Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Lounge access

I’ve not previously tried using Emerald and a “same day” BA flight to get lounge access on the first leg of a trip (that’s not OneWorld) but reading the BA website it looks possible, but I’m just not sure how best to do it / who to ask at the airport etc. So any pointers appreciated….

Specifics are: first leg is later today MLE-DXB land in DXB 9:30pm (Emirates in business class but was a paid upgrade so doesn’t come with lounge access for crying out loud.). Then 1:30am flight in First on BA home. I’m a GGL so Emerald.

The BA flights from the Maldives normally leave in the morning, so don’t think any BA staff will be in the airport. And I don’t think the flight runs this time or year anyway (did during covid but that’s stopped now I think). So not sure who to ask? When we fly back direct with BA the check in staff normally have to give you a specific card to enter the lounge here in Maldives even with a BA First/Business boarding pass, so I need to get hold of one of those somehow I think by explaining to someone who’s not part of OneWorld that I might be allowed access… plus the flights are separate tickets so that probably scrambles my chances further.

I’m thinking my chances of this working out are not so good… so probably seats in Costa Coffee instead!

Also, separately - anyone know the best way to transfer Dubai T3 (inbound on Emirates) to Dubai T1 (outbound on BA). They’re separate tickets.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I’m not sure what you read but BA and Oneworld rules do not provide lounge access before your flight from MLE on a non-oneworld airline.
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Ah… Costa it is then!

Thought I’d read that if you have a same-day (or before 6am) flight with a OneWorld then you can access lounges using that. But didn’t read all the condition etc. Sorry to confuse people. Maybe better to delete the thread in case anyone else reads what I wrote and assumes it’s possible? (But not sure I have permissions to delete it.)
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Oneworld lounge access by status requires a person to be flying on a oneworld member airline.
Members of oneworld airline frequent flyer programmes with the equivalent of oneworld Emerald or Sapphire tier status can use lounges offered by oneworld airlines when departing on any flight marketed and operated by any oneworld member airline, regardless of cabin class being flown
The 6am language refers to the airport the oneworld flight is departing from.
  • Access is available on the day of travel (or before 06:00am the following day), at the airport from which the oneworld flight on which the eligible customer is travelling departs.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Oneworld lounge access by status requires a person to be flying on a oneworld member airline.

The 6am language refers to the airport the oneworld flight is departing from.
Those look like the words I read. So it’s the fact the leg goes from a different airport that’s stopping me - seems fair enough to me
Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:46 pm

Anecdotally there is just one airside lounge at Male - The Leela Lounge which is a third party affair. Its not a Priority Pass lounge either. From memory it costs about USD40 per person to access. I used it once on a QR J ticket and didn't think it was worth the money had I been paying. This year when taking a similar trip to yours, I just headed down from the duty free / food court level to the departure level and hung out at the gate - far quieter than the upstairs area.

As for the DXB transfer its a paid transfer unfortunately. You'll need to clear immigration at T3, collect chrcked bags then head over to T1 and check in with BA.

Dubai RTA operates a vehicle from Airport Terminal 3 Metro Station 2 to Airport Terminal 1 Metro Station 2 every 5 minutes. Tickets cost AED 4 - AED 6 and the journey takes 1 min.

I'd recommend looking at purchasing a meet and greet service with someone like Marhaba. They're generally very good, will fast track you through the necessary check points and may even have a transit package that makes the experience a bit more seamless. I've only ever booked separate arrival and departure services with them as we broke the journey in DXB when we travelled.
Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Aug 24, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Old Aug 24, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The "same day or before 6am" language is really about people who want to access lounge based on cabin of travel and have a journey with multiple OW flights, some of which are in a lower cabin. So basically, you have no status, you are flying LHR-JFK in J on AA but before that you are flying GVA-LHR in Y (be it on the same or a different ticket) on BA, the OW rules mean that you can enjoy lounge at GVA too (whilst you couldn't based on that GVA-LHR flight in Y alone).

For anyone with status like the OP, that part of the rule is almost* entirely irrelevant (except when flying with airlines which give different lounge access based on status and class of travel, such as BA F at LHR or JFK, or QR J or F). In no case does status allow lounge access for a non-OW flight (though because of the rule, if you are flying, say, X-Y-X on LX and then X-LHR on BA on the same day, you could technically enter the BA lounge in X before your LX flight, but only by misleadingly showing your BA -- rather than LX -- BP to get in and implicitly pretending you are just here very early for your flight. And still, that doesn't work everywhere as often it will be different terminals and in some places like GVA, BA lounges have a tendency to only accept pax a couple of hours before their flight anyway because of over-crowding!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:06 am
Original Poster

1Aturnleft thanks for the info on the transfer - didn’t realise it was going to involve a train and stuff, and might well have got caught out wondering what to look for if you hadn’t pointed me at the metro/station signs. Appreciated.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
1Aturnleft 's suggestion of Marhaba seconded. Makes life much easier.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Splotly
1Aturnleft thanks for the info on the transfer - didn’t realise it was going to involve a train and stuff, and might well have got caught out wondering what to look for if you hadn’t pointed me at the metro/station signs. Appreciated.
You walk to the metro station at T3, take a road vehicle from there which drops you at the metro station at T1 .... no trains involved. you can purchase tickets for the transfer at the metro station.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You walk to the metro station at T3, take a road vehicle from there which drops you at the metro station at T1 .... no trains involved. you can purchase tickets for the transfer at the metro station.
Thinking I’m going to wait and break this news to the missus as we’re heading there… there just seems no need for any premature shouting at me!
SxMan and SKT-DK like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
As others already said, not a chance. There was a time, up until about 10-15 years ago, when gold card holders were entitled to use the BA lounges even when flying on a non-oneworld airline, but that now-discontinued perk was only available strictly with BA-branded lounges and without guests, so it wouldn't have worked at airports like MLE.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 7:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by London Dude
As others already said, not a chance. There was a time, up until about 10-15 years ago, when gold card holders were entitled to use the BA lounges even when flying on a non-oneworld airline, but that now-discontinued perk was only available strictly with BA-branded lounges and without guests, so it wouldn't have worked at airports like MLE.
It was 2011 and it was referred to as the 'Open Doors' policy. There's 68 pages of it discussed here if you're interested in nostalgia.

new lounge rules for gold? [End of Open Doors for Golds]
SxMan and London Dude like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
The sole lounge in MLE truly is not worth much - soft drinks (as alcohol is forbidden anywhere bar resorts) and some pretty uninteresting snacks last time we were there pre-covid.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
The sole lounge in MLE truly is not worth much - soft drinks (as alcohol is forbidden anywhere bar resorts) and some pretty uninteresting snacks last time we were there pre-covid.
Yeh my main memory of the lounge was how busy it was, and how few appetising food items there were. There was a big tray of sandwiches that I grabbed a few of, which were alright from memory. They had a great selection of instant noodle cups if that's your thing!

This was around a year ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.