Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exciting opportunity to join BA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Argoat
Probably someone at the other end of the economic spectrum to you? Seems to match the average salary (https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries...RCH_KO0,10.htm) and is more than you get as a private in the army.
It's still well below the UK national average.
It wasn't meant to come across as derogatory, more an example of when the salary isn't necessarily going to be perceived as great then its not necessarily a great advertising point..... which comes back to the whole "competitive salary" cloak of mystery.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:08 pm
Suspended

A range might be appropriate, but why would you offer the same salary to someone who may have more experience or additional skills of value to the company as someone who may be at an earlier stage of their career but still suitable for the position?

The better qualified candidate will likely not reply because the salary is too low, and the less qualified (but acceptable) candidate is certainly going to be aggrieved at being offered a lesser than advertised amount.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:10 pm

My local McDonalds is offering $30K a year with no experience - and you get free food
Deckter likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:04 pm
Suspended

I think people are misreading what this job is for. Lazy me, I didn't click the link in the original post, which leads you to the actual job offering. Here's the top couple of paragraphs of the actual job listing:

"

Job Description

This is a key time to be joining British Airways as we Build a Better BA. We take huge pride in our past – but we’re looking to the future as an airline that loves embracing the best of modern Britain. Our country’s creativity, diversity, style, wit and warmth are the same special qualities that make us who we are. If you’re made of the same qualities as us, you could soon be part of the next chapter of our story. Together as one team, we’re connecting Britain with the world and the world to Britain like no one else

Join the dynamic Inflight Product team as Product Development Executive, reporting to the Product Development Manager. You will be responsible for the end to end of product development for a portfolio of products from initial concept to final implementation. You will liaise closely with all Inflight Product stakeholders to ensure products meet the service and safety requirements prior to testing and risk assessments."

"Inflight Products" could be most anything that the passenger is presented with, inflight, such as catering, drinks, etc., however in this context I think they are talking about inflight product SALES, e.g. what passes for inflight "duty free" sales offered out of the rolling trollies, possibly to include inflight meals and food that can be purchased by economy class passengers who don't get free food and drinks, although I doubt that they are including this.

The first paragraph is just fluff; the actual job is described in the second paragraph.

I doubt that this position being advertised for has anything much to do with what we in these forums would term to be the "inflight experience."
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by champignon
"Inflight Products" could be most anything that the passenger is presented with, inflight, such as catering, drinks, etc., however in this context I think they are talking about inflight product SALES, e.g. what passes for inflight "duty free" sales offered out of the rolling trollies,
Given that this poor sod will be "responsible for the end to end of product development for a portfolio of products from initial concept to final implementation" that's going to be an awful lot of work. They would have to come up with an "initial concept" for the entire range of in-flight merchandise - perfumes, cosmetics, jewellery, alcoholic drinks, gifts, etc - see them through realisation, test and manufacture, and then somehow have them displace the established brands that are currently sold on board.

Seems like unnecessary re-invention of the wheel.
MSPeconomist and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Sadly the so called competitive salary for such a role is band 3, which would probably be an instant turnoff.
Out of interest what does the band 3 range look like?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Beware of "exciting" opportunities.

Whenever someone mentions an "exciting" opportunity, I immediately think back to the Seinfeld episode in which George goes to the optical shop to order new glasses, and mistakenly picks out a lady's frame. Instead of correcting him, the optician says, "Oh, we just got those in. It's a very exciting new frame."

Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by golfmad
This thread gets a big thumbs down from me.

If there's demand for the role at the advertised salary then why shouldn't BA try to fill it and give someone an opportunity to further their career. If there's no demand for the role at the advertised price then BA will need to think again.
The issue is that BA will find someone desperate to do it with no/little experience and no idea what they are doing. We have seen the results many times before. Look for example the “Best of British” disaster. Poor food options, spelling mistakes, U.K. flag next to tiramisu and Black Forest, sausage rolls as light meals.
nancypants and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Lots of companies do this.
Pretty much says to me we'll shaft you with as little money as we can get away with.

On the other hand I was driving behind a bus today with an advertisement asking if £23k a year and flexible working hours were of interest. Got me thinking who in their right mind thinks this is something worth shouting about. I wanted to find out which deluded company thought this was a genuinely a good idea to shout about this as though a positive but then got distracted by traffic and never did find out.

Kudos to whoever it was for actually putting a figure out there. It's a no from me but like you mention it saves people from applying where the salary fails to meet expectation. I work to live, not the other way round.
In my neck of the woods (Brighton) that seems to be the wage offered for a bus driver. Seems an appropriate place to advertise it too!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
A McDonalds most junior position at the one down the road from me is $40k+ a year. The one on IoM is probably half that in pounds.

Makes me realize how truly out of it current college grads in the States are when they expect $100k min regardless of degree.
TarquinMontague likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Will100
I believe that these are the BA “head office bands” and band 3 is roughly graduate entry level £30-60k. I don’t work for BA so someone else might be able to answer better.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ermis177
The issue is that BA will find someone desperate to do it with no/little experience and no idea what they are doing. We have seen the results many times before. Look for example the “Best of British” disaster. Poor food options, spelling mistakes, U.K. flag next to tiramisu and Black Forest, sausage rolls as light meals.
I'd like to nominate the young woman who served me on my CE Gatwick flight last night, who was insistent that she bring me ice for my champagne, even after I pointed out - as an attempt to put her off - that the ice cubes wouldn't even fit in the tiny BA champagne glasses.

Kid was so young I doubt anyone has ever given her a glass of champagne, she potentially wasn't even legally old enough to drink one.
ermis177, nancypants and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I guess there is a wider debate to be had where an ‘exciting opportunity’ role involves any part of the customer experience.

Salary level is in truth only one element within the bigger picture, and perhaps too much attention is being devoted to whatever the precise figure might be. You could offer enough money & benefits to attract the very highest calibre of candidates, but of course that in itself is absolutely no guarantee of good outcomes for either the successful applicant or for the paying customer. So much revolves around available day-to-day resources and operating budgets - and the degree to which these may be constrained by edict of the CEO and his exec management team.

By way of example, I’d wager that the job description / core responsibilities for Head of Catering would include (amongst other things) some fluffy marketing-style waffle about the ‘creation and delivery of superior inflight products and presentation standards, rigorously designed to meet the expectations of our demanding premium cabin customers’. But then you only need look at photos over on the current CW catering thread, as evidence of real-world results once cost cutting is given more focus than quality.
ermis177, nancypants and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by angeloedades
What's the figure? around 30K?
Originally Posted by Will100
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I believe that these are the BA “head office bands” and band 3 is roughly graduate entry level £30-60k. I don’t work for BA so someone else might be able to answer better.
I would say the £30-50k maybe £60k at push depending on the applicant.
angeloedades and crazy8534 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by angeloedades
What's the figure? around 30K?
No idea, but the London Living wage @ £10.85 per hour places a 40 hour per week employee on just shy of £23k.

I might enjoy this role as a challenge but would probably last no more than 5 minutes into the first Exec presentation where after having my proposal declined on the grounds of cost, would have my say and then be invited to leave. Reminds me of the line from The Sum of all Fears when Morgan Freeman whispers to Ben Affleck "When I asked for your opinion I didn't mean for you to actually speak".
angeloedades likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.