Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TP points where one or more legs do not have WT+ availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia

If I purchase a 4 leg WT+ fare that notes the following message, do I receive WT+ TP on the flight that do not have WT+ available? I assume my ticket price reflects that 2/4 legs have WT+ seating and 2/4 do not but what TP do I receive on the 2/4 legs that do not?

his flight does not have Premium Economy. We've shown you the closest alternative
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What’s the fare class of those two legs? You’ll receive the corresponding TPs, likely Y.

Providing the routing will get you more helpful answers
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What’s the fare class of those two legs? You’ll receive the corresponding TPs, likely Y.

Providing the routing will get you more helpful answers

T TLV LHR and K LHR BUD classes
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
That will net 200TP total, 90 for each TLV leg and 10 for each BUD leg.

BA have a handy calculator here, though you have to enter each segment individually.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...r/public/en_gb

Note that for the economy legs, the amount of TP earned does depend on the booking code, hence the earlier question.
Cymro and orbitmic like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
If there isn’t a premium economy cabin then you will not earn premium economy tier points; you will earn economy tier points seated in economy.
alancostello likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
If there isn’t a premium economy cabin then you will not earn premium economy tier points; you will earn economy tier points seated in economy.
Yes but there's generally a range of 2-3 different amounts of TPs you can get for economy depending on the bucket. I asked this same question recently as I was looking at indirect WTP routings to CUN where the leg from DFW, MIA or wherever would be in economy.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Yes but there's generally a range of 2-3 different amounts of TPs you can get for economy depending on the bucket. I asked this same question recently as I was looking at indirect WTP routings to CUN where the leg from DFW, MIA or wherever would be in economy.
If you clicked on "Flight Details" as shown in the screenshot above you should get a pop up and it will say exactly what selling class each flight books in to. For short haul connections to WTP it will usually be K I think.
jerry a. laska and Cymro like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Well sure (just like there are different earning levels based on fare class for WTP, CE, CW, and F), but you still won’t receive premium economy tier points if a particular segment does not have premium economy, which I thought was the question.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Logically, if 2 of the segments show as not WT+ being available, it is equally as possible that I am paying the WT+ fare for those 2 segments or my fare has been discounted by some amount as the segments are not available.

However, the non WT+ are shown as K meaning 10 TP each log so 200 in total. I answered my own question.

Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
No that’s not how it works. There is a fare that covers the connection and the WTP sector in one, it isn’t (fare of short haul sector) + (fare for long haul sector).

The WTP fare is priced on the basis that the connection is in ET. You are not paying for WTP on a flight which doesn’t have it.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I wouldn't like to have to explain myself to TLV security if I were flying to Hungary via London 😬
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stifle
I wouldn't like to have to explain myself to TLV security if I were flying to Hungary via London 😬
Easy answer...explain
1. TP run (security does not actually care at Ben Gurion)
2. Refuse to fly El AL (security may be offended but likely not) due to airline policies I do not agree with and general uncertainty re schedules etc
3. Choose not to fly low cost carriers ie Wizz ..well just because I do not like low cost carriers
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
No that’s not how it works. There is a fare that covers the connection and the WTP sector in one, it isn’t (fare of short haul sector) + (fare for long haul sector).

The WTP fare is priced on the basis that the connection is in ET. You are not paying for WTP on a flight which doesn’t have it.
True in this case. But it is also the case that on many routes you can buy WTP (or J/F) fares with connections where one of the sectors may or may not have availability in WTP (or J/F as the case may be), so you may be booked in a lower cabin for that sector even though you're paying the same fare as if you had the desired cabin on all sectors. This will either be because the aircraft simply doesn't have the relevant cabin, or it's full in the relevant booking class. AA is of course worse for this than BA.

The key thing as always is to make sure to check what exactly you're booking. And for TP purposes, that means checking the fare class for each sector as described above.
etiene likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KARFA
That indeed is the scenario here, so looking at the fares the construction is close to what you would expect to a fully Traveller fare, with the higher cost more or less matching the WTP uplift for TLV to LON. There is genuinely an issue occasionally in this space where, for example you are flying to somewhere in the USA where the last leg does not have a First / Business cabin on some, but may be not all, flights. If you buy a CW ticket to somewhere in the Mid West, the ticket cost may be identical regardless of whether the last sector from Chicago to Nowherespolis is in First or Main Cabin. But that's a different scenario to a route where there never has been a WTP product.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by testycal
Logically, if 2 of the segments show as not WT+ being available, it is equally as possible that I am paying the WT+ fare for those 2 segments or my fare has been discounted by some amount as the segments are not available.
You did a search for flights in WT+. The computer is telling you that unfortunately, WT+ does not exist on all the flights on the itinerary proposed. It's a bit as though you were looking for flights in F between London and Manchester, there is no F cabin on such flights so any booking engine will suggest to you that you book the closest alternative which is C. If you choose to book it, you won't get the F TPs just because you were looking for F in your search, nor will BA create a special, different and higher price for people who inadvertently looked for F and will book C.

There isn't and has never been any premium economy on short haul BA flights. It does not exist. There is therefore no fare that could possibly be created for BUD-LHR-TLV return with all segments in WT+ and consequently nothing to discount when the flights that were always going to be in economy are indeed in economy. Incidentally, you are booked in K on those flights precisely because that fares specifies that when the long haul is in T, then short haul segments will be booked in K (E would have short haul in B, and W would have short haul in Y).

You are getting what you are paying for and to use your word, logically, you are getting the TPs for what you are flying.
jerry a. laska, AJA_ and Cymro like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.