Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Power Outlets in A350 Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Power Outlets in A350 Aircraft

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. I'm due to fly SAN-LHR-SAN and the aircraft type is showing as A350 (351). Thinking about using my laptop on the flight - travelling in WT. It looks like there is a US type mains outlet between the seats. I wonder if it is powerful enough to power a laptop. My laptop requires about 90W peak while charging a battery and using the laptop but drops off to about 40 - 50 Watts on a fully charged battery.

Alternatively I'm contemplating carrying power bank as I don't think the battery will last the whole trip.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
All BA planes I know, if they have mains outlets, at least have ones capable of accepting a UK 13A plug. Normally they are capable of accepting others (e.g. US) too. From vague memory the A350 has these.

However, I would bring a power bank anyway. I have had too many experiences of the power socket either not working at all, "working" but switching off when it has any load on it (like a laptop charger) or being too weak to charge a laptop. If you actually need to use your laptop, bring a powerbank. I have had slightly better experiences with the USB-A ports on planes being able to charge a phone, but not much better.

FWIW I have an Omnicharge Omni 20c+ (20000 mAh, 100 W) which I quite like and is plane compatible. It's only issue is that I often forget to pack it.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abligh
FWIW I have an Omnicharge Omni 20c+ (20000 mAh, 100 W) which I quite like and is plane compatible. It's only issue is that I often forget to pack it.
Thanks for the product suggestion - looks nice. I will look into it as an option. Since this one is rated at 71Wh I guess it is plane compatible.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA aircraft all have universal mains sockets that accept US/Japan, UK/Singapore/etc, EU, and so on.

If you have trouble getting a laptop to work, then try plugging in the power supply to the aircraft before connecting it to the laptop, or disconnecting/reconnecting from the laptop after connecting to the aircraft, etc. The start-up current spike for some power supplies when connected to the laptop can make the aircraft turn off the socket, while powering the power supply up before connecting the laptop load works better.
JAXBA likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you have trouble getting a laptop to work, then try plugging in the power supply to the aircraft before connecting it to the laptop, or disconnecting/reconnecting from the laptop after connecting to the aircraft, etc. The start-up current spike for some power supplies when connected to the laptop can make the aircraft turn off the socket, while powering the power supply up before connecting the laptop load works better.
For my 90w laptop charger, this is what I often need to do. It's worked perfectly every time though.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quemalo
For my 90w laptop charger, this is what I often need to do. It's worked perfectly every time though.
same here / never had an issue on BA as a result.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:24 pm

my macbook charger, 90W works fine on A350, with a lot of CPU, RAM utilisation over long periods.

Struggles to run the hotdog warmer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.