Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could BA make better use of J on the A380

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
I don’t like that idea at all. Not because it’s bad, but because I enjoy the 380 and the upper deck is where I like to sit. Plus, I love the upper deck J lavatory, and I’m one who likes a couple of glasses and dinner on board. So I’m a 👎
simon stingray and Visconti like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cubedweller
The JFK-LCY service was effectively a sleeper service. Lights off at pushback, simplified meal service for those that wanted, packed breakfast handed to you as you left the plane. And it was glorious. RIP.
A niche product that wasn't an earner.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, EK, EY, SQ
Why obsess over whether other people are sleeping, just because you want to sleep?

Oh wait, old Club World doesn’t offer a proper business class seat with privacy.

Even then, passive aggressively forcing others to sleep, just because you want to is just plain weird.

I can’t remember the last time someone started singing an opera at full volume from their seat in Club World, so please just live and let live, you come across as very intrusive telling others when to sleep.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by cubedweller
The JFK-LCY service was effectively a sleeper service. Lights off at pushback, simplified meal service for those that wanted, packed breakfast handed to you as you left the plane. And it was glorious. RIP.
Well, yes and no. There was an abbreviated Champagne Supper which was a decent quality single tray meal - as opposed to the rubbish served now. The 'grab a bag' was an option as there were also an enhanced breakfast option or something quick and fast on board. If you could be bothered, there was also the option of having breakfast at a local hotel rather like the Arrivals Lounge.

The problem, as far as a sleeper service was concerned, was that the 318 was a small plane, so you felt it if it got choppy, and relatively noisy. As a 2x2 configuration, it wasn't particularly private if you had a seat mate.

I do miss it to but the real USP was clearing US immigration at Shannon and being able to go straight through customs to your taxi/cab on arrival at JFK.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
A niche product that wasn't an earner.
But it was fun!!! Although I must admit I only used it LCY-JFK, preferring the 747 back to LHR!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's a novel idea which won't happen because of the reasons given above. However, I do think that if the A380 had been more successful as a 747 replacement, we may have seen airlines being more innovative in this kind of way. Especially as it is/was commonplace for people to book flights to a destination just because of the A380.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Tack
I don’t like that idea at all. Not because it’s bad, but because I enjoy the 380 and the upper deck is where I like to sit. Plus, I love the upper deck J lavatory, and I’m one who likes a couple of glasses and dinner on board. So I’m a 👎
I'm with you here!

One of the reasons I'd generally (unless I run into that paying for J seat selection as an OWE glitch) choose BA over AF would be higher probability of flying on the A380 over the 777 on the TATL route. While of course personal preferences vary considerably, I've always preferred the rear (optimally, the last J seat on the upper deck) where you have less traffic, can always see what's going on and instantly know when it's a good time to use the lavatories.

Originally Posted by TedToToe
It's a novel idea which won't happen because of the reasons given above. However, I do think that if the A380 had been more successful as a 747 replacement, we may have seen airlines being more innovative in this kind of way. Especially as it is/was commonplace for people to book flights to a destination just because of the A380.
While I understand some of the rationale on why the A380 hadn't been as universally embraced as the smaller jets, it's my preferred aircraft to fly on long hauls. It's too bad, since I'm gonna miss it when it invariably gets phased out.

Last edited by Visconti; Oct 9, 2022 at 9:34 am Reason: multiquote...
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by morges1
But it was fun!!! Although I must admit I only used it LCY-JFK, preferring the 747 back to LHR!
Agreed - 64A/K were the best seats BA had in CW (despite the floppy IFE screens) especially on overnights, preceded ideally by a decent bit of pre-flight dining and a few glasses of wine etc. Some even claimed to prefer these seats to the slightly dodgy F seats - what were they 4 and 5 EF?

I think the general feeling was that BA really missed a trick with the A380. Firstly, when they came into service BA should have used that as an opportunity to launch the new CW seat of whatever design. Even by then the NCW seat was old hat and BA was rapidly falling behind in terms of hard product. I know others felt that there ought to have been a bar at the back like Emirates or break-out area between F and CW like Etihad. I know this was hotly debated at the time with those who fly to sleep poohpoohing any such thoughts. At the time the publicity by Airbus was suggesting all sort of variations like on-board gyms and duty free shops. Instead BA offered nothing of interest at all. F should really have been on the upper deck at the front to utilise the large lavatories (where of course other airlines installed showers) with the rest of the UD devoted to CW as it's generally quieter - and has better views not completely obliterated by the wing. It would also have made sense for the crews one would have thought with all the catering and and other amenities together in one place.
SW7London, Cw novice and nilsfr69 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.