Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will a lounge stay open if the last flight is delayed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

ANSWER: for this flight from SFO the lounge DID stay open until boarding had begun - an hour after the flight was scheduled to depart. The First Lounge was available as well, and we were able to grab some food before we flew. All and all a smooth experience.

Flying out of SFO tomorrow, Friday Aug 19th on BA286 in First. The flight is already marked as Delayed and leaving at 20:19 vs the schedule 19:25.

My questions is will the Lounge stay open till that later time? It's currently scheduled to shut at 19:15.

We were thinking of doing dinner in the First Lounge around 19:00 so we could maximize our sleep on the now-later flights. Will they just operate the lounge at the posted hours?

Thoughts?

Last edited by nateinuk; Aug 20, 2022 at 9:33 am Reason: Updating with results
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:00 pm

The people who work in the lounge will have their families, friends and other plans waiting for them when they finish at 19:15, and because your flight is delayed, it unlikely that they will want to stay and work extra so you can stay in the lounge longer.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:15 pm

Not sure if they will keep it open but one world website says it closes at 18:45.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
The people who work in the lounge will have their families, friends and other plans waiting for them when they finish at 19:15, and because your flight is delayed, it unlikely that they will want to stay and work extra so you can stay in the lounge longer.
which is likely also true for the staff that work at the gate and they cannot just go home an hour before the flight leaves.

I suspect that, if the flight is delayed 1 hour and it is a BA lounge, it is likely the lounge will remain open a little longer.

Others with more recent experience of delays at sfo will be able to give an answer based on what happened when their flights were delayed
estrela, MatJarosz, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
In March I was on a BOS-LHR flight delayed from 10pm to 1am. lounge remained fully open
scottishpoet and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:06 am

DFW to LHR flying first. Flight was delayed 6 hours, lounge chucked us out at 10pm, leaving us waiting in the terminal till 1230am
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is down to what a station can handle, there isn't a firm rule on this. At some places they can't keep a lounge open late because staff have children, pets, elderly relatives to get back to. At other times, if it is known in advance that the departure is going to be delayed then staff may well be agreeable to flex their rotas around, indeed may prefer it to their original rota. I do know SFO has stayed open for at least some recent A380 late running. So there is some attempt to do this, it doesn't always work.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nateinuk
We were thinking of doing dinner in the First Lounge around 19:00 so we could maximize our sleep on the now-later flights. Will they just operate the lounge at the posted hours?

Thoughts?
They usually keep it open until boarding, but I've only experienced that when boarding from the lounge – if you're on an A380, then the gate will be further away.

Also, I don't know if the First Dining part of the lounge is open yet – it was closed last time I went through, but that's a while ago. Maybe someone can post something more up-to-date here.
nateinuk likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:54 am

I was on BA226 earlier this week which was delayed. BA uses the Club lounge at ATL and the lounge stayed open for BA passengers even after it closed to others to accommodate us.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
A couple of weeks ago, the lounge reception at PHL was telling the lady in front of me that because the flight to LHR was delayed until after 1am that the lounge would be open until about midnight and would probably be empty for a good few hours yet. (predictably when I showed my card and BP I was told the lounge was full and directed to the nearest open AA lounge in the next terminal ho hum)
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:38 am

As this flight usually runs late (averages around one hour delay according to ExpertFlyer), one would hope that BA have built in some leeway to keep the lounge opem.
nateinuk likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
The staff in the lounge might welcome the overtime !
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
On Wednesday the BA lounge at LGW Closed both sections on time (F at 1900, J at 2100) despite delays caused by the weather.

Thankfully we boarded about 2130 so it wasn’t much of a hardship, but the staff made it clear the space was closing and I think it’s fair enough.

the one thing I just do not understand is why airports wait so long to allocate gates. I get that it can’t be done all the time long in advance, but the gates at LGW were about 25% occupied after 2000 on Wednesday, yet they waited until 2109 to advise the gate meaning a plane load of people then had to queue to get into the gate area before boarding. 🤯

oh well. At least we flew!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
It certainly does stay open late in ABZ when there are delays - personal experience recently!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by nateinuk
Flying out of SFO tomorrow, Friday Aug 19th on BA286 in First. The flight is already marked as Delayed and leaving at 20:19 vs the schedule 19:25.

My questions is will the Lounge stay open till that later time? It's currently scheduled to shut at 19:15.

Thoughts?
Anecdote rather than data. I flew that route a few months ago and we left 4 hours late. The lounge stayed open (though some of the delay was after boarding).

My personal tactic is always to eat in the lounge then go to sleep as quickly as possible. The portions are tiny (the burger thing is about a quarter the size of a US burger) and the QR-code based menu is far harder work than talking to a human, but it works well enough.
nateinuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.