Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCOL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:51 am
Original Poster

MCOL

I have been waiting 8 weeks regarding a EU261 claim from BA without any response at all apart from the initial email confirmation.

if I go to MCOL can you advise if the £70 charge is charged regardless if it goes to court or not.

sorry for being naive as not used to things like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by SheepyAFC
I have been waiting 8 weeks regarding a EU261 claim from BA without any response at all apart from the initial email confirmation.

if I go to MCOL can you advise if the £70 charge is charged regardless if it goes to court or not.

sorry for being naive as not used to things like this.
Yes, you do pay the court fee when you lodge the claim.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Yes, you do pay the court fee when you lodge the claim.
Thanks so you would pay the £70 regardless if it goes to court or not and this is how MCOL make their cut /money for helping in the process?

Sorry I am just trying to understand.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Firstly you write a Letter Before Action to BA. If they don't reply to that within 2 weeks, you can open a case with MCOL. At that point you pay the MCOL fee.

If BA wants to settle after receiving the court papers, but without going to court, then they should reimburse you the court fee in their settlement. Then you can withdraw the court action.
SheepyAFC and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Firstly you write a Letter Before Action to BA. If they don't reply to that within 2 weeks, you can open a case with MCOL. At that point you pay the MCOL fee.

If BA wants to settle after receiving the court papers, but without going to court, then they should reimburse you the court fee in their settlement. Then you can withdraw the court action.
Thanks for that and one last point. If my wife and I claim do I make 1 claim or 2 separate claims ?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Hmmm. My most recent action cost me £35 for 2 passengers, which BA agreed to refund when BA withdrew their defence. I then withdrew the case once all the money arrived. I also didn’t do a letter before action - I dived straight in!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Don't forget you also have the CEDR abitration route before MCOL if you so wish and it's a fairly straightforward case. Will be quicker than MCOL by far.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
Don't forget you also have the CEDR abitration route before MCOL if you so wish and it's a fairly straightforward case. Will be quicker than MCOL by far.
I don’t think CEDR is quicker, my last submission to CEDR took 10 months till a decision was made by the adjudicator. At least with MCOL, there are set Court deadlines to abide by for all parties and CEDR have given the airlines significant extensions due to Covid-19.
LCY8737, JD1905 and MatJarosz like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Airprox
Not necessarily. If the case is clear cut BA will not let it go all the way to court, but rather settle a long time before. My experience is that they ask for an extension and then pay, so from letter before action to money in the bank ca 2 months.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SheepyAFC
Thanks for that and one last point. If my wife and I claim do I make 1 claim or 2 separate claims ?
It's not unknown for BA to put up a defence that they are not liable for both passengers because only one of them is named in the action. Now of course this is only a delaying tactic, and once one case is settled the second passenger would just re-raise the paperwork and pay their own fee.

It does, to some extent, depend on the circumstances. I've made two claims - one for a downgrade, where BA mounted that defence (but eventually dropped it at arbitration) and one for a simple overnight hotel and meals, where everything was on single receipts and therefore it wasn't practically possible to make separate claims (and BA legal was so embarrassed I even got a call to apologise for the CS error in denying my claim in the first place).

So details matter here in terms of giving the best advice.
becks1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.