Live Trip report Cancun TP run

Trip one in our Target of Gold by Christmas
Our new tier point year starts today 9/8
Itinerary:
LCY - DUB, DUB-LHR, LHR-MAD, MAD-MIA, MIA-CUN
7 nights stay at secrets Maroma Beach
CUN-PHL, PHL-AMS, AMS-LCY (LHR-DUB)
All flights in club: tier points earned 520

Pre departure: we had one leg cancelled so managed to squeeze in an extra bit via Ams. Had to call up to reroute. Once I explained that I was trying to maximise TPs rather than get home quickly it was very straightforward rebooking.

Online check in: had to upload covid docs for US flights even though only transitting before we were allowed to check in . Took about 4 hours to be approved, I'm pretty sure we shouldn't have needed to but no biggy.

Positioning flight
Ba4464 LCY - DUB 9/8 1340
Check in no queue to check in
10 mins to clear security
V comfortable in 2C and D front row exit seats on the Embraer, although there appeared to be no emergency exit there.
Very good service didn't eat the meal but had 3 drinks offered during the flight.
Landed 1450 bags collected and customs cleared by 1515.

BA 829 DUB - LHR 9/8 1725
Check in bags v quick. No queue, guy at check in was notably surprised by our routing
Fast track security 10 mins, airside very busy.
Terminal 1 lounge - basic food offering - sandwiches and snacks, very nice carrot cake. Bar tender service for alcohol, self serve soft drinks. Very busy - at full capacity.
Bit late taking off but made up some time in the air.
Smoked trout or caesar salad were offered on board. We opted for champagne and a packet of Tyrrels, but the trout looked really nice.

In seat charging and wifi

Sofitel at T5
Super fast check in
Didn't sleep well at all, just don't find the beds comfortable, and the lack of natural light for some reason makes me feel jet lagged even though I hadn't gone anywhere.
Express check out at 0445

BA456 LHR-MAD 10/8 0620
Fast track security at north end, the fast track lane wasn't open, so took about 15 mins to get through the bag check.
Lounges were very empty, we went to south galleries had a lovely fresh pastry and a sausage and egg muffin.

Face masks worn on the flight.
Unsurprisingly the flight wasn't full. Who flies at 0620?!!

AA69 MAD - MIA 10/8 to follow

AA2492 MIA - CUN 10/8 to follow
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Starting my first TP run tomorrow with positioning flight to DUB, then Friday morn DUB-LHR-BOS-LAX and return after 2 nts in LA (which offers 640 TPs I hope) Am hoping that DUB presents no problems. I guess the lounge there doesn't offer much?
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The BA used lounge in T1 is OK in DUB, there's a little bar and food. Will tide you over,, not the worst. You can't use the EI lounge on a BA flight, you can go airside either via T1 or T2 as they connect, in case of queues,
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by higham44
Starting my first TP run tomorrow with positioning flight to DUB, then Friday morn DUB-LHR-BOS-LAX and return after 2 nts in LA (which offers 640 TPs I hope) Am hoping that DUB presents no problems. I guess the lounge there doesn't offer much?
The lounge was decent enough, just very busy. Everything was very smooth at Dublon checking in and going through security despite the business.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by Caroline Beale
The lounge was decent enough, just very busy. Everything was very smooth at Dublon checking in and going through security despite the business.
Thanks. Look forward to reading your next instalments re your flights.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Caroline Beale
Which lounge was it?
When I went to Dublin a couple of weeks ago I was told when I asked directions that the he lounge on the BA website wasn't open, (I didn't go and check)
I went into 1 using my priority pass (not sure if it was also the one BA use)
It was quite nice as they go.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
It will be the same one .. upstairs above the T1 Security entrance , it's the only lounge in T1 ... It's okay, but definitely not somewhere to turn up early just to visit ... Can get very busy ( at least they've put some seats back in now, they had removed a load because COVID ) .. Annoyingly you can't get even a glass of water without visiting the bar and being helped by staff ( who are often hard to find ) .. limited selection of food/snacks on self service.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Latest installment live from AA69 MAD - MIA

Testing out the onboard WiFi posting this.
BA456 LHR-MAD 10/8 0620
A very important update - champagne was proactively offered with breakfast on this flight.

At Madrid, transferring was super easy, no queue at all.. probably because still pretty early!
Followed signs for S Gates / transfers. No queue to have bags xrayed, no issues with us bringing through bottles of water either. Checked out the Iberia lounge which is a door right in the middle of the duty free shop, was very impressed, didn't stay long though as had to head to the gate.

Worth noting that at the gate transferring passengers had to show covid docs and confirm they have an ESTA at the desk before being allowed into the gate area. NHS Covid pass on phone was fine for this.

We were late boarding and late departing but should make up some time in the air..

Next post food.
m8_rotate and mfranzwa like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:09 am
Original Poster

AA69 Food

BTW there was a dog on board which is a first for me. I think AA are really pet friendly for transporting animals in the cabin. Super well behaved you'd never have know if you weren't sat next to it.
Here is the menu

I had the vegetarian paneer curry
I'm not vegetarian but this is honestly one of the best dishes I've had on a plane, then for dessert the sundae obvs. I stuck with champagne so didn't get to try the wine but I believe the cabernet was very good.
GOTBound, markmac and mfranzwa like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Pics of the food

Warm Nuts

Paneer curry

Butterscotch sundae

It is possible to mix toppings on request! Butterscotch and berries
HIDDY, mikeyfly, GOTBound and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm more attracted to their booze selection than the food I have to say.The dessert looks okay right enough.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:33 pm

Good work. Enjoy. We stayed at Secrets Maroma some years ago and loved it.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:49 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Good job you avoided the steak. Worst J meal I've eaten.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by PxC
Good job you avoided the steak. Worst J meal I've eaten.
Beef is notoriously consistently bad on airline meals - from my experience anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
So is there a conclusion to this report?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.