Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Avios or TPs with MH Flex booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

No Avios or TPs with MH Flex booking

I’m disappointed that BAEC has rejected my claim for Avios/TPs in respect of an Economy “Flex” booking LHR-KUL-LHR with MH, on the grounds that MH issued the ticket in class O. It seems surprising that the most expensive economy fare offered by MH on its website does not qualify for rewards with it’s One World partner BA. Is One World a broken alliance or is this being wrongly adjudicated by BAEC?
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:27 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
MH have notoriously had several fare buckets which earn zero TPs/Avios for many years. Even some business tickets don't (or at least, didn't used to) earn any. Earning rates are visible on https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights and since there is no mention of O class, it appears that zero was correct.

Avios award table from 1 October 2021
Fare class Avios
Economy lowest (L, V, S, N) 25%
Economy low (K, M) 50%
Economy flexible (Y, B, H) 100%
Business low (Z) 100%
Business (J, C, D) 125%
Business Suite (F, A) 150%
FWIW, O doesn't even earn 100% to MH's own elites https://www.wheretocredit.com/malaysia-airlines/o and here's a thread from 2015 about this exact problem, wherein a poster states that O class is used for promo/sale fares rather than most expensive economy: Malaysia airline Class O

I'm unsure if this satisfies the threshold for considering the entire alliance broken, mind you!
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
O class has never earned tier points and Avios on MH. There’s a list of classes shown that do earn such as Y B and H.

I don’t think you have much of a complaint here.
orbitmic and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Unfortunately, MH has special promotional fares in Biz or Eco that do not yield any avios.They are cheaper but lose some benefits.

Before the 2021 change in Enrich, O was regarded among the lowest point earner for Enrich (MH) FFP.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:08 am

In this day in age of branded fares that book within the same booking class as restricted fares its increasingly difficult to decipher exactly what booking class has been booked. The assumption a flex fare will automatically entitle you to earning Avios or tier points isn't necessarily going to end well. The only way to avoid this is by requesting specific fare/booking classes and then taking a flex fare option once the preferred booking class has been secured. Not particularly easy to accomplish when airline websites are scripted in such a way to only show the lowest booking class available.
This would d either require a call up reservation or the assistance of a half decent travel agent in order to accomplish.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for setting my expectations straight. I was naively optimistic after reading, “Almost all flights are eligible. The only flights you do not earn Avios or Tier Points on are reward flights, agency discounted fares and industry discounted fares”, on ba.com. This statement it seems is not current policy in respect of MH!
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
Thanks everyone for setting my expectations straight. I was naively optimistic after reading, “Almost all flights are eligible. The only flights you do not earn Avios or Tier Points on are reward flights, agency discounted fares and industry discounted fares”, on ba.com. This statement it seems is not current policy in respect of MH!
That statement is in relation to flights operated by British Airways. The next bit, right below it, is the bit you needed to read and heed. Lesson learned for next time I suppose.

"The amount you collect depends on which airline you fly, how far you fly, the cabin you fly in, the type of ticket you hold and your Executive Club tier. The easiest way to work it out is to use our flight calculator. The details of each airline's policies are set out below."
Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
There are still Business fares that wouldn't credit - I class doesn't appear. Not sure if MH sell straight into I - saw it in the context of a QR fare - but I would assume they do.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Onyx Platinum
After booking yesterday with MH, I think that will be my last with them. We got caught a couple of years ago booking the 'wrong' type of business ticket that didn't earn TP.

We had a 2020 (Covid) voucher for around £550 in THB and thought we could do overnight KL run to extend our 30 day Thai visa for an extra week in November.
Business class was the wrong side of £1150 so as it is only a short hop we choose economy.
The only ticket we could book BKK-KUL-HKT is in Q with no luggage, no tier points or Avios. Annoyingly the 10 TP each way would have helped this year.

I will miss the satays but that's it for me with MH. They are not worthy of One World Status. BTW have you seen the price of LHR - KUL in J?

Last edited by Sparkyfletch; Sep 5, 2022 at 2:48 pm Reason: grammar mistake
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:48 pm

Also, just before I cancel this flight for the reasons above. I am just thinking with this Economy Q type booking we may not even get lounge access at KUL? (BA Gold)
Old Sep 5, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkyfletch
Also, just before I cancel this flight for the reasons above. I am just thinking with this Economy Q type booking we may not even get lounge access at KUL? (BA Gold)
The oneworld rules governing lounge access should permit you access to lounges at KUL. Unlike earning for Avios and tier points I don't think the fare class should be relevant in that situation.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:08 pm

Thanks Golfmad.
I shall sleep on it but probably cancel in the morning. MH loss.
Changi and back then, still won't get TPs but won't feel 'done'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.