Wiki Posts
Search

Redeem on QR. Via BA or QR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Redeem on QR. Via BA or QR

The flights I need from MLE to DOH are available on for 17500 Avios and £83.50 on BA. Am I likely to get a better deal booking with QR and transferring Avios? I don't have any Avios in my QR account so can't check.

If it was similar, I would prefer BA as easier to contact if problems
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by kingcole974
The flights I need from MLE to DOH are available on for 17500 Avios and £83.50 on BA. Am I likely to get a better deal booking with QR and transferring Avios? I don't have any Avios in my QR account so can't check.

Just go with BA - even if there was a small cash difference (there shouldn't be) I have preferred to book Qatar flights via BA for the ability to call and cancel or amend much easier then trying to get through to Qatar's call centres!

Pilot37
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:52 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Cash and Avios components are the same on QR in my experience (just checked - MLE-DOH in Y is indeed 17.5k + £84), except for when they offer extra seats for 2x the Avios. I booked LHR-MEL through BA for the same reasons given, because their CS are easier to deal with.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:20 am

It is worth checking as seems to vary on some routes - I just booked MUC/DOH/SYD next month on QR Business class for 90k Avios but BA website quoted 113k for the same flights.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by kingcole974

Very easy to link your accounts then you can use either to book without having to transfer Avios.
efincomputer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:48 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Bullswood
It is worth checking as seems to vary on some routes - I just booked MUC/DOH/SYD next month on QR Business class for 90k Avios but BA website quoted 113k for the same flights.
That's strange. According to the QR redemption calculator 113k would be the price for MUC-DOH and DOH-SYD booked as separate flights, not a single itinerary. I definitely booked LHR-DOH-MEL for 90k in J through BA!
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by dsf
That's strange. According to the QR redemption calculator 113k would be the price for MUC-DOH and DOH-SYD booked as separate flights, not a single itinerary. I definitely booked LHR-DOH-MEL for 90k in J through BA!
I've personally had this issue before. The LHR routes have been re-programmed (so to speak?) correctly but EU-DOH-[anywhere else] seems to not show correctly. I had a DUB-DOH-HKG a few months back that was pricing through incorrectly so I just transferred to QR and did that.

I've never dealt with QR customer service on particularly difficult topics. The times I have, they have been very helpful and notice their staff are very well trained at every stage of the journey.
dsf and Bullswood like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
I would book with QR if it‘s on QR metal, because if your flight gets cancelled, then QR will easily move you onto another flight, without having to worry if there is reward space. And as other users have mentioned, you just have to link your BA and QR accounts, without the need to transfer avios between them.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:14 am

I understood that Avios reward availability on QR would be replicated on BA website? As an entry-tier QR FF, I booked a business class redemption via DOH to MEL in November earlier today (surprisingly as it's during the World Cup period) using quite a range of availability which isn't shown on the BA or QF or AA sites (and no, it wasn't the Q2 double Avios option, just the standard 90k).
Ditto with a recent QF business redemption BKK/SYD which wasn't available via BA or AA (and no, it wasn't the enhanced availability for high tier QF members). It does seem that increasingly it's necessary to check the various carrier's individual websites. Is there a trend towards holding back availability from other OW carriers (I see on other FT forums that Cathay apparently does this) as this would seem to negate the supposed alliance benefits? As an aside, DOH doesn't even feature on fellow OW member QF's city search for redemptions, presumably because of their EK link!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:54 am

If you look on the QR forum it seems QR are bumping partner bookings on oversold flights over any other type of booking... if the costs were the same i would go with QR based on that info alone.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Considering upgrading my QR ticketed and operated flight to DOH on the A380 from J to F using BA Avios.
How do I do that? I don't have a Privilege account
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by 81romeo
Considering upgrading my QR ticketed and operated flight to DOH on the A380 from J to F using BA Avios.
How do I do that? I don't have a Privilege account
probably a better question for the QR forum, but you will need a privilege account linked to your BA account
81romeo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.