Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Prepaid Mastercard vs Starling in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Off to Disney World in 10 days and have all my spending money for food and merchandise saved up in my starling account which is my main bank and planned to just use that in the US as it gave wholesale conversion to $ and no fees. No point using my Amex as the 3% charge would wipe out any Avios bonus

Am I actually better just getting a BA pre-paid Mastercard and using that instead? It can be used on Apple Pay so I assume just as easy and when im probably spending $4000 or more, its a good amount of Avios back. Plus I believe the exchange fees would also be Zero?

Anyone had any experience with these cards?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Disneydad
Off to Disney World in 10 days and have all my spending money for food and merchandise saved up in my starling account which is my main bank and planned to just use that in the US as it gave wholesale conversion to $ and no fees. No point using my Amex as the 3% charge would wipe out any Avios bonus

Am I actually better just getting a BA pre-paid Mastercard and using that instead? It can be used on Apple Pay so I assume just as easy and when im probably spending $4000 or more, its a good amount of Avios back. Plus I believe the exchange fees would also be Zero?

Anyone had any experience with these cards?
Its not about the fees , its about the rate & from other threads its going to be pants with this card.

Revolut, Wise, Halifax and/or curve may well be a better bet.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've found Halifax Mastercard ex-rate is always very good, higher than Revolut and others. In south of France earlier in the year with friends, the rate charged varied by 3 / 4 cents - this would be significant in your case
Disneydad likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I may just stick with the starling account then. I was open to this one for the Avios but didn't want to go and open new accounts with other banks really
dougzz, mrow and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Disneydad
I may just stick with the starling account then. I was open to this one for the Avios but didn't want to go and open new accounts with other banks really
I use my Starling account all the time in the USA and I've always found the FX exchange rates to be competitive.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
You might be be better off with a Chase UK account for the cashback and free cash withdrawals at Chase ATMs in the USA.
Disneydad, pazza2000 and krispy84 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I found the ba prepaid to use terrible exchange rate - often worse than 3% off -- so buyer beware!
Disneydad likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

And the difference in exchange rate isn’t even worth the 3.5k avios either?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Barclaycard rewards (not the BA cobranded card) offers 0.5% cash back and no fx fees.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Was in Greece last week and looking at transactions on my Starling account the EUR - GBP rate was the market rate at the time

Seem to remember the rates when I’ve been in Oz! and the US being decent too
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
When I first started banking with Starling I used to check Google simultaneously as using my card, and it was as close as dammit. I therefore dropped my Revolut as there wasn’t any point. Chase is my second bank but has different strengths.
mrow likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I've found Halifax Mastercard ex-rate is always very good, higher than Revolut and others. In south of France earlier in the year with friends, the rate charged varied by 3 / 4 cents - this would be significant in your case
Revolut uses the interbank exchange rate and you wouldn't get better anywhere else. The only exception is at weekends when they adjust the rate lower slightly so not to lose out if the rate tanks over the weekends.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Was in the US in January and April. Used my Starling card all the time. Good to see what the GBP transactions are, and obviously no conversion fee.

I absolutely adore Starling! Been with them 2 years now.
mrow likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Another Starling fan here. USA, South Africa, and a few Caribbean locations.
mrow likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
You might be be better off with a Chase UK account for the cashback and free cash withdrawals at Chase ATMs in the USA.
Is it free ATM withdrawals in $’s at Chase (US) only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.