Wiki Posts
Search

Companion voucher upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Companion voucher upgrades?

Hi,

I have a companion voucher to use, we can only book economy with it. Can we then upgrade cabin using money or Avios after, or does anyone know if it has to stay as an economy booking?

thanks
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
You can upgrade after the fact however most on this forum would agree that economy redemptions are not the best value.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srbrenna
You can upgrade after the fact however most on this forum would agree that economy redemptions are not the best value.
thanks. I have been looking around and starting to think booking without the voucher and paying for an upgrade straight away may be the best way forward.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:21 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Sazio
thanks. I have been looking around and starting to think booking without the voucher and paying for an upgrade straight away may be the best way forward.
Cannot guarantee you’ll be offered an upgrade. What route are you looking at?

Are you looking to upgrade to Premium Economy?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JackDann
Cannot guarantee you’ll be offered an upgrade. What route are you looking at?

Are you looking to upgrade to Premium Economy?
Yes it would be to premium, it’d be LHR to either MCO or more likely MIA end of April time next year
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:42 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Sazio
Yes it would be to premium, it’d be LHR to either MCO or more likely MIA end of April time next year
Subject to availability you’ll be offered an upgrade online or maybe you can upgrade at the airport. There are a couple of threads here that explain the process for both.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...22-thread.html

Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2021/22 thread

The price for an upgrade from WT to WTP on the routes you’re looking at appears to be around £300ish , with the return fare difference being around £1,000. So you’ll certainly save yourself a few quid by booking in economy and upgrading, but there is just no guarantee you’ll be able to.
Sazio likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
This is a very useful thread.

My parents are trying to book a return flight next march from LHR to DXB next March, and they want to fly WTP but the companion voucher from the BA blue only works with WT, and so it looks like it would cost them 50K Avios + £200 if using the companion voucher, and no guarantee of an upgrade offer (or if the upgrade offer would be better than the £1500 + 46000 Avios that they are considering from the "Book with Avios" screen).
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry to bump an old thread but looking at a similar situation for family who are only on the Blue BA Amex looking to get to the US and want to make sure I understand it right.

1) They are looking to redeem their companion voucher so obviously can only book into WT on flights that have redemption availability
2) If they book as above and there is availability in WTP, are they then able to get in contact with BA to pay the difference, either avios or cash, to move up to the next cabin? As I understand it, the answer to this is no but want to check?
3) Failing the above, is it correct they may be offered a pro active online upgrade or an airport upgrade, which can only be paid in cash? Obviously zero guarantee of this
Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by BehindTheRadar
Sorry to bump an old thread but looking at a similar situation for family who are only on the Blue BA Amex looking to get to the US and want to make sure I understand it right.

1) They are looking to redeem their companion voucher so obviously can only book into WT on flights that have redemption availability
2) If they book as above and there is availability in WTP, are they then able to get in contact with BA to pay the difference, either avios or cash, to move up to the next cabin? As I understand it, the answer to this is no but want to check?
3) Failing the above, is it correct they may be offered a pro active online upgrade or an airport upgrade, which can only be paid in cash? Obviously zero guarantee of this
2 is no as you understand it. 3 is yes these are cash upgrades but not guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.