Wiki Posts
Search

BGI-LHR First (jet terminal)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Silver, AmEx Platinum, PP
BGI-LHR First (jet terminal)

I’m due to travel from BGI-LHR on Saturday in F.
Has anyone done this route via the jet terminal , and if so - is it worth it?
I often fly LHR-BGI and this is my 2nd time in F on this route. The first time I was running late and headed straight for the main terminal.
Anyone who has recently done this route: would be interested to hear your thoughts …
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Depends what you mean by ‘is it worth it’?

I was there a few weeks ago. On arrival luggage is taken from you, then through security and check-in. Small lounges upstairs. Passengers on our flight seemed to have been placed in three rooms. Serve yourself beverages, very limited choice, plus dry snacks. Staff keep pax updated with boarding etc. Private bus to aircraft.

Would I do it again? Yes.

Doc Copper
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Exec Silver, AmEx Platinum, PP
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Depends what you mean by ‘is it worth it’?

I was there a few weeks ago. On arrival luggage is taken from you, then through security and check-in. Small lounges upstairs. Passengers on our flight seemed to have been placed in three rooms. Serve yourself beverages, very limited choice, plus dry snacks. Staff keep pax updated with boarding etc. Private bus to aircraft.

Would I do it again? Yes.

Doc Copper
I suppose to avoid the lines in main terminal is priority for me. Last time I flew back from BGI-LHR in December there was a BA flight to LWG and a AL flight to Ireland cancelled which caused massive turmoil at checkin.

is there access to duty free at the private terminal?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by baexecsilver_eu1
I suppose to avoid the lines in main terminal is priority for me. Last time I flew back from BGI-LHR in December there was a BA flight to LWG and a AL flight to Ireland cancelled which caused massive turmoil at checkin.

is there access to duty free at the private terminal?
Unable to answer that as I did not need it. I saw no reference to Duty Free, and no-one mentioned it. Therefore, I suspect not.

Doc Copper

Last edited by DoctorCopper; Sep 28, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
There is no duty free in the private terminal, but they will take you to the main terminal before the flight starts to board to get duty free. I understand you then remain in the terminal and board directly from there.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
It’s pretty much unique on the network and you wonder how much longer it’ll last. There were sandwiches etc when we were there as well as a decent range of drinks. There are also showers (90% sure on this). It’s not somewhere to spend ages - it’s small and the windows are heavily frosted and covered in wooden colonial blinds so not a great view - but definitely worth experiencing it.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Last time I was in the lounge in the main terminal it was rammed. Food and drink were nothing to write home about so overall, unless you want to do much in the way of shopping I would take the Jet Terminal, it's a far more pleasant experience.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
We were there in June, and it is definitely worth doing. How often do you get to be driven by car/minivan to the plane? (Well, some who fly other airlines F might, but I’m not in that bracket.) You get driven to the bottom of door 1L and see everyone else climbing the stairs further back giving you bemused looks. I put my head down and quickly made my way up the steps! I think a few F pax didn’t know about the Jet Center because one bloke was asking how come we got special treatment.

It’s super easy. You arrive, go through the type of security that you’d find at a museum and they had our boarding passes ready for us at the desk. We were taken upstairs to a pretty basic lounge. It’s fine, but not worth getting there hours in advance. I think we arrived at the Center at 16:15 for a 17:25 departure. It’s pretty small and most seats were taken so I didn’t want to bother people by taking loads of photos. It’s comfortable enough though.

The food was basic, but we were planning to eat on board. They had a decent drinks selection, which included small bottles of LP NV champagne.

You can be taken to the terminal to use the duty free but you can’t then come back. I’d say the convenience (including being able to arrive close to departure) and fun/novelty trump visiting a duty free shop but YMMV. I would try it while it's still available.

Entrance to the BA part of the Center

Last taste of it in Barbados!

View out the window - incoming BA flight

F&B

Main part of the BA room
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Yes, do it. Proper F experience.
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Definitely worth doing!
gustavmahler likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
This reminds me of similar at Grenada (which is a paid for service as BA don't offer F to this destination) in the IAM Jet Centre. At least there if you choose to go to look at the duty free you just have to ask a member of gate staff to radio the lounge and they'll send someone to collect you.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Another vote in favour of using the IAM jet centre at BGI. The check in is civilised and the lounge is adequate, nothing special. A minivan to the aircraft is necessary due to its location and is good.

One additional point, do not worry as you approach the IAM Jet centre, the road is awful.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
One other plus point is that if you have a hire car you picked up from the airport you can leave it at the IAM centre, and they will get the hire company to collect it.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold life/ GGL and U2 plus
My wife didn't t like it , she missed the shops and the buzz : I did - no queues, no hassle and direct boarding by mini bus to the aircraft , next time we will split , also the free pencils fit my I pad cover
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:16 pm

Flew through the Private Jet Terminal on Sunday - a great experience which I'd recommend unequivocally! Check in was a breeze, and virtually non existant - I handed my passport to the staff before walking through the metal detector and was immediately given my boarding pass after passing through.
Sandwiches and snacks are served in the lounge, which has great views of the apron and runway - you'll find spirits on the bar and mini bottles of Laurent Perrier in the fridge.
Around 20 minutes prior to departure you're bussed straight to the front stairs - the other stairs had already been removed, and as soon as we boarded they closed the doors and started push-back. The cabin crew had time to serve a glass of LPGS before we took off only around 5 mins later!

I would do it again and again and again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.