Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Schedule change - mechanism for refund/change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

I have the following booked for July next year in business:
26th July HEL-LHR-ORD-MKE (Milwaukee)
30th July MKE-ORD-LHR-HEL//HEL-LHR.

This was booked as I was going to be in HEL anyway.

The ORD-MKE and MKE-ORD legs have both been rescheduled, and downgraded to economy, leaving me with about 6hrs in ORD in both directions. The following is at the bottom of MMB:

Don’t worry, we can refund your cabin choice. By accepting your new itinerary you’ll be able to request a refund for any applicable fare difference covering the cabin change.

Review and accept itineraryIf you’d like to cancel your booking you will need to accept this new itinerary or find a different flight. You can then review your cancellation options in Manage My Booking where normal fare and refund rules will apply.
I now won't be in HEL (though I can position there), so it suits me to cancel and then re-book from LHR to get the double TPs offer with a car. However, the last sentence is a little confusing to me. Will the cancellation options in terms of how much I'd get back depend on the original ticket rules even with this reschedule? What's the process for 'finding a different flight' if I don't 'accept this new itinerary'? There are no alternatives presented to me in MMB.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Are you over 4 hours late OR are your flight numbers now different to the flight numbers on the e-ticket? If yes to either then call up for a full refund.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks CWS,

Flight numbers are the same. I misread and I get to MKE at the same time but now in economy.

On the return, I have to leave MKE 5hrs earlier than the itinerary I booked. (1144 v 1644)
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
On the return, I have to leave MKE 5hrs earlier than the itinerary I booked. (1144 v 1644)
That will do. You have grounds to ask for a full refund, but it's best you call rather than touch the online booking. It should be quibble free.
Zzzap and Heathrow Tower like this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 5:25 am
Original Poster

And in case anyone finds this after searching....

I called the Silver line, got through after about ten mins on hold. No quibbles, cash refund being processed (orginial booking was paid for mostly by an eVoucher).
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Just quick update on this and another question....

I have finally (after 3x calls and 4x Twitter DM conversations!) had a refund. The original purchase was £127 card payment plus 2x eVouchers.

The refund I have received is the £127 payment only.

Should I wait for another week or so on the assumption it is coming, or chase the remainder sum ASAP on the assumption nothing will happen unless I do so?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:23 am

Should I wait for another week or so on the assumption it is coming, or chase the remainder sum ASAP on the assumption nothing will happen unless I do so?
For the e-vouchers? They may be re-instated already - have you tried to use them on a dummy booking. Otherwise it's possible they have been converted to offline vouchers, which can be used by calling up with your new booking.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Are you over 4 hours late OR are your flight numbers now different to the flight numbers on the e-ticket? If yes to either then call up for a full refund.
can you claim a full refund in case of cabin downgrade? besides what EU261 says? do you know the T and C from BA?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Nephoi
can you claim a full refund in case of cabin downgrade? besides what EU261 says? do you know the T and C from BA?
Often that is offered, it depends a bit how BA handles it, and they have moved policies in this space several times in recent years. One approach is that BA offers to cancel your booking, and in many cases agents are only too keen to offer a refund since it's easy to do. Strictly speaking EC261 does actually allow for downgrades, rather than banning them, there is a reimbursement formula instead. But I would feel that the Consumer Rights Act would also give a remedy here - you paid for cabin X, cabin X is no longer possible, therefore an obvious remedy is a refund. Agents generally are fairly receptive to changing bookings to maintain the cabin (route and date changes), with downgrades on redemptons on non BA aircraft often being a difficult issue.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Often that is offered, it depends a bit how BA handles it, and they have moved policies in this space several times in recent years. One approach is that BA offers to cancel your booking, and in many cases agents are only too keen to offer a refund since it's easy to do. Strictly speaking EC261 does actually allow for downgrades, rather than banning them, there is a reimbursement formula instead. But I would feel that the Consumer Rights Act would also give a remedy here - you paid for cabin X, cabin X is no longer possible, therefore an obvious remedy is a refund. Agents generally are fairly receptive to changing bookings to maintain the cabin (route and date changes), with downgrades on redemptons on non BA aircraft often being a difficult issue.
with the 300 mi rule BA has it can be difficult, although I know, sometimes they stretch it.

so maybe a route change is the option here...
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:51 am
Original Poster

For the e-vouchers? They may be re-instated already - have you tried to use them on a dummy booking. Otherwise it's possible they have been converted to offline vouchers, which can be used by calling up with your new booking.
Thanks CWS, the contact centre when I first called up said I’d get the whole sum back as a refund, not as vouchers. Was this incorrect?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:02 am

Thanks CWS, the contact centre when I first called up said I’d get the whole sum back as a refund, not as vouchers. Was this incorrect?
I think we've seen every permutation. But yes, eVouchers + cancel usually = full cash refund.

You better call up, there is an escalation process back to refunds.
Heathrow Tower likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.