Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways is forcing me to share an Avios account with my cheating ex-husband

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways is forcing me to share an Avios account with my cheating ex-husband

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022 | 9:28 am
Original Poster
15 Years on Site

Not mine, but someone who has written to the Daily Telegraph. A tale of cheating, STD, and Family Accounts….
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/british-airways-forcing-share-avios-account-cheating-ex-husband/

Dear Katie,

My marriage ended very painfully and the past few years have been a very difficult and upsetting time for me. My ex-husband and I are now divorced, having split our assets through solicitors, and we are not on speaking terms.

We used to have a British Airways American Express joint credit card, which we used to collect Avios points. As part of our settlement we kept our own Avios points, yet our points are still being held jointly in one of British Airways’ family and friends-style “household accounts”.

I have contacted British Airways on several occasions to ask it to remove me from this household account, but I am still trapped. I asked on more than one occasion to speak to senior managers in the call centres, who seem to say it is policy and they physically cannot remove me. They say I have to ask my ex to remove me from the account.

It seems madness, but having then searched the internet it seems there are others in this situation. I am not prepared to contact my ex-husband so he has access to seeing whatever points I obtain and what flights I’m going on.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 26, 2022 at 9:32 am Reason: To comply with copyright as article is now paywalled
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Sounds all fairly normal mis-service...
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 10:26 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
I’ve never heard of a one-off visit to GF as a service recovery gesture before.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It’s almost as if BA management look at every issue these days and think “hmmmm, how can we make this as complicated and nonsensical for all parties involved”. Perhaps they get a bonus for performance related stupidity.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 10:57 am
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Ive never heard of a one-off visit to GF as a service recovery gesture before.
And with all due respect, one visit to GF seems a pitiful response.
zen100, nancypants, SK and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 11:02 am
30 Countries Visited40 Nights2M10 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
The thing that gets me is that someone ("a senior manger") took the trouble to call and yet "wasnt awfully apologetic".
This is public relations 101: you screwed-up, own it.
Turn an unhappy customer into one who feels listened-to, believed and who will use the business again.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 11:09 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Im mostly a bit gobsmacked that the agony-aunt consumer champion put a whole load of lurid details about the divorce in the response that werent in the letter?! Presumably neither is verbatim reproduction of the respective missives, but thats an odd look to give to yourself.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by etiene
Im mostly a bit gobsmacked that the agony-aunt consumer champion put a whole load of lurid details about the divorce in the response that werent in the letter?! Presumably neither is verbatim reproduction of the respective missives, but thats an odd look to give to yourself.
Usually with these columns the actual letter is edited down and some details are added in the response. I'm not especially sure why, perhaps to make them both similar lengths.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 1:31 pm
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

New avenue to get redress from BA:
- email
- call
- Twitter
- rant on FT and hope BA lurker picks up
- contact agony aunt of local newspaper
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 1:39 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by stifle
Usually with these columns the actual letter is edited down and some details are added in the response. I'm not especially sure why, perhaps to make them both similar lengths.
Indeed I presume that to be the case, but it's hardly relevant to a consumer's complaint column and moving it to the response just gives the impression that the agony-aunt "consumer champion" is airing dirty laundry that the consumer isn't. Unlikely to be encouraging to potential future consumers, you'd have thought.

On the subject of the complaint, seems like any adult BAEC member ought to be able to withdraw from a Family account and it's a bit puzzling why there was any resistance to it.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All a bit melodramatic if you ask me.
Someone should get in touch and invite her to the forum.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 3:12 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by muscat
Not mine, but someone who has written to the Daily Telegraph. A tale of cheating, STD, and Family Accounts….
Damn. Based on the title, I was so excited to hear about [MENTION=201181]muscat[/MENTION]'s life here.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 3:17 pm

I would have thought that holding information in a manner that it can be retrieved by a third party (ie the ex) would be a breach of GDPR.
squawk and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 3:36 pm

Programs: BA silver
A big clap for Katie then.
Old Sep 25, 2022 | 3:48 pm
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by ManInExitRow
A big clap for Katie then.

Insert Captain America I understood that reference meme here.
Delboy65 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.