Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Retention of Silver? (asking for a friend)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Retention of Silver? (asking for a friend)

Hi,

A mate of mine isn’t particularly savvy on the whole tier point/status thing but on the run up to covid managed to get to silver simply due to a lot of work travel.

It seems his silver status will expire end of September and needs 450 tier points to retain.

I’m just wondering what advice you can give or if there’s a ‘quick/easy/cheap’ way of earning those tier points to keep the status for another year?

are there any tricks of the trade or is it simply ‘fly more’?

TIA
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
when exactly his renewal date? 8 September?

if so my understanding is silvers with renewal dates July-September 2022 have a 50% reduction in the amount of tier points needed, so 300 rather than 600.

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
stealthferret likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Tier points can only be earned through flying, yes, so there's no shortcut to them as such.

A quick tier point run could be an option, but given he's only got a few weeks it's likely prices will be high for short-notice bookings.

One option might be the double tier points for holidays option, however: Double Tier Points on British Airways Holidays bookings - FlyerTalk Forums

But fundamentally you can only earn TPs by being on metal in the sky.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Renewal date is 30th Sept.

He says the EC is telling him it’s 450 TP (back to 600 from 1st Jan)

I figured it might just be a case of booking some flights, is there a way to find the best £-TP ratio flights available?

We’ve just booked GIB next year so he at least availed the free seat selection before it expires!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stealthferret
The card may well expire then, but the collection year always closes off between days 8 and 9 of a given month, so 30 September it cannot be.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)

He says the EC is telling him it’s 450 TP (back to 600 from 1st Jan)

I figured it might just be a case of booking some flights, is there a way to find the best £-TP ratio flights available?

We’ve just booked GIB next year so he at least availed the free seat selection before it expires!
If his card expiry date is 30/09/2022 that means his tier point collection year would have ended on 08/08/2022. I believe that means he would need to collect 450 tier points before 30/09/2022 to retain status. His opportunity to avail of the 300 tier points offer was missed by not collecting them 08/08/2022.
stealthferret and Fatdickie like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Cheers!

Like I say, he isn’t savvy and my knowledge extends only to Avios and companion vouchers, never been more than a lowly blue…!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Note he will have a soft landing to Bronze (aka rust) for the next year. Options are:
  1. Earn 450 tier points by 30/09/2022 to retain silver (technically he would be re-earning it but without there being a gap)
  2. Earn 450 tier points by 31/12/2022 to re-earn silver in his current collection year
  3. Earn 600 tier points by 08/08/2023 to re-earn silver in his current collection year
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:16 am
Original Poster

That’s great, thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
That's how people get drawn in to this crazy world. They accidentally get status then realise that the free seat booking and lounge access is actually quite handy and, before you know it, they're planning elaborate TP runs and utilising every trick in the book to retain it
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
That's how people get drawn in to this crazy world. They accidentally get status then realise that the free seat booking and lounge access is actually quite handy and, before you know it, they're planning elaborate TP runs and utilising every trick in the book to retain it
guilty as charged, now I just have to find a way to get to premier...
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
It's so true. In my case, I was flying MEX-LHR-MEX to look after my mother when she fell and broke her hip. I hadn't flown BA for a while having had status on Aeromexico for a bit. I got Op-upped by ways from WTP to CW on the 747.

It was a taste. After having to travel WTP back and forth a few times for work (was a small startup and that's all the budget could stretch for), I got to Silver and then next step was Gold. Got there quickly and now it's hard to think about going back. I'm not chasing it this year, but appears I'll have enough work related trips to get me there either way. I doubt enough trips to go for 5k GGL, but I could honestly see me getting my first GUF this year.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by TTmex
Got there quickly and now it's hard to think about going back. I'm not chasing it this year, but appears I'll have enough work related trips to get me there either way. I doubt enough trips to go for 5k GGL, but I could honestly see me getting my first GUF this year.
The GGL first qualification threshold is 3750 if you manage to get the points by the end of this year. Worth going for as the normal renewal points are just 3000 a year.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
I'm a August reset so I've just gone back to 0, but did benefit from the extra year, even though I was on course to hit the renewal threshhold easily. I've got LHR-MEX-GVA-MEX-LHR, LYS-LHR, MEX-GVA, LHR-DOH-RUH-DOH-LHR, and MEX-LAX-SIN-MNL-SIN-LAX-MEX all booked in by Nov, but even with that I'm gonna be nowhere the reduced amount. But with that start to my year, I'm sure I can get up to GUF level any beyond if work continues to need me to fly. Let's see
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Someone will correct me if this is wrong, but I believe the seat reservations will disappear as and when the status is lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.