Wiki Posts
Search

what is a good upgrade offer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
what is a good upgrade offer?

flying LHR-AMS and its offering me Biz for 90L. WIll I get a cheaper offer at checkin?

also, can I change my Amex Plat credit airline to BA and get the credit on the upgrade fee?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
£90? What’s the L?

In the past it could have been £59/£69 so I’d say this isn’t a good price for a 45 minute flight
efincomputer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
£90? What’s the L?
I assume OP speaks a latin-based language - pound is livre in French and similar in the others.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
£90? What’s the L?
The pound sign (£) is an elaborate crossed L
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I assume OP speaks a latin-based language - pound is livre in French and similar in the others.
Only UK keyboards have a GBP sign also.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:53 am

I'd say that's just not worth it - it depends what you value but for my view:

- not worth it for the seating: Club Europe is the same seat, with a "blocked middle": won't make any difference on that short flight
- not worth it for the catering: on that short Band 1 flight, it will be coffee/pastry or something similar: will be a light snack rather than a meal, and you might squeeze 1/2 drinks in depending how quick the crew are
- not worth it for the lounge: BA used to have a decent lounge at AMS but I don't believe they do now so it's just a contract lounge - not sure what it's like but doubt it is worth £90, especially if you're not planning to spend too long at the airport: AMS also is not a terrible airport to be without lounge access at (in my view)
- MAYBE worth it for fast track security if you don't get that otherwise by reason of airline status (and can't purchase that separately for cheaper?)
- not worth it for business class check-in, if you even have bags to check in: these desks are not always that much faster than the regular ones since they serve business class plus all BA and OneWorld status passengers down to Bronze (which is a pretty low/easy tier to reach, so a lot of people)

I just don't think £90 is worth it. I doubt you would get a cheaper offer at check-in, but frankly for a flight like that unless there is a very specific reason you need lounge access or fast track security and won't get those benefits otherwise, I would not pay more than £20-30 for the upgrade...

Each to their own, but if you have to ask whether it's "worth it" the honest answer is "no". Save the £90 and do something nice in London instead!

Last edited by ratypus; Nov 15, 2022 at 2:59 am
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Sadly the days of £59 upgrades to AMD and CDG are long gone
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:59 am

I'm sorry, I just realised you are flying FROM LHR

Still:

- at LHR, Club check-in is OK, but the queues for regular check-in are not so bad generally - not sure will make a big difference
- not much point in "fast track" at LHR (other than the First Wing, which you won't have access to) - the few times I have to use regular security (with a larger group) it never seems to take too long and when it's slow, so is "fast track"
- Club lounges at LHR are "OK" but in Terminal 5A are normally VERY busy so don't expect to want to spend too much time there
- if you are prepared to trek over to Terminal 5B the Club lounge there is much quieter and more pleasant, but a flight to AMS will almost certainly leave from Terminal 5A so you would then have to come back to Terminal 5A which can be a faff if you don't know where you are going, and in any event that whole process takes time and isn't worth it unless you plan to be at the airport several hours early
- service onboard, see my comments above: not worth it
- priority boarding for Club: again, not really worth it unless you have a large hand luggage and are worried about space: again, even if the "worst" happens and it gets checked to the hold at the gate, it that really so bad and is it worth £90 to you...I would say no! If you're being really clever, bring a hang luggage you are fine to check in, and on a busy flight they will check it for you at the gate for free and offer priority boarding as a "reward" (on busy flights)

I still don't think it's worth £90. Do something nice in Amsterdam instead!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold
Originally Posted by ratypus
I'm sorry, I just realised you are flying FROM LHR

Still:

- at LHR, Club check-in is OK, but the queues for regular check-in are not so bad generally - not sure will make a big difference
- not much point in "fast track" at LHR (other than the First Wing, which you won't have access to) - the few times I have to use regular security (with a larger group) it never seems to take too long and when it's slow, so is "fast track"
- Club lounges at LHR are "OK" but in Terminal 5A are normally VERY busy so don't expect to want to spend too much time there
- if you are prepared to trek over to Terminal 5B the Club lounge there is much quieter and more pleasant, but a flight to AMS will almost certainly leave from Terminal 5A so you would then have to come back to Terminal 5A which can be a faff if you don't know where you are going, and in any event that whole process takes time and isn't worth it unless you plan to be at the airport several hours early
- service onboard, see my comments above: not worth it
- priority boarding for Club: again, not really worth it unless you have a large hand luggage and are worried about space: again, even if the "worst" happens and it gets checked to the hold at the gate, it that really so bad and is it worth £90 to you...I would say no! If you're being really clever, bring a hang luggage you are fine to check in, and on a busy flight they will check it for you at the gate for free and offer priority boarding as a "reward" (on busy flights)

I still don't think it's worth £90. Do something nice in Amsterdam instead!
Also looks like the OP has Exec Plat which negates all of the above benefits entirely.

I'm in agreement that it won't be worth the cost unless chasing status.

CB
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:28 am

Oh I missed that - yeah with Ex Plat (OneWorld Emerald) there is absolutely no way I would pay anything at all for Club Europe unless I desperately needed the miles/points to retain status - you basically get the full experience at LHR (better than Club, as you can use the First Wing and Galleries First lounge), and then you will be Group 1 boarding anyway

So £90 for an empty middle seat and a watery coffee is not a good deal, no!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I would pay and often have paid for CE on longer routes, especially returning to UK when unsure I'd have another opportunity to eat either side, especially given the 'catering' at some outstation lounges. But the flight to AMS is so short that unless in need of the TPs I'd slum it at the back.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by drwook
...... that unless in need of the TPs I'd slum it at the back.
It's hardly slumming it....
Sitting in the same seat as the ones in CE
and the further back you go, the more likely you'll have an empty seat or seats next to you

You have to ask yourself, how much would I pay for a band one CE meal and a g&t?

Use the £95 and buy a meal deal in M&S and grab a G&T for £5-£6 on board
Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Sadly the days of £59 upgrades to AMD and CDG are long gone
£90 to AMD would be a steal. Might have the plane to yourself too.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
flying LHR-AMS and its offering me Biz for 90L. WIll I get a cheaper offer at checkin?

also, can I change my Amex Plat credit airline to BA and get the credit on the upgrade fee?
I think it is very unlikely you will get a cheaper offer at check-in. £90 seems to be the standard for short routes atm. I have been offered £90 frequently for LHR - DUB and vv in the past few months.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Only UK keyboards have a GBP sign also.
As someone who continues to use US layout years after living here... I just write GBP90.

Considering my upgrade LHR-OTP was GBP90 and nets 90TP.
For LON-AMS I would not pay that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.