Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge not part of Club Europe fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Lounge not part of Club Europe fare

I made a complaint about the lack of lounge facilities on evening departures at CDG.

Below is the response, exact words from BA.

"As an airline, we certainly realise that lounges are a key benefit and that our customers value their use. Unfortunately, lounge access is not guaranteed, and this is stated on ba.com. Access to our lounges is a complimentary service, and this means that it doesn't form any part of the price of your Club Europe fare."
Is this a joke, as a Club Europe passenger and Gold, I am not entitled to lounge access because it is complimentary service and not part of my fare? 🙄 Should there not have been a voucher in the place of lounge access?
becks1, Sealink and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Both these entries on BA.com certainly imply access to a lounge should be expected. It's practically advertising the fact as a benefit.

becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
THere are many routes, including some longhaul services, where there is no lounge access at all. Admittedly usually to more obscure locations rather than Paris. Sometimes there are vouchers, often there isn't any provision. So I'm not surprised by the reply. It was fairly well known on this forum that AA closes early afternoon. Hopefully CDG will get a better provision at some point. If you wanted to really make the point, then you could probably take it further via the small claims system, with an uncertain outcome.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
They used to say this about CE food when you complained about the quality or non-existence. They might be technically right but it's the most cringeworthy excuse to use.
bafan, SxMan, Grande Annee and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
THere are many routes, including some longhaul services, where there is no lounge access at all. Admittedly usually to more obscure locations rather than Paris. Sometimes there are vouchers, often there isn't any provision. So I'm not surprised by the reply. It was fairly well known on this forum that AA closes early afternoon. Hopefully CDG will get a better provision at some point. If you wanted to really make the point, then you could probably take it further via the small claims system, with an uncertain outcome.
It obviously isn't a big deal and honestly won't waste time fighting it.

The lack of facilities was not mentioned at booking or at check-in. I do think at least BA could have at least done that. I'm not always on Flyertalk so missed those posts unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Schwann
They used to say this about CE food when you complained about the quality or non-existence. They might be technically right but it's the most cringeworthy excuse to use.
Haha. Definitely won't bother fighting then.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i have noticed that sometimes i am charged a "Lounge Access VAT" which i presume is only for select destinations? if i were paying a tax on lounge access for a certain ticket, it would be hard to argue lounges are not part of the offering.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by BA2158
I made a complaint about the lack of lounge facilities on evening departures at CDG.

Below is the response, exact words from BA.

Is this a joke, as a Club Europe passenger and Gold, I am not entitled to lounge access because it is complimentary service and not part of my fare? 🙄 Should there not have been a voucher in the place of lounge access?
there is no guarantee of lounge availibility on a CE fare or with status.
As corporate-wage-slave will attest, for many years BA refused to pay my local airport for access to its perfectly acceptable, open, lounge. No alternate provision was made either.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:48 pm

This is just frustrating CYA legalese. Basically by designating it as a "complimentary" service, they take it away as an entitlement, even though it's ostensibly marketed as such, so you don't have the right to sue them, even though the price of your ticket and / or loyalty most definitely has taken into account the cost of this service.
becks1 and BA2158 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I sympathise with the expectation of a lounge at CDG, but there is never a guarantee on any route, with BA, or with AF, KLM, LH etc.

Business class does not equal 100% lounge access.
BA2158 and HIDDY like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
when you booked, what did the OneWorld website state for lounge access at CDG? If it's what it currently shows then I'm not sure what you were expecting.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:39 pm

No doubt it is there in the small print, but some qualification in the above mentioned headline product description (along with the partial Club Suite caveat) would be more honest.

Despite the possible but unmentioned justification of product cuts in hard times, the reply to OP (implying that anything more than a seat on the aircraft is "complimentary" and therefore its absence can't be questioned) is borderline insolent, IMHO. But hey, this is BA 2022 and it's a neat way to dismiss all those pesky complaints. I just hope this wheeze doesn't catch on at McDonald's the next time my Big Mac is missing the cheese.
Ghoulish and LancashireFlyer like this.

Last edited by Bullswood; Sep 3, 2022 at 12:36 am
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by VSLover
i have noticed that sometimes i am charged a "Lounge Access VAT" which i presume is only for select destinations? if i were paying a tax on lounge access for a certain ticket, it would be hard to argue lounges are not part of the offering.
I've never seen or heard of this. Can you give an example?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA

the secondary question is that VAT lounge fee for tickets booked in F J or Y?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danmushman
when you booked, what did the OneWorld website state for lounge access at CDG? If it's what it currently shows then I'm not sure what you were expecting.
I have absolutely no idea. When I booked my ticket on ba.com lounge access was advertised as a benefit of booking Club Europe. Don’t see why as a customer I need to check oneworld + flyertalk to find out if lounge access is available if BA advertises it.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JAXBA

I believe there has been a discussion about this before:
Lounge access hidden in ticket price?

But see these various tax rulings:
https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/...vat-treatment/
https://www.uktaxmobile.com/tis/dtp....0?OpenDocument
VSLover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.