Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GLA-LHR BA1489 delay resulted in missed connection to VCE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:55 am
Original Poster

So on what should be the flight that takes me to gold I only go and miss the connection from GLA
For background we did takeoff an hour late which was put down to weather delays. However we landed at LHR prior to 17:40 which should have meant we were on stand by 17.50 which would mean I could make the 18.35 to VCE.

However initially there was a plane in our spot (502 I believe) then there were guidance issues which meant someone had to come and Marshall the plane

The captain made announcements to this effect.

Our on stand time was 18.04, I was in 1A and raced off the plane only to get computer says no at connections.

I then had to wait 15 minutes to speak to someone, by this time the flight was boarding from B39.

As a result I think due to it being half term I am waitlisted for BLQ tonight, VCE tomorrow and confirmed to VCE on Saturday.

A couple of questions:

1 Would this qualify for EU261, whilst there were residual delays the missed connect was caused by no available gate and then no guidance system.

2 If I do not get to Bologna tonight where do I go to get a hotel
3 I take it BA will cover my hotel in Bologna, travel to VCE tomorrow and food.

Flight to Bologna is BA544 which is already showing a 45 minute delay.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Expertflyer showing delay of ZY which I believe entitles you to EU261.

DOBA1489/20OCT
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * BA1489 0 TH 20OCT22
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)

GLA ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1621
LEFT THE GATE 1630
TOOK OFF 1641
DELAY ZY
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1748 LHR
LHR AIRCRAFT LANDED 1740
ARRIVED 1804
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* BA1489 0 TH 20OCT22 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
GLA 1530 TH JCDRI/M YB/G 32N 1:25
HKMLVNOQSG/G
LHR 1655 TH 1:25
COMMENTS-
1.GLA LHR - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD
2.GLA LHR - DEPARTS TERMINAL M
3.GLA LHR - ARRIVES TERMINAL 5
4.GLA LHR - 9/ NON-SMOKING
5.GLA LHR - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
6.GLA LHR - DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY SECURITY ON DEPARTURE
7.GLA LHR - CO2/PAX* 76.96 KG ECO, 76.96 KG PRE
(*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR
CONFIGURATION-
32N C 24 M 144
>
Cw novice likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
I really feel for you been there before , the minutes tick by as they try and connect the bridge then they refuse to let you through the transfer barrier : but you have at least a seat to Bologna and that is only 1 hour 30 from your destination , even of you can t get them for compensation they have a duty of care and should pick up the taxi fare , and hopefully you will bet all your tier points,
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 47Aitken
I really feel for you been there before , the minutes tick by as they try and connect the bridge then they refuse to let you through the transfer barrier : but you have at least a seat to Bologna and that is only 1 hour 30 from your destination , even of you can t get them for compensation they have a duty of care and should pick up the taxi fare , and hopefully you will bet all your tier points,
Bologna was only a standby so Venice tomorrow at the earliest and a night in the Radisson. Customer Service agent with furrowed brow and furtively typing trying to sort right now.

Good will put in the claim for it if that's the code
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
I think corporate-wage-slave said in another thread that in the case of ZY the Y does not stand for “Yes to EC261 compensation”.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
We had a similar issue back in July going to Copenhagen for the Tour De France.
EDI-LHR was delayed, ended up missing the last flight to CPH.
BA gave us a voucher for a hotel which we didn't use as we booked the Premier Inn.
And booked us on the first SAS flight to CPH the next day.
Got EU/UK261 compensation and duty of care covered the costs for the hotel and Uber in the morning.
Took a while to get the money, but in the end was very easy and straight forward.
Best of luck and I hope you get to VCE without too much delay and hassle.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephenjc
We had a similar issue back in July going to Copenhagen for the Tour De France.
EDI-LHR was delayed, ended up missing the last flight to CPH.
BA gave us a voucher for a hotel which we didn't use as we booked the Premier Inn.
And booked us on the first SAS flight to CPH the next day.
Got EU/UK261 compensation and duty of care covered the costs for the hotel and Uber in the morning.
Took a while to get the money, but in the end was very easy and straight forward.
Best of luck and I hope you get to VCE without too much delay and hassle.
To be honest the Customer Service agent was fantastic as was the gate agent for the Bologna flight too. To be honest staying in London tonight with BA covering the hotel is a lot better than Y to Bologna and having to sort my own hotel and claim it back.

