Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Pure laziness.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Given the USA is not to my knowledge a 3rd world outpost, why do they not replenish stocks when there? It is not exactly a 20 minute turn around.
Bars are restocked down route based on demand/length. Most Eastern USA routes don't restock as there's no need to. The bars hold enough for both journeys. Nothing to do with not being able to restock, or it being a "3rd world country"!

"Round tripped bars" need to have stock equally distributed though, so the return crew have equally full bars for the return service (in economy). This is normally done after the first meal service, then most of the bars are locked to ensure there's enough stock for the return. 95% of the time this does not impact on customer requests after the meal service.

Longer routes, and higher demand routes eg LAS, have the bars removed and fully restocked (but the bars in ALL cabins STILL need to be counted, locked and sealed before 40 minutes).

Nothing to do with lazy, everything to do with historical demand and time.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No cabin should have all bars closed 90 minutes before landing, one bar should remain open and available until 45 minutes before landing, sounds like bad planning/management to me.
asnovici, PETER01, bafan and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by A13
Great, now diverting to Dulles
Perhaps they are diverting to Dulles to pick up more alcohol.
steveholt and GratefulSmile like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
No cabin should have all bars closed 90 minutes before landing, one bar should remain open and available until 45 minutes before landing, sounds like bad planning/management to me.
The voice of reason once again.

Too many people making excuses for BA not being able to offer the full service throughout the flight. I agree with CIHY, it is just poorly motivated, poorly supervised crew who find the easy action preferable to the right action. I flew a SH Finnair route last week. Chalk and Cheese to BA crew and reminded me of BA crew of old. Have they all gone or have they just accepted that if you cannot beat them, join them?
bafan and ermis177 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many are still there but find it easier to follow the crowd rather than rock the boat, it’s very sad to see how things have turned out.
Geordie405 and camdentown like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68

Too many people making excuses for BA not being able to offer the full service throughout the flight.
The way I read it was the flight in question was in diversion mode so assumed it had been made ready for landing. As we usually only ever get to hear one side of the story I suppose we'll never know.
HarryHolden68 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Longer routes, and higher demand routes eg LAS, have the bars removed and fully restocked (but the bars in ALL cabins STILL need to be counted, locked and sealed before 40 minutes).
Good to know that BA is willing to restock on some routes. One thing to note: other than customs duties, most alcohol regulation in the US is handled at the state level. Given that BA flies to around 12-15 different US states, they are potentially dealing with 15 different sets of laws and contracts with 15 different liquor distributors.
LETTERBOY and paulaf like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True but all stations are treated the same with bars counted and customs forms completed and distributed.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
True but all stations are treated the same with bars counted and customs forms completed and distributed.
No argument there, and if weather or other factors require closing the bar early I would appreciate a PA announcement e.g. “due to expected turbulence, I’ve asked our cabin crew to end their service early and take their seats.” Or perhaps even a personal “last call” from the CC if in a premium class.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t think either of those are appropriate, it’s not a pub. If you want a drink either use your call bell or visit the galley.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:24 am

Your bang on.

Leave one bar open. If someone asks for a gin, cross out 10 and put in 9…. I’ve been doing that for years.. it’s really simple.
AnaTravel and drwook like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
For all its faults, Iberia have served us drinks up until around 10 minutes to landing - which is about the same time they play the announcement to put your tray table away and bags in the overhead. The first time I flew them I was worried the crew had forgot about landing preparation and we'd end up having to go-around. Cabin crew took their seats about 2 minutes out from touchdown!
The Iberia crew are usually still stood around talking in the galley going over the M25 when landing at Heathrow.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
The voice of reason once again.

Too many people making excuses for BA not being able to offer the full service throughout the flight.
Indeed. First questions about if the OP was flying in economy and when the answer was that they flew business another excuse was found. At least we have people like CIHY with decades of experience and professionalism who will tell us how the right procedure should be.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:49 am
A13
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Been given 20,000 avios for this inconvenience today. Only took 2 months to respond..!
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.