Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 CW cabin woes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Oh I would be livid. I take a medication to help me fall asleep. If I am woken up--particularly in the first 45 minutes, it can take 3-4 hours to get back to sleep. If I was told I had to wait to recline until the people in front of me got done eating, I'd say they had better eat quickly, but hold off taking my pill until they were reclined. And I'd tell the FA NOT to wake me up until breakfast the next morning. The broken seat passengers will get a bunch of Avios for the trouble. The person being behind them is likely to get zip.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Interesting to see Emirates have started a refurbishment project on 67 of their A380s that includes removing all of the business and first class seats for refurbishment/repainting: https://simpleflying.com/emirates-1s...economy-refit/
The first airframe will take 16 days but they mention having two dedicated teams so a plane every 8 days and they plan to have the whole lot complete by March 2024. I wonder if BA will have started their first A380 upgrade by this date.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold GL, JJC
A380 LHR- MIA Wifi and IFE packed up after an hour and could not be restarted - MIA-LHR 15K would not even recline manually! This was a couple of weeks ago, so Covid prison tray-style service. Food each way was pretty much inedible, and even the crew told me they were embarrassed to serve it. Club kitchen is now a shadow of its former self. Made a complaint, and two weeks later have not had a response.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:43 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
I recently flew BA294 in 53A and the seat wouldn't return to the upright position about an hour out of LHR. They attempted to manually reset to no avail. Luckily 53D was open so it was a easy move for me. Hopefully 53A has been repaired!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
Just to add an extra data point, 53A on G-XLEE is currently broken with no recline. Apparently there are 5 broken seats in Club on this aircraft today. I was told that I was “lucky” to get two seats together (middle of the middle downstairs). I asked what would happen if there were no other seats and was told I would have to either take the broken seat or cancel “for a full refund”. What a way to run an airline.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: Executive Club
We were booked on G-XLEG on 22 Dec seated in 10E and 10F, a pair in the middle downstairs. I noticed at OLCI that we had been moved and managed to move us again to two nice window seats. I thought it had something to do with someone else needing the bassinet but when we boarded I heard the CC explaining that 10F was broken and couldn't recline so was out of service.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:37 am

Just to add to this as a source, flew on GXLEA yesterday and was moved out of 53A/C as both were broken (recline and IFE). I believe there were a couple more seats out of action on the upper deck.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BASon
Just to add to this as a source, flew on GXLEA yesterday and was moved out of 53A/C as both were broken (recline and IFE). I believe there were a couple more seats out of action on the upper deck.
Still broken today - I am on BA269 operated by XLEA and got moved out of 53A at checkin as the seat is inop. Initially moved to 50B which I refused and they found me a window a little further back thankfully.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: MUCCI
There is of course a totally different reason that the A380’s aren’t getting much attention…..
if we think these are last for a refurb then by then the 777-9 will be coming online and I wonder if there is no intention of putting CS into these planes and they will just phase them out as many other airlines (such as AF and LH) have done…..
They are quite limited in terms of network and the 300Y seats is a constant problem. I just don’t think they work for any airline apart from EK and even they have started to retire some….
FD…
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is there any way of knowing which actual A380 is scheduled to be operating your route? I’m on LHR/JNB BA 57 04/1. Thank you.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
A bit out of date, but I flew on G-XLEF on BA295 (LHR-ORD) on 16 December. Several seats in Club World main deck were blocked out because of non-reclining seats, non-functioning IFE, etc., including 14K and 15K. I was in 15K but then moved after check-in to the aisle seat.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I dont know which reg i was on, but in November LHR - DFW, 53A wouldnt return upright after reclineI got moved to another chair that was broken but upright for landing on the main deck.

Just had an A380 cancelled for Feb on the way back from SFO, now having to go via JFK and lose a day
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
There is of course a totally different reason that the A380’s aren’t getting much attention…..
if we think these are last for a refurb then by then the 777-9 will be coming online and I wonder if there is no intention of putting CS into these planes and they will just phase them out as many other airlines (such as AF and LH) have done…..
They are quite limited in terms of network and the 300Y seats is a constant problem. I just don’t think they work for any airline apart from EK and even they have started to retire some….
FD…
CS is earmarked for the 380's in 2024.
Yes they're in a terrible state however BA has some significant demand on certain routes which allow them to operate them profitably. Begs the question with as many as 15-20 Club seats out of action on any given aircraft how much thats eating into the profit margin. I suppose the offset cost with having an aircraft out of action to do a temp fix outweighs all of this and someone with a calculator and a excel spreadsheet will have run the numbers... you'd like to think!
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:54 am

Everyone who needs to be aware of the state of the 380s knows about it, and those planes will remain in the fleet for a long while to come, with a refurbishment to take place soon. However there isn't much that can be done in the short term with those birds, for a number of reasons:
  1. Electrical/mechanical equipment that hasn't been in constant use fails, and will continue to fail. That's the sad side effect of parking planes anywhere for a long time.
  2. Spares are hard to come by, especially if they are electrical in nature. The post-Covid supply chain issues are still here, and won't go away for a long long while
  3. Engineering has manpower issues. This is an industry-wide problem, with average age of aircraft engineers and mechanic being in the high 40s and a lot of them having taken VR or early retirement during Covid
The bottom line is not that things aren't getting fixed because there's no budget to fix them; things aren't being fixed because there's no spares or people to fix them.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
G-XLEL

52 J&K + 53 J&K all working fine as of mid-Dec 2022 on G-XLEL (time for a wiki on in-op seas per Reg?)
crazy8534 and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.