Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nut allergy - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Nut allergy - a few questions

Travelling in a few months and OH has a severe tree nut allergy. Now we have been on many flights before without a hitch, however this is his first long haul flight.

I know I can request information of allergens in the supplied food, as well as request other passengers don’t eat nuts. I’m not concerned about food which contains tree nuts, for instance pesto.

I however have one or two questions:

- we are in WTP on the inward leg, now this is obviously very close to CW and the nut policy is the announcement is only applicable for your class (unless I’ve misread this). Hence do they serve cashew nuts in CW still?

- do the supplied blankets and pillows get cleaned after each use?

- what have people’s past experiences been with this?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:54 pm

Flew long haul Club earlier this week. The announcement was made after doors closed regarding a passenger with a severe nut allergy and the request made for all passengers to refrain from eating any nuts they may have bought on board. The Club nut mix which do contain cashews were subbed for WT+ pretzels.

I was always under the impression the nut ban was restricted to the cabin where the sufferer sits. So long as the cabin has a solid partition between it and other cabins (ie a galley, toilets, etc...) then nuts can be served but I guess this may have been old news or at least on my flight no chances were being taken.... or the sufferer was sitting in Club, but I got the impression it was the entire aircraft.
​​​​​
becks1 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy LTP
Two weeks ago on a long haul out of LHR, the announcement to refrain from eating nuts and having no nuts served on board was relayed to entire aircraft due to a pax with a severe nut allergy. CW offered walkers shortbread with G&Ts.
SxMan and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
OP - sorry to hear about your wife's allergy. I would be concerned about what had happened on the previous flight and whether the cabin cleaning was as thorough as it should be. Maybe you do this already, but wiping down every surface with wet wipes could be wise.
SxMan and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
What we do for our older daughter who has a severe allergy to all "tree and ground" nuts is get BA to make a note on the booking about this. Usually that means they don't serve nuts, but if they are in the meals they have to serve them to other passengers.
No problem with this as long as the crew wash their hands with disinfectant before serving her. Only other problem we have is she's gluten intolerant too, so she bring her own food to eat just to be safe.
She's never trusts the food anyway coming from a facility that uses nuts in loads of products.

She always checks the seat and gives it a wipe down before sitting in it as once there were cashews down the side of the chair when she got on. Given this was first you think it would have been cleaned properly.

Just mention to the crew when you board as well and all should be good.

Hope all goes well.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Blankets and pillow cases are washed after each flight, you will be able to pre board to give you time for an extra clean around your seat. The announcement will be made in the WT cabin only as each cabin is separated by a fixed bulkhead an curtain.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:02 am
formerly JackDann

Mention it to BA and they can minimise the risk for you by asking people not to consume nuts, however if her allergy is that severe then i’d still be worried about travelling as there is nothing to say that there won’t be traces of nuts within the seat etc.
stifle likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:08 am

I was on flight from Dubai couple weeks ago, a message came over about a passenger allergic to nuts and they won’t be serving nuts and can people not eat them. No problem until you had the chicken biryani in club class which had nuts in it.
DelTroon, astra19e and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Nuts in cooked meals served to other customers is not considered a risk and the biryani could be served.

Specific Tree Nut & Peanut Allergy PolicySeverely allergic passengers are eligible for pre-boarding in order to make their seating area more comfortable for them. This will allow them time to wipe down the armrests and tray tables with wipes they have brought on-board.

Severely allergic passengers must speak with cabin crew on boarding the aircraft to inform them of their severe allergy.

If requested by the customer, cabin crew shall make an announcement so that other passengers are aware of the presence of a severely allergic passenger. Cabin crew shall explain their needs to people seated near to the allergic passenger.

As an alternative to the nut based snacks, nut free snacks from other cabins may be substituted and served. Meals containing tree nuts served to other passengers, are not considered a risk to the allergic passenger and these may continue to be served.

On notification of a severe tree nut or peanut allergy, Crew must suspend the serving of bags or pots of loose nuts in the cabin of travel according to the following guidance:
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your answers and guidance, it’s much appreciated!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
allergic passengers are eligible for pre-boarding
No wonder allergies have apparently become so common nowadays!
skipness1E, bafan and nick585 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by craigdthomas
What we do for our older daughter who has a severe allergy to all "tree and ground" nuts is get BA to make a note on the booking about this. Usually that means they don't serve nuts, but if they are in the meals they have to serve them to other passengers.
No problem with this as long as the crew wash their hands with disinfectant before serving her. Only other problem we have is she's gluten intolerant too, so she bring her own food to eat just to be safe.
She's never trusts the food anyway coming from a facility that uses nuts in loads of products.

She always checks the seat and gives it a wipe down before sitting in it as once there were cashews down the side of the chair when she got on. Given this was first you think it would have been cleaned properly.

Just mention to the crew when you board as well and all should be good.

Hope all goes well.
the only comment I would make is that the crew would need to wash their hands with soapy water rather then disinfectant as far as I know disinfected nut particles would not reduce the risk of a reaction
nancypants and flyerkit like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
the only comment I would make is that the crew would need to wash their hands with soapy water rather then disinfectant as far as I know disinfected nut particles would not reduce the risk of a reaction
alcohol gel also doesn’t work

i will refrain from further comment on account of inadequate returns
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Nobody wants west
Old Oct 5, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Nobody wants Anaphylaxis shock across the Atlantic.

I love nuts. Let’s be clear.

but you do sometimes wonder if it’s worth the risk it being part of onboard service.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.