Wiki Posts
Search

BA243 to Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BA243 to Mexico City

Can anyone shed any light on whether this route is experiencing frequent cancellations. Over the last month or so Flightradar shows multiple days blanked out and two flights a day (both with flight number BA243) on some days. Does this indicate cancellations or an I reading more into that I should.

We are travelling on this flight on Saturday and I consider forewarned to be forearmed.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I’ve seen this on a few BA flights recently, including this one. Assumed it was a bug in FR24 as the flight left perfectly normally (we were on 243 at the end of July) and often the same aircraft appears in the actual and ghost entry on FR.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
BA243 looks ok, 6 cancellations over the last 12 months:
https://speedbird.online/flight?BA243
KARFA and mikeyfly like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:21 pm

BA243 doesn't fly every day, that might explain why FR24 is having a bit of a wobble.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Yeh ba243 recently went from 7 days to 4 or something like that. I can't quite see a pattern in days but it appears to actually operate on the days it is actually scheduled for. Enjoy México
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:17 pm

It's a pain they pulled Fridays as well. I relied a lot on being able to fly Friday night then connect into Europe either same day or next. For routes with a lot of frequency it's not an issue as can fly Saturday night and arrive Sunday night, but for routes I need like Krakow i now cannot arrive by Sunday as by time Saturday flight arrives to Heathrow the next connection is on Monday. Now having to route via Madrid for much better availability of Europe connections.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:36 pm

Have they pulled Fridays? It’s Friday and I’m sat waiting for 242 back again?

Just a data point that the Admirals Club is the lounge used, it’s actually not bad at all - some nice drinks, Mexican gin (yum!), food was pulled pork, burgers, soups and sarnies along with some packet cakes. None of the usual AA drinks limits or extra costs.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Have they pulled Fridays? It’s Friday and I’m sat waiting for 242 back again?

Just a data point that the Admirals Club is the lounge used, it’s actually not bad at all - some nice drinks, Mexican gin (yum!), food was pulled pork, burgers, soups and sarnies along with some packet cakes. None of the usual AA drinks limits or extra costs.
I can't see any Fridays in Sep or Oct. Yes i don't mind the AA club at Mexico city. Bar tender is a nice guy, some good tequilas and they make an excellent coffee.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll make the usual point that because Flightradar is frame based, you can't really use it for the purposes of the OP, it's not a passenger focused app, very interesting nevertheless. The speedbird site is much better but the formal check place is
ba.com/schedules
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:32 am

I saw this diverted to KEF on 14 Aug, and continued on a different aircraft on 15 Aug. Anyone know why?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flew recently to MEX (2 weeks ago). Quite a few cancellations beforehand as like someone mentioned, flights per week dropped.
Outbound was delayed considerably (2.5hrs) made even worse as we planned accordingly due to having a 5month baby. Were only notified of the delay while leaving for the airport. Luckily managed to spend more time in CC room but all be it just sitting on the first sofa near the entrance/exit calming baby. Off topic, unfortunately baby cried 6.5 hours non stop after takeoff. Other passengers in first were extremely nice, think more so as we actively tried to calm him for the 7 hours. Not something ill be doing anytime soon again.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
I saw this diverted to KEF on 14 Aug, and continued on a different aircraft on 15 Aug. Anyone know why?
BA243 on 14 August diverted to KEF due tech issue. Unable to rectify, so rescue aircraft was sent following day and flight continued to MEX.
13901 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Update

Just as a data point for others for BA243 on 13/8:

We boarded via a bus gate and doors were closed by 15.20. We then waited around 80 mins for bags to be loaded due to a staff shortage…..IMO by far the better option than leaving without them.

Flight crew were excellent and worked tirelessly for 11 hours including some charming MEX based crew. Food was as expected for CW (meh!) and old CW seats.

We had to do a go-around on arrival as the plane ahead had not cleared the runway. I had always thought it would be a scary experience but it was incredibly slick with a smooth ascent and the captain explained what had happened within a minute or two. We were back on the ground around 10 minutes later.
mikeyfly and TTmex like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Just as a data point for others for BA243 on 13/8:

We boarded via a bus gate and doors were closed by 15.20. We then waited around 80 mins for bags to be loaded due to a staff shortage…..IMO by far the better option than leaving without them.

Flight crew were excellent and worked tirelessly for 11 hours including some charming MEX based crew. Food was as expected for CW (meh!) and old CW seats.

We had to do a go-around on arrival as the plane ahead had not cleared the runway. I had always thought it would be a scary experience but it was incredibly slick with a smooth ascent and the captain explained what had happened within a minute or two. We were back on the ground around 10 minutes later.
​​​​​​I really like the Mex local crew. Will be old CW seat in this route until 787- 9 is retrofitted, which is still a while off.

I've had a go around at Mex. Guy next to me started hyperventilating

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.