Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Mileage Redemption

I was able to secure a first class ticket from LHR to the US, but was unable to find any intra-europe availability. If I book a separate ticket on British, how difficult will it be if they cancel or change the schedule on the first flight? Assuming I keep the layover at 2.5 hours plus and it on a British ticket, am I asking for trouble?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
You won't have any protection even if both tickets are on British Airways. If the first flight is delayed or cancelled and you miss the second flight you'll be on your own. If you're going to book separate tickets I'd suggest giving yourself considerably more time, perhaps even come into London the day before. Also bear in mind, if you're checking in luggage you will have to collect it in LHR and recheck it for the second flight as you won't be able to check it all the way through from Europe on separate tickets.
rapidex, KARFA, LCY8737 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:25 pm

I agree with golfmad. 2.5 hours is way too short for me. I would go the night before, or at a minimum 7 hours.
SxMan and Blenheim like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Goodness, that is a bummer. Thanks for the info.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 7:36 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Did you book this with Avios or Alaska miles? I find it pretty easy to get tickets from a European airport to LHR to US all on one AS miles request. Depending on when you are travelling, it can be worth trying other airports and trains are not a bad option from most European cities to London. If you care to post a bit more detail, we might be able to help more ---- when, which program, what airport? Edit...there are no first class seats within Europe that I know of....you have to book business connecting to first at LHR
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Even an economy added to the first booking (which would incur a charge to modify the ticket) would be better than separate tickets. Agree, though, that coming into LHR the night before would be the best option if you have to have two tickets.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:04 am

Also at least if you're using AS mileage plan miles, I have had good luck calling You First and just nicely asking them to add on a European section as the miles don' t change....just said change of plans and the You First agent simply added it on.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not really sure I understand this? You booked a reward flight with AS using AS miles for a BA flight, then you called BA and they changed the ticket to add on a short haul flight for free?

If so I am slightly surprised BA touched an AS issued ticket in the first place, or that a European reward sector is free?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:22 am

Oh, no, bad description...sorry. I book a BA ALTL F (either direction) and then sometimes realize I do need to get to LHR first so I call You Frist and they are usually very obliging and add on the European sector out of or to LHR. Once or twice it's taken more than one call but that's usually when I call the US number first and then realize my mistake and call the UK number....the US number often goes to somewhere in the world with staff that aren't really very familiar. I've had great help from UK You First...just the other day I changed a bunch of stuff and it took all of about 7 or 8 minutes with no extra mileage and no extra fees.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Ok, so this was booked with BA and with avios.

I am still not sure why you would have sectors added on for free. This absolutely isn't correct. The only thing that can be added for no more avios is a UK doemstic sector, but there will still be some extra fees and charges to pay, usually around £30-50.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:06 pm

Boy, I'm not writing at all clearly. The mileage, for example, from LHR to SEA is 70000 AS miles in F. The mileage from FRA via LHR to SEA is 70000. It is possible they asked for a few extra bucks in taxes but it wasn't enough to remember at all. So it's not a free ticket (though to be honest, I don't look gift horses in the mouth - is there anyone here who having asked how much and being told free wouldn't take it?), Had I booked the Euro sector at the same time as the TATL, to mileage would be he same....I really don't think I paid extra fees but....oh, I usually layover a day or two in London so maybe that changes fees? Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate all the help - its will Alaska miles. You are correct, the additional leg does not cost additional miles. There is no intra-europe availability on the dates (I have some, but not a ton of flexibility) I need in any class of service (economy's basically the same on intra-europe flights anyway). It seems limited for the whole month. I've booked British a few times with Alaska before, but was able to get the intra-europe leg I needed. There appears to be some dummy availability, but it kicks it out when I try to book. I'll keep checking back and see if something opens up. Might have to scrap the award and buy a ticket if I can't make it work!
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:23 am

Naw, call You First using Skype or other service on the UK number (on BA's website under First Class, IIRC). They'll confirm you are booked in F and then ask for their help to get the intra-Europe leg even in Econ (doesn't really matter, huh, 'cause those flights are all pretty short)If your ot in a big hurry and if the first call doesn't get what you need, call back in a few days. Also be aware that BA is not making reservations on short haul sometimes due to the LHR restrictions. Good Luck!
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:37 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lake_Hood
the dates [...] I need [...] the intra-europe leg I need
As has been suggested above, revealing more would help people to help you more. There are some intra-Europe routes for which it might be worth looking at a connection via HEL or MAD, for example, and not all dates are equal (e.g. LHR restrictions if your trip is relatively soon, UK school holidays...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.