Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does data privacy equal no common sense?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
if this is your biggest worry in life, you have it good
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by megaloman
"Hey BA, your multicity booking tool is broken, it only displays 6 flights a day, can you fix it?" - BA's reply on twitter? "Please provide us with your full name, email, address, exec club number, your next flight and passport number, so we can investigate" - what they need it for? bug is affecting anyone trying to book a flight.

I had this with my bank. Their website wasn't working and showed a phone number to ring to report the problem. I rang the number, they started asking me all these questions so I hung up.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by megaloman
BA does not understand what their obligations from the GDPR are. My bank asks less questions when I want to speak to them.
Indeed. Imagine this interaction.

Me: We just spoke. Can you see the email address of my Exec Club account?

Agent: Yes.

Me: That was supposed to be on my PNR. You had typed it incorrectly by two letters. It needs to be corrected, else emails from BA regarding this booking won’t reach me.

Agent: Yes, I’m sorry for that.

Me: Please correct it.

Agent: Give me your BAEC number, name, email address, physical address, credit card last 4 digits and expiry date….

Faceslam.
megaloman likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
But surely, if someone audits the call, the agent could “link” the current conversation to a previous one, furthermore it would’ve been obvious from the conversation itself that it’s a continuation of a conversation between the same people within a short space of time.
I work in luxury retail and the same thing applies here. It doesn’t matter if I know the person and have been dealing with them for years. I still have to ask them security questions if we’re going to be discussing anything considered personal information. Even if we were just talking seconds ago and they passed the security questions then. They can have all the info about what we were talking about but they need to satisfy the security questions.

It’s just company policy so that we don’t inadvertently reveal anything we shouldn’t to the wrong people. Frustrating, yes but keeping us GDPR compliant, also yes.
flygirl68, wrp96, Anonba and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 18, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
The think here is that the OP is looking at this from a customer viewpoint, however the policy is in place not to protect his data, as much as to
protect the company, in this case BA, from penalty if there is a security breach, in other words its CYA, and it will only get worse, not better.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Anonba
You can ask a general question without clearing data protection, but then the answer is only a general answer. Its usually better to pass DPA so the agent can discuss your Exec Club account or booking.

The more information given and that can be discussed, the more accurate the answer.
I’ve never been able to do this. I’ve used chat to ask if there’s upgrade space on a given flight on a given day and been forced to give a PNR and all the data protection nonsense. There’s either availability or not.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
No. But I design systems, so know this can be done - if someone cared to think about the customer experience.
it could be 20 minutes between the first call and the second call and the agent could have dealt with several other calls.
How long after the 1st call is it acceptable to say the agent 'recognised the caller' and avoid the checks? 1 hour? 6 hours? A day? A week?

sorry but this would not be an acceptable, auditable, working practice.

I have run a call centre
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:45 am

Another case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

The policy is there - as is the big investment in PCI compliance the airline is doing - as a result of the data breach, when BA was found with its metaphorical trousers lowered and customers suffered. A few fines, court cases and brand damage later they are learning how to avoid this in the future. As somebody who had his card data stolen and managed to prevent my life’s savings from being nicked just by sheer accident I’m grateful for having to waste a few seconds of my life in order to avoid a repeat of that experience.

Frankly this whole thread reminds me of one day in Iceland. I was flying what was then called Air Iceland, the little prop planes, to Isfjordur in Westfjords. Weather was rather flatulent over there and so we were delayed while it got to the point when the plane could at least land sideways. All of the passengers just drank coffee and waited it out but for one Brit, the kind of man who has a high-pitched nasal voice and begins every complaining sentence with a “Surely…” that could wake up cats. He goes to the gate to moan about the delay, and the activities they have booked, and supper at some restaurant and how the delay is inconveniencing them. The gate agent just shot him down with the best Icelandic deadpan: “do you want to crash and die when you come in to land? If not, wait”.
wrp96, squawk, Anonba and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by gcuk
I really don't see it as an issue having to go through three data protection questions when BA Exec Club have to call me back. It takes no longer than a minute or two of my life. I've spent way longer than that reading this thread
I see no issue when I'm at home and I know that no one listens to me. But it has happened to me before that I had to urgently call BA from lounge / public space - someone could have listened/recorded all my personal details - not only to access my BA account, but they would learn where I live and other few important bits - e.g. when I'm travelling next and for how long for.

Then we have another issue - BA asking me to provide personal information in every email I sent them - email is (still) sent in plain text over the internet - it may be securely encrypted on my server, and securely encrypted on BA's server, but it travels unencrypted through the network of servers who can collect/retain copy of my personal information - this is in direct violation of GDPR.

Then they ask you for all personal information on twitter/facebook/instagram - these are platforms BA does not own, some of them allow users to have a really poor security setup with weak passwords and no 2FA - so BA asking too much personal details is basically putting customers at risk.

In all above cases - why I can't authenticate my twitter account with BA so when I talk to BA they see my account as linked to my BA account? so then I can ask/exchange minimal information required to get issues solved? why do they have to ask for personal information every single time? can't they scroll up? if I can scroll up and see them, anyone who has access to my account can.

As someone mentioned above - BA protects their own business by putting their customer's data at risk.

My accountant required me to verify my email once, then I can email them back/forth with questions - they don't ask for my personal details, they trust my email came from me. I know you can spoof my email, but spoofed email won't get reply - it will come to me. Far less damage than having all my personal information at hand with BA email/twitter account.
aks120 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:41 am

Am I the only person reading this who has spotted the bleeding, bloody obvious? That the OP actually got through to BA and spoke to someone??? Surely this whole thread is based on a fictional account.
wrp96, DelTroon and ubiest like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Am I the only person reading this who has spotted the bleeding, bloody obvious? That the OP actually got through to BA and spoke to someone??? Surely this whole thread is based on a fictional account.
twice!! And the 2nd tine quick enough after the 1st that the agent could remember him
PAL62V, wrp96 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
twice!! And the 2nd tine quick enough after the 1st that the agent could remember him
It's easy when calling at around midnight UK time - calling from Singapore, I always get through to the same 2-3 people in India on the GGL line, with negligible wait time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.