Wiki Posts
Search

New Sparkling Water in the EDI Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
New Sparkling Water in the EDI Lounge

I’m on my way from EDI to Southampton tonight and as usual Security was busy, but efficient and the BA Lounge team were friendly and brilliant. My only minor gripe over the last 8 weeks has been that since the large glass bottles of sparkling water were removed, it has been a bit of a challenge to get water with bubbles in the lounge. I knew this was temporary, but was very pleased to see tonight that one of the new water fountains has been installed. It may seem very minor, but I’m really glad to see this improvement in the EDI lounge.

aks120, PETER01 and pacenotes like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Hopefully a bit better than the one installed in LHR T5 GF which took about 30 seconds to fill half a glass the last time I was there...
rt23456p and VSLover like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The GF installaition seemed to working ok when I checked it a few days ago. GF has also got lots of jugs of cold water scattered around, I gather that was out fo expediency given that the pumps would be over-used if that was the only source of water.

What I like about this device is that (a) there are 2 levels of bubbliness and (b) it comes out chilled so that ice isn't really needed.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
GF has also got lots of jugs of cold water scattered around
We have stooped to new lows of canteenery. Tap water in a supposedly premium lounge.
camdentown likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I like sparkling water fountains because they mean I can refill my small bottle (my contribution to “lounge criminality” ) with the greatest ease and the water normally comes out coldest!
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Genius1
We have stooped to new lows of canteenery. Tap water in a supposedly premium lounge.
What's wrong with tap water? Is it bad in UK?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly
In hard water areas, yes, it tastes poor and is full of limescale.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Originally Posted by Genius1
In hard water areas, yes, it tastes poor and is full of limescale.
Interestingly I had this conversation with a nutrition expert and my GP approx 6 months ago. The nutrition guy said you should only everyone should drink pure spring/glacier water as tap is highly contaminated and even contains illegal drugs and can never be pure. My GP (in her 60's) said this was talking total horse s**** and claimed she had been drinking it all her life and there was nothing wrong with it and in fact was some of the best water in the world.

Either way, I would like to think these new water tap systems being dispensed through these new taps have been distilled in some form as you get in modern offices.

What surprises me more is BA has not taken Only Fools and Horses inspiration;
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Interestingly I had this conversation with a nutrition expert and my GP approx 6 months ago. The nutrition guy said you should only everyone should drink pure spring/glacier water as tap is highly contaminated and even contains illegal drugs and can never be pure. My GP (in her 60's) said this was talking total horse s**** and claimed she had been drinking it all her life and there was nothing wrong with it and in fact was some of the best water in the world.
I was bound to say this, but your GP is correct. Nutritionists need to create a market for themselves, GPs do not, at least in the UK.

These fountains are made by Brita and the Extra C Tap has a 3 phase filtration process. An initial sieve to keep out larger unwanted molecules, a carbon filter tube which absorbs molecules which can impinge the flavour, and a thermalised storage stage which also ensures the water doesn't get contaminated. And it tastes very good, no chlorination overtones. My home is directly linked to spring water so I'm sensitive to this, but these fountains taste good, and filtered tap water is the best of all worlds to my view, rather than humping water in bottles from Yorkshire to London. If GF gave a selection of different miniteral water brands - as happens with wine - then I would see the canteen point, but if it's a choice of one then using a filter fountain seems sensible to me, so long as it is properly maintained.
Lefly, crazy8534, volar and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:40 am

So when are they installing the LPGS fountain?
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:46 am

Scottish tap water in particular is some of the best you can get.

I think this is a good move from BA, a proper filtered tap is fine, plus it will cut down on so much waste.

In the states they gave out cartons of water instead of bottles in the lounge and on the plane. It would be good to see this in time to cut down on plastic use too.

For that matter compostable cutlery in Y would be nice as well or even metal in all cabins.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:58 am

I drink tap water in high quality restaurants as well. The council juice up here is a delight.

As for when it has been filtered and chilled am sure in a blind taste test you would not notice much difference.

My decisions to fly is separate from this what I was saying was it's good to see airlines cutdown on waste.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 16, 2022 at 3:01 am Reason: Remove quoted content while allowing this post to stand
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:01 am

I'm conflicted about this. Yes, mineral water is more premium and it looks cheap for BA to ditch it for refillable bottles. However that said, the filtered tap systems are much more sustainable, especially given the transportation costs. I do realise the irony of that in such a carbon intensive industry such as an airline, but I guess as the adage goes, every little helps.
jamiel likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
While BA might appear to be being altruistic, there are two sides to this.

Environmentally, using tap water rather than bottled removes transport and packaging costs. British tap water is 100% safe and healthy.
(Decanting this into a jug is probably not a great idea though, it costs in staff time and dishwashing the jugs).

The previous bottled water offerings in the lounge were spring/mineral water - bottled at source. This is definitely a premium product. Notably a lot more expensive than tap water.

So BA are now offering a cheaper product, you could argue that the environmental savings are worth it, but note that BA is saving money by doing so.
jamiel likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I'm not sure there is something said to be honest. As long as its safe, I expect moste people don't care where it's from. Indeed I expect people do not know the provenance of a lot of the food or drink they consume. Do people enquire about Pret or Starbucks' water supply? I expect not. I think the whole bottled water thing is fast becoming anachronistic.
jamiel likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 16, 2022 at 3:02 am Reason: Remove quoted content while allowing this post to stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.