Search

BA EU261 claim

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
BA EU261 claim

I was on BA 183 in F this week LHR-JFK.

we were supposed to depart at 6:50p but due to mechanical issues, we left at 9:54p.

1) does this qualify for 600 USD?

2) is there a link to apply directly with British Airways?

3) is it worth it for a third party such as Airhelp or Flight Right to handle everything?
Old Nov 5, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
I was on BA 183 in F this week LHR-JFK.

we were supposed to depart at 6:50p but due to mechanical issues, we left at 9:54p.

1) does this qualify for 600 USD?

2) is there a link to apply directly with British Airways?

3) is it worth it for a third party such as Airhelp or Flight Right to handle everything?
This is the United forum, not the BA forum. Your arrival time, not your departure time, is what matters. I’ve always found filing directly with the airline is better, since you don’t then have to pay the third company.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Arrival time - not departure time - is key for claiming delay compensation.

looking at FR24, BA 183 was late three times this week:

2 Nov: landed 23:50 (1h 5m late)
3 Nov: landed 01:38 (2h 53m late)
5 Nov: landed 00:13 (1h 27m late)

This thread has full details (The 2020 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004) including whether the reason for delay is covered by compensation. Ordinarily you wouldn’t be entitled to delay compensation below three hours - which applies for all dates above - unless you were rerouted or your original flight was cancelled?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004 is the up to date page
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The key number is the point at which the doors open. If 3rd November, it is just possible you qualify but not at the full amount, a three hour delay long haul qualifies for 50% of the compensation of $600 or whatever it is.

Your job now is to write down anything you can remember about the reason for the delay, and try to recall whether you had a 7 minute taxi to get over the three hours. Then fill in a claim at BA and see what happens, you can say the doors opened just over three hours late, at so and so a time, explaining the nature of the technical fault and requesting UK261 compensation. BA will eventually reply saying yes or no. It's a marginal one, they may claim ATC restrictions delayed by 5 minutes or whatever, but worth a go.

If it was any of the other days, no chance.
GM1985 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.