All sorts of issues with flights to Italy with an ATC strike plus half term.

I appreciate there's a lot of times where staff aren't proactive but everyone I have dealt with today in T5 has been super helpful.

This will certainly be fed back.
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
I think corporate-wage-slave said in another thread that in the case of ZY the Y does not stand for “Yes to EC261 compensation”.
Correct but equally a rotational delay - probably caused by the sort of ground handling problems on the earlier departure from LHR, plus weather, plus more handling - at some point the connection was missed due to BA's actions. I'd hope that the OP kept meticulous timings and notes of the flight deck introduction. What the OP needs to prove is that had the delay on arrival, plus the handling delay on LHR-GLA previously, was down to BA. I suspect BA will actually pay that. Personally I'd keep it simple now, go to BLQ tomorrow presumably not on standby, take the train and bung the hotel, meals (including tomorrow), taxi, wifi and train fare to BA. Then do a separate and specific claim 24 hours later for EC261 just in case the weather factor holds up all payment. Arriving into Venice by train is much easier than by air so there is an upside.

There are quite a few problems with standby / oversold services at the moment, my service to BCN today had about 15 people on standby having been bumped from earlier services. What happened was that one service was cancelled weeks ago, people were rebooked, and the oversale algorithm isn't fully taking into account the combination of Half Term with cancelled passengers more likely to travel. The usual no-shows would have taken a refund.
Cw novice likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct but equally a rotational delay - probably caused by the sort of ground handling problems on the earlier departure from LHR, plus weather, plus more handling - at some point the connection was missed due to BA's actions. I'd hope that the OP kept meticulous timings and notes of the flight deck introduction. What the OP needs to prove is that had the delay on arrival, plus the handling delay on LHR-GLA previously, was down to BA. I suspect BA will actually pay that. Personally I'd keep it simple now, go to BLQ tomorrow presumably not on standby, take the train and bung the hotel, meals (including tomorrow), taxi, wifi and train fare to BA. Then do a separate and specific claim 24 hours later for EC261 just in case the weather factor holds up all payment. Arriving into Venice by train is much easier than by air so there is an upside.

There are quite a few problems with standby / oversold services at the moment, my service to BCN today had about 15 people on standby having been bumped from earlier services. What happened was that one service was cancelled weeks ago, people were rebooked, and the oversale algorithm isn't fully taking into account the combination of Half Term with cancelled passengers more likely to travel. The usual no-shows would have taken a refund.
I had noted the announcements from the flight deck in my claim which I had done and the expectation we would be in stand for 17.50. Which we met, I also noted the stand number too.

As it was I'm in standby for VCE at 5.05 tomorrow and a night in the Moxy tonight. I do have a confirmed ticket for Saturday if all else fails

A combination of half term and Italian ATC delays is causing hassle.

I will keep in mind trying BLQ again today if VCE is a non starter.

​​​​
Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I will keep in mind trying BLQ again today if VCE is a non starter.​​​​
There is space on the late BLQ tomorrow. Going via BLQ to Venice, particularly if you are headed for the centre of Venice, is a very viable approach since BLQ is one of Italy's biggest rail junctions and the airport is close by. The station at Venice is very well placed, unlike the airport. So the agent that suggested that option knew their onions.
Cw novice likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Currently waiting to see if I'm on the 17.05 departure today. Which if I don't get have a confirmed ticket for 18.35 tomorrow.

Just following on from the BLQ question yesterday I notice that BACF have a EDI-FLR have a flight tomorrow departing at 07:00 tomorrow.

If I cannot get on the flight today would I be within my rights to ask for this routing (there is availability on the 22:00 LHR-EDI tonight) as the train is just over 2 hours and I should get to Venice around 14.00.

Would BA cover a hotel in Edinburgh tonight if this was the case.

It would just give me more time in Venice, luckily I'm staying with a friend so not incurring hotel costs.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:42 am
Original Poster

This is a moot point as my standby in J cleared. Must admit the BA staff I have encountered in the last 24 hours have all been excellent.

Thanks also for the advice here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.