged here.
pmcg and bafan like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Just be aware of the horrific reliability of the A380 fleet since they've been reactivated, regardless of which way you fly, I'd personally pad the schedule with a day at the start to allow for delays as a worst case scenario.

CB
pmcg likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:06 am

I’d personally pay the £1350 each and do DUB-LHR-MIA CW return.
HNL1K, pmcg, James91 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
As you like "slow" travel - why not consider taking the train from Washington down to Miami - it takes a day and more interesting than flying. You can get a cabin for not so much and it will get you in the mood!
That's not a very nice train IMO. I do endorse the idea of spending a day or two in DC though (and flying down to MIA/FLL from DCA).
pmcg likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Nonstop all the way. Summer is not a good period in Florida. It’s wet and humid, can be stormy, and you are officially going at the start of the hurricane season (normally hurricanes tend to be most likely in august or secondarily September, but then there just was one when I was there in November so July could happen too who knows).

your F trip is not only an added flight but also means that your Washington-Miami will be a separate ticket on a U.S. airline. Remember that on us airlines, if there is any disruption due to weather, you basically have no right and will be reaccommodated when they can (even if it’s days later) and pay for your own accommodation in Washington in the meantime.

Personally, I’d do everything I can to minimise the risk of missing the cruise ie fly nonstop and at least 1 day before.
pmcg, JoeDTW, jlemon and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Nonstop all the way. Summer is not a good period in Florida. It’s wet and humid, can be stormy, and you are officially going at the start of the hurricane season (normally hurricanes tend to be most likely in august or secondarily September, but then there just was one when I was there in November so July could happen too who knows).

your F trip is not only an added flight but also means that your Washington-Miami will be a separate ticket on a U.S. airline. Remember that on us airlines, if there is any disruption due to weather, you basically have no right and will be reaccommodated when they can (even if it’s days later) and pay for your own accommodation in Washington in the meantime.

Personally, I’d do everything I can to minimise the risk of missing the cruise ie fly nonstop and at least 1 day before.

The holiday agenda is pretty much taken up by the cruise. Lessening the tensions and the faff in getting to and from the boat would be a smart aim. Adding a mini-break in DC seems a bit daft, as does adding an unnecessary change of gauge at IAD if you forgo the holiday but pursue F-class travel. It's your money to spend, but splashing out considerably more to follow a sub-optimal itinerary doesn't strike me as a sensible use of cash.
pmcg and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Thanks everyone, some very good advice.

I'd be flying into MIA a couple of days before the cruise and if connecting via IAD at least another day, should give me enough time.
Not too worried about bags as we always double pack 2 bags and I have ample insurance for bag delays.

I'm quite used to connecting in the US as we usually end up flying to the likes of ATL, IAH etc. wherever we can find flights across the pond then connect onto our final destination.

I'm leaning towards F out to IAD and C back in from MIA or perhaps the DUB option and just paying for C.
crazy8534 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.