Wiki Posts
Search

Hand luggage woes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
And if you complain on FT about BA losing your checked bags you'll get the usual replies from people saying it's your fault for being stupid enough to check a bag.
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Barring the odd exception, nobody does this. People say it's your fault when people check things like important medication. Nobody blames people for checking bags.
I have to agree with LondonAussie. My intro to the BA forum several years ago was me making the mistake of asking a question about how to get reimbursed for delayed baggage expenses after my checked bags were delayed a day flying into Africa. I got a full page of lectures such as "this is why you shouldn't check bags" or "I never check my bags, carry on only" before I got any helpful responses. Thankfully I came back and found some genuinely helpful posters, because that initial response was a little less than welcoming.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bafan
This is exactly the cause of the problem.

Passengers going on long trips (more than overnight) should be checking bags in the hold. Only hand bags/satchels and laptops etc should come in the cabin, and then there would be room for everyone.
should we indeed? I dare say my carryon bag for a 6 day trip is still smaller than the usual large rollaboard and second bag I see most people using

how about we just ban rollaboards
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
WAW today for 847, bags all being put in the sizer and those that don’t fit are being put in the hold…
flygirl68, wrp96, KARFA and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
WAW today for 847, bags all being put in the sizer and those that don’t fit are being put in the hold…
BA are monitoring this thread! *Duck and cover*
Old Sep 15, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
should we indeed? I dare say my carryon bag for a 6 day trip is still smaller than the usual large rollaboard and second bag I see most people using

I’d be ok with that, too…
KARFA and Radiation Station like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Good thing too. There should be more of it.

Why should we suffer because of people who blatantly flout the rules?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I would love to see airlines reverse the baggage policy. There is a lot of space in the hold, while space in the cabin is limited. Thus, it would make more sense to make checked bags free on all fares and instead charge for carry-ons (with small personal item still being free).

What is most frustrating is that while I usually only take small bag into the cabin, I'm rewarded by being asked to put it under my seat (thus limiting my legroom) to allow people with large carry-ons (the ones who caused the problem) to store them overhead.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by danmushman
BA are monitoring this thread! *Duck and cover*
I hope so. I take a cabin bag in CE + large laptop bag, but I've seen people (in economy) with hold bags being brought into the cabin. Happening more frequently. I then spend my time watching the crew rearrange CE baggage to get economy bags in the CE area as there's not enough room for 3 big suitcases above the seats behind CE.

In CE you can get away with it as there's only two people per row, so it's rare you fill the locker above you, even if both people bring suitcases and a laptop/large handbag.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 4:19 am

I wonder how long before they start to check the weight of the bag as the limit is 23kg. This morning while in the gym I noticed a 40kg dumbbell would very comfortably fit within the bag sizer.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by chriswiles
In CE you can get away with it as there's only two people per row, so it's rare you fill the locker above you, even if both people bring suitcases and a laptop/large handbag.
The exception being CityFlyer, where I've watched a few times in the last month on holiday routes passengers dump their rollaboard in the open CE locker and walk back to their seats somewhere near the front of ET, then a late boarding CE passenger find there is literally nowhere to store their bag in the first 8 or so rows. One time a CE passenger was asked if they minded a suitcase going in the empty seat beside them, the other time the crew had to scramble around rearranging about 10 lockers to tesselate all the bags into the overhead. Even in CE from LHR I've seen some completely full lockers recently.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The problem with CE lockers is that row 1 and sometimes 2 are taken by stuff which should be stored elsewhere -- staff luggage, demo kits etc. --, in the galley for example. But BA have trimmed space there too.

That tends to have a knock-on effect.
bafan likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bafan
This is exactly the cause of the problem.

Passengers going on long trips (more than overnight) should be checking bags in the hold. Only hand bags/satchels and laptops etc should come in the cabin, and then there would be room for everyone.
How that would be implemented is questionable. I think that there should be a system whereby the ET cabin can take x cases and when they are sold that is it. - people should pay for that which would show on their boarding pass. The LCC manage this exceedingly well.

Overriding all of this is the thought in my mind that if BA really got its act together and got the wretched bags to people in a timely manner - this would go away by itself as people would know that they and their luggage would be quickly reunited. Whilst I see sights like cases falling off baggage trolleys or flung out of bins, I'll take mine aboard CE thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How that would be implemented is questionable. I think that there should be a system whereby the ET cabin can take x cases and when they are sold that is it. - people should pay for that which would show on their boarding pass. The LCC manage this exceedingly well.

Overriding all of this is the thought in my mind that if BA really got its act together and got the wretched bags to people in a timely manner - this would go away by itself as people would know that they and their luggage would be quickly reunited. Whilst I see sights like cases falling off baggage trolleys or flung out of bins, I'll take mine aboard CE thanks.
I have thought the same thing as the issue becomes more acute over time. BA already do this kind of segmentation with free seat selection. CE should keep the same baggage allowance, as should those in ET with status, on full Y or who pay for a second bag. Probably connecting from longhaul too just to make it work in practice. Everyone else should be restricted to one smaller item which is shown by boarding pass and checked by the staff at the gate. All the extra time it takes for gate staff to check that would be more than offset by the shorter boarding time as passengers don’t queue waiting for the entire cabin to load their huge rollaboards into the locker. If it’s too much hassle to check separately then just link it to group numbers.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I wonder how long before they start to check the weight of the bag as the limit is 23kg. This morning while in the gym I noticed a 40kg dumbbell would very comfortably fit within the bag sizer.
Ryanair used to the this at stansted.

they would pull you over and weigh it. 10kg limit. 10.1 would get it checked for £50.

the staff got commission and they stopped it in the end.

I bought scales and filled to 9.5kg to give some margin. One of the many reasons I don’t fly then anymore
MiraculousM and flybymonkey like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by KARFA

Couldn't agree more. The roll aboard cases take up a large amount of space, especially with their wheels. I have recently seen people jam roll abroads into the overhead bins on an A320 neo that are nearly the size of my checked bag, an XL Scure spinner. These bags are also inflexible and take up a fixed amount of room. My carry on is a Patagonia “Maximum Legal Carry on (MLC)” that can be worn as backpack and is optimised to be packed efficiently - as it’s a soft bag, it also takes up little space in the overhead bin and can be squashed a bit to make extra space. Why are we letting people being large suitcases on board? It’s particularly bad on domestics for some reason.
KARFA and lost_in_translation like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.