Search

T5 security plastic bag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
T5 security plastic bag

Hi,

Does anyone know if they still give out small plastic bags to store liquids?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes they do, but you are best to use a freezer bag with a firm press seal, and do it at home rather than hold people up in the queue. Some places want "their" bag to be used, but T5 isn't in this group. 20cm by 20 cm maximum, no more than 10 items, maximum 100ml per item. Some exceptions apply for medicines and baby food.
RJD1983, squawk and dcmike like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes they do, but you are best to use a freezer bag with a firm press seal, and do it at home rather than hold people up in the queue. Some places want "their" bag to be used, but T5 isn't in this group. 20cm by 20 cm maximum, no more than 10 items, maximum 100ml per item. Some exceptions apply for medicines and baby food.
Thanks useful tips
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
The last few times I've been through the place where the bags are normally available to pick up has been empty. Although maybe they have changed it so that you now have to ask for one?

Edit: That's just First Wing security so the others may differ.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
An oddity I've noticed recently is going through the relative quiet of the first wing (and the VS equivalent) they are quite strict about 1 bag per passenger, closed bag etc. Going through the cattle market of normal security they're not.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tinkicker
An oddity I've noticed recently is going through the relative quiet of the first wing (and the VS equivalent) they are quite strict about 1 bag per passenger, closed bag etc. Going through the cattle market of normal security they're not.
I would say that's an anecdote from a recent set of experiences, but I could give other anecdotes in the reverse direction. Staff vary in approach, and the one area where this may be understood relates to workload priorities: if main security is busy then staff have to get people to understand the restrictions when they are often quite frazzled. Liquids will be just one thing of many. Whereas the much lower workload in TFW means that staff can devote more time to making sure these retrictions are being followed. But overall I would not say there is a massive difference on the liquid bag processing, it's the same staff, same rule book.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes I have seen a security officer once in TFW spend five minutes fishing out liquids from several bags and bagging them up for scanning for a family that doesn’t ever seem to have travelled at all in the last 15 years and were completely unprepared. I doubt that would happen in normal security.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: Some
T5 F Wing has been out of bags the last couple of times I’ve been through. I find the LHR bags a bit thin / flimsy personally, I normally pick up the Fraport branded ones which feel much sturdier.

I also normally find T5 security very helpful. Sadly, I am making a formal complaint about Heathrow security for the first time ever this morning, after the lady manning F Wing security scratched my leather holdall aggressively throwing it onto its side in the tray for no reason, with a requirement that the security supervisor subsequently told me was made up. Not good.
flyerkit and RJD1983 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LGW "Premium Gatwick" ... my backpack pulled for secondary. Screener solemnly removes disposable cigarette lighter containing about 5 ml of liquefied gas, places it in a ziplock bag and solemnly returns it to me.

Any Caribbean airport ... disposable lighters always confiscated! Never been able to find the rule published anywhere!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
We can wish for the day that bagging liquids is a thing of the past but I don’t think that will ever happen. As mentioned in another thread a while ago by someone, airport requirements are slow to change as it requires global agreement in most cases.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by T8191
LGW "Premium Gatwick" ... my backpack pulled for secondary. Screener solemnly removes disposable cigarette lighter containing about 5 ml of liquefied gas, places it in a ziplock bag and solemnly returns it to me.

Any Caribbean airport ... disposable lighters always confiscated! Never been able to find the rule published anywhere!
I usually keep one about my person and two in the bag in separate places. Invariably once they find one they'll then leave you alone. Have equally given up on fighting the rule. It's clearly on their sign before security (Barbados and Antigua at least). You just have to roll with it.
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by T8191

I always put the lighter in my carry on in Europe and has never been an issue, apart once years ago in TXL, when I had a Zippo and was told that no way it's allowed through. Disposables only after that.
In China, other hand... seems to be a national sport to free you from all the lighters
And it reminded me another odd one in STN, also a while ago. One screener in one security lane was shouting at people to take the containers out of plastic bags and lay them on the tray for easier inspection.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
We can wish for the day that bagging liquids is a thing of the past but I don’t think that will ever happen.
Brisbane has been running a trial on that with CT scanning for a while. Not sure it's 100% of the time or 100% of lanes but liquids stay in the cabin bag.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Not BA related, but I remember flying from Manchester right after the liquid in bag rule came in. They were charging £1 per bag to everyone.

Sometimes you struggle to have sympathy with businesses who profit out of customers.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:16 pm

I am amazed after 20 years we still need the clear bags and the 100ml rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.