Search

Unnoticed Silver benefit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Unnoticed Silver benefit

Not noticed this before:

Peace of mind with Reservation Assurance

We know there are times when it's absolutely vital you make a flight. Reservation Assurance will provide you with an economy seat on your chosen British Airways flight, even if the flight is full, for some extra reassurance at those important times. To benefit you just need to:
  • book a full fare economy ticket more than 24 hours before the flight (Y class only)
  • check in at least one hour before departure
Unfortunately, we may sometimes be unable to offer this service, due to circumstances outside of our control. We are not able to extend this service to your travelling companions, nor can we ensure you are allocated a particular seat.

Always thought a guaranteed seat was for the people at the top of the hierarchy!
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Maybe I'm missing something but I really don't understand this. Is it just saying that if you pay for a full Y class fare they won't bump you if the flight is oversold? Or is the benefit that you are able to buy a ticket on a flight that no longer has seats for sale?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
For BA it makes economic sense - sell a full fare ticket to someone and chuck a low-fare economy pax off (okay with a bit of compensation - but BA probably would still make $$ on it).
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unfortunately the unfortunately paragraph is the unfortunate give away. It's nearly worthless as far as pledges go.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Previous discussions:

Guaranteed seat even on full flight - Gold Hidden perk?
BA "Reservation Assurance" Guarantee
Used 'reservation assurance' for the first time
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:35 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I have used it in the past to get on a full flight.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
For BA it makes economic sense - sell a full fare ticket to someone and chuck a low-fare economy pax off (okay with a bit of compensation - but BA probably would still make $$ on it).
Exactly this, many airlines offer this service to their top-tier elites and dumping a low-fare Economy pax or a volunteer is usually cheaper than the full fare "Y" ticket thus BA is still earning a significant amount of money.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately the unfortunately paragraph is the unfortunate give away. It's nearly worthless as far as pledges go.
How unfortunate!

Perhaps the word could join ‘enhanced’ and ‘our customers tell us…..’ in the BA lexicon?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 7:51 am

American has the same thing for their Exec Platinum. Perhaps there is a limit on how many how many 'reservation assurance' seats are available per flight?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:36 pm

Managed to successfully use this for a LHR-EDI next month - all the morning flights sold out in both cabins. Easily done via GGL line.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Managed to successfully use this for a LHR-EDI next month - all the morning flights sold out in both cabins. Easily done via GGL line.
You can usually successfully do anything if you’re GGL, can’t you ? But the thread was originally about the ‘benefit’ of this for Silvers…
Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I’m sure for those in the moment who need it, it’s a great policy and works for them.

However I dislike these kind of policies. So far as I’m concerned if you have purchased a seat on a flight (at any given rate), you ought to have that secured.
nancypants and BA or bust like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
I’m sure for those in the moment who need it, it’s a great policy and works for them.

However I dislike these kind of policies. So far as I’m concerned if you have purchased a seat on a flight (at any given rate), you ought to have that secured.
Agree, but I wonder how often they’re actually offloading someone vs reallocating a seat from a last minute cancellation/no show or willing volunteer.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by visit14
Agree, but I wonder how often they’re actually offloading someone vs reallocating a seat from a last minute cancellation/no show or willing volunteer.
A good point. I have no issue with, say, introducing a basic fare condition that you need to check in online within 24 hours of your flight to fully confirm your seat or something to that effect. Anyone who doesn't runs the risk of being offloaded. Of course, any definite no-shows would be first to be "filled" however I suppose the issue with that is you won't know until pretty close to the flight leaving that someone won't be flying.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by bafan
You can usually successfully do anything if you’re GGL, can’t you ? But the thread was originally about the ‘benefit’ of this for Silvers…
Well, given BA had denied a space release on LHR-GLA on the same day, I'm not sure about "anything"... But thought it was useful to provide a counterpoint to some of the "worthless" commentary up thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.