Wiki Posts
Search

Child Fare for Infant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas; Virgin Australia; Le Club Accor; Marriott
Child Fare for Infant

Does any one know if there is any issues with booking my infant a child fare?

Looking at Valencia in January and her ticket will be either £59.47 as a child or £43.47 as an infant.

£16 seems like a no brainer for an extra seat.

The 10% of the total fare for an infant no longer seems to exist (at least for short haul).
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Waz22

Looking at Valencia in January and her ticket will be either £59.47 as a child or £43.47 as an infant.

The 10% of the total fare for an infant no longer seems to exist (at least for short haul).
Are you sure? We paid 10% for a fare to Greece in CE recently
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Will100
Are you sure? We paid 10% for a fare to Greece in CE recently
Maybe, i havent been looking at CE. Only the flash sale fares at the moment and the taxes from LHR seem to be high in comparison to the overall fare.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
How many travellers, if there are two adults and a baby you will have the middle seat vacant anyway?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Waz22

Dont forget its just 10% of the fare there are also taxes.
GUWonder and so3003 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why not just actually book as infant with seat , rather than taking the risk?
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
How many travellers, if there are two adults and a baby you will have the middle seat vacant anyway?
Not if you book as an infant. Then they go on the lap and you can pretty much guarantee someone will be sat in the other seat! (The OP doesn't mention class but from the price it is going to be Y).
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Your right I missed that and assumed CE.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: *A
I did that once. The issue was that I couldn't pre-book the bassinet since I had paid for a seat. That obviously won't be a problem shorthall. I could bring a(n approved) car seat on.
I also booked a child seat on FR. They have a specific formula to follow. That was a financial no-brainer.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:32 pm

Young rapidex was £800 to go on concorde LHR-JFK, and we put cushions on the arm rest for him.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
As above it's 10% of the fare component only, but almost the same taxes / charges (I think it's slightly less than adult taxes / charges but not by much) - hence not much difference in total cost in some cases.

If infant is booked into their own seat you may need to provide a carseat-style seat for them to actually sit in as they may be too small to sit unaided in the seat with seatbelt on.

If they're ticketed for sitting-on-lap they'll need to be in this position for takeoff, landing and whenever seatbelt sign on in flight. It's vice versa if ticketed for their own seat.

If you're booking three seats together in economy it's probably worth the extra seat at minimal cost, but be sure to reserve your seats so you're not sitting apart!! (Worst scenario would be 1 adult with child and other adult separate - but that may not be ideal!)
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Update - called to book as stated on the website. When selecting seats as OWE gave me the usual infant restrictions but could still select her a seat.

BA agent didnt seem to think there would be a problem if I just booked her as a child on the website however I wanted to make sure there is an infant seat belt for takeoff, landing etc.

Ended up only costing £204 economy for 3 seats instead of £188 for 2 + infant on lap. Not bad either way for a long weekend in Valencia departing LHR T3.

Now to book the next trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